THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

15 minutes ago, opivys85 said:

Pictures of downtown from the parking garage at Orlando Health. I like this view of the city!

Very nice. I like the juxtaposition of CSP1 to the old senior tower.

Sure would like to see something done on that big lot facing Orange in the 2nd to last photo.

On 12/12/2021 at 8:04 PM, opivys85 said:

Agree. I am pretty sure OH owns that parcel and will do something with it in due time.

4 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Yeah, they bought it about 10 years ago. I believe portions of the property are designated brownfield.

I wish they would have the decency to clean it up.

Tear up the old concrete and plant some foliage on it

Or put a fence around it.  

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

A frequent downtown in Lake Eola often  but in all my years of living here I've never actually seen this kind of bird.

I was just walking my dog around the lake and saw those too!   I had never seen them either, so I went home to look them up.  Apparently they are Egyptian Geese.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was walking around the offices off I-Drive one day and three roseate spoonbills were just wandering around the pond in back. They stuck around for a couple of weeks (workers often fed the ducks) and I was just amazed. I had seen drawings and pics of them at Audubon but never a live one. Their color was incredible.

48 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I was walking around the offices off I-Drive one day and three roseate spoonbills were just wandering around the pond in back. They stuck around for a couple of weeks (workers often fed the ducks) and I was just amazed. I had seen drawings and pics of them at Audubon but never a live one. Their color was incredible.

I spotted a roseate spoonbill a couple of times in the muddy construction pond of water by the ramp from the eastbound I4 to turnpike. Found it funny to spot such a beautiful bird in such a crappy spot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

St. George’s is an interesting case because it was built as a Christian Science church back in the 1920’s. The Scientists left in the 1970’s to scale down and it became St. George’s. 

Over the years, they’ve continued to add more Greek Orthodox iconography so few know its origins now (the dive for the cross each January by teens in Lake Eola helped and made sure they got great press).

Sadly, of all the downtown churches, St. George’s and Downtown Baptist have struggled the most (the Baptists aren’t actually hurting - the downtown church is just what’s left with a mostly elderly congregation after First Baptist decamped to a megachurch a few miles west on I-4).

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wondered who might be anchoring Citrus Center with BB&T becoming part of Truist (no, that name’s not growing on me). I guess the answer as seen above is , nobody. I think that’s the first time it has ended up with no signage since it opened as the CNA Tower. Maybe we’ll join those cities like Nashville that consider signage atop a building to be gauche…

I also noticed that the former SunTrust Center is experimenting with a new lighting scheme. It was very different from anything I’d seen done with it before and I really liked it (the reddish colors projecting upward from the middle were really interesting).

Edited by spenser1058

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I wondered who might be anchoring Citrus Center with BB&T becoming part of Truist (no, that name’s not growing on me). I guess the answer as seen above is , nobody. I think that’s the first time it has ended up with no signage since it opened as the CNA Tower. Maybe we’ll join those cities like Nashville that consider signage atop a building to be gauche…

I also noticed that the former SunTrust Center is experimenting with a new lighting scheme. It was very different from anything I’d seen done with it before and I really liked it (the reddish colors projecting upward from the middle were really interesting).

I didn't realize the signs had come down.  When did that happen?

• 2 weeks later...

It's very difficult to get from Florida hospital to Orlando health in one shot including downtown and creative Village. Something from a further vantage point at a much higher elevation is going to have to happen. But I managed to get this on i-4. I'm going to go back to the 414 toll road because there's an excellent shot of Florida hospital in downtown Orlando over the treetops of Northern Orange County.

PXL_20220224_143427505~2.jpg

PXL_20220224_143427505~3.jpg

• Like 4