THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

3 hours ago, codypet said:

I thought it was a Ford Taurus

Also that Anderson St. Sign on I-4.......What the heck?  It looks like someone wrote an essay on it.

Honestly I had no idea what it was so I just guessed. 

By 1986 all cars were beginning to look pretty much alike anyway. 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m going with Taurus also, given the back end. That car looks bigger than Camrys did at the time, I think. (fwiw, I had an ‘88 Tempo after they switched to the “Baby Taurus” look).

For some reason I still remember…it was a Taurus.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eq1974 said:

For some reason I still remember…it was a Taurus.

That was still fairly near the beginning of the era where American auto makers started copying Japanese auto makers.

Hence the general resemblance of that Taurus to Toyota, Nissan and Honda, etc. 

Today they're all virtually indistinguishable. 

Actually, it was the other way ‘round. The Ford Taurus was the first of the mainstream “jelly bean” cars.

Ford asked its designers what kind of car they would design given the choice. After years of the oh-so-boring square LTD, the Taurus was their answer.

Ford was very near bankruptcy at the time and decided to go with the “Hail Mary” pass. They exceeded beyond their wildest dreams and the rest of the world followed.

This is a pic of a 1986 Camry still following the square design motif.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EY5PvKnXpwY

”Winning the world over, when you get behind the wheel. Have you driven a Ford…lately?”

Yep, I’m a Ford groupie!

Edited by spenser1058

8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Actually, it was the other way ‘round. The Ford Taurus was the first of the mainstream “jelly bean” cars.

Ford asked its designers what kind of car they would design given the choice. After years of the oh-so-boring square LTD, the Taurus was their answer.

Ford was actually near bankruptcy at the time and decided to go with the “Hail Mary” pass. They exceeded beyond their wildest dreams and the rest of the world followed.

So how does that constitute being "the other way 'round"?

The "jelly bean car" trend was America's attempt to emulate Japanese design and quality.

The other way around would be Japan producing the kind of big, square, boxy, undependable, gas-guzzling junk like Detroit had come to be known for. 

8 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

So how does that constitute being "the other way 'round"?

The "jelly bean car" trend was America's attempt to emulate Japanese design and quality.

The other way around would be Japan producing the kind of big, square, boxy, undependable, gas-guzzling junk like Detroit had come to be known for. 

No, look at that Camry. It was square in 1986. Yes, Japanese quality was superior to that of the Americans at that time. A funny thing happened, though. Across the company, from design and assembly all the way up to the dealer a new pride started and the Taurus came very close in the next few years to Japanese quality standards. Remember “Quality Is Job  1?”

You may also have forgotten it rocketed the Taurus to be the #1 selling car in the US for several years.

Edited by spenser1058

51 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

No, look at that Camry. It was square in 1986. Yes, Japanese quality was superior to that of the Americans at that time. A funny thing happened, though. Across the company, from design and assembly all the way up to the dealer a new pride started and the Taurus came very close in the next few years to Japanese quality standards. Remember “Quality Is Job  1?”

You may also have forgotten it rocketed the Taurus to be the #1 selling car in the US for several years.

Detroit's attempt to emulate Japan was not confined to just body design and build quality.

It also involved paring down the overall size and increasing fuel efficiency.

As for the shape, the '86 Taurus was not that much more rounded than the Camry.

The real rounded "jelly bean" designs didn't become standard until the 90's. 

But American cars of that era were beginning to resemble Japanese cars.

At any rate, I stand by my statement.  

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

“Now there’s an American car we’ve been looking for”:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UFzqZxGcNHI

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Ford was very near bankruptcy at the time and decided to go with the “Hail Mary” pass. They exceeded beyond their wildest dreams and the rest of the world followed.

”Winning the world over, when you get behind the wheel. Have you driven a Ford…lately?”

Yep, I’m a Ford groupie!

Then Spense, prepare to do battle, as there can be only one king of the 80's and thy name shall be described only as K.

image.png.7338dccd93e20b05a20ef3a136edc78c.png

Although it also spawned this nightmare fuel that was the 1983 Time Magazine cover

image.png.8c8d6d6e7bb51278002a64da7a8561da.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 9:50 AM, Uncommon said:

Can't remember the last time I saw a photo of Orlando in this thread. So I'll get this back on topic: 

F7D97240-4063-424F-9317-E5B3C092CB77.jpeg

oh wow!  how did I miss this?  that's incredible!

I tried to recreate it using those sight lines; that had to be an aerial shot from the far side of Lake Baldwyn.  maybe from a drone at least 80' to 100' up??

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1