THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

maybe Disney should have just donated $13.5M to the OPAC instead.

I think it is more like this. Disney gives away audio and lighting equipment (that was going to sit in a warehouse) to the amphitheatre and puts a BS price tag on it. Paint could have been leftovers from the Kraft exhibit at Epcot or something. Imagineers labor hours, which they were getting paid anyway, are added to the computation. They just padded the numbers. There is no $1MM that went into it.

Does anyone know how much Disney gave to build the PAC in LA? Just curious.

I think it is more like this. Disney gives away audio and lighting equipment (that was going to sit in a warehouse) to the amphitheatre and puts a BS price tag on it. Paint could have been leftovers from the Kraft exhibit at Epcot or something. Imagineers labor hours, which they were getting paid anyway, are added to the computation. They just padded the numbers. There is no $1MM that went into it.

Does anyone know how much Disney gave to build the PAC in LA? Just curious.

according to wikipedia (which may or may not be reliable) the disney family gave 84.5 million and the walt disney company gave 25 million. they are separate contributions. the Disney Concert Hall is widley known more for the Disney family than the corporation.

but it really is hard to compare these two. downtown LA and downtown orlando are quite on different levels not to mention LA's own frank gehry was the architect. i think what disney is contributing to the OPAC is pretty comparable to be honest.

i do agree, however, that they could have put a much better effort into the amphitheater. but here's my question, what is the amphitheater used for year in and year out. i know the orlando shakespeare festival uses it, but what else? anybody know?

according to wikipedia (which may or may not be reliable) the disney family gave 84.5 million and the walt disney company gave 25 million. they are separate contributions. the Disney Concert Hall is widley known more for the Disney family than the corporation.

but it really is hard to compare these two. downtown LA and downtown orlando are quite on different levels not to mention LA's own frank gehry was the architect. i think what disney is contributing to the OPAC is pretty comparable to be honest.

i do agree, however, that they could have put a much better effort into the amphitheater. but here's my question, what is the amphitheater used for year in and year out. i know the orlando shakespeare festival uses it, but what else? anybody know?

It gets used a lot... and offten....

I know this and don't even live in Orlando Currently.

And I disagre with your reasoning for the differance in givings twords the Disney Hall and the OPAC. The whole Idea that people and ogainizations would/should donate thier money on a tierd system due to some obective standard of what level a city is on is on is proposterous.

Its like going to the Outback in Tallahassee and only seeing Chicken on the menu... 'cuse after all... its only Tallahassee.

It gets used a lot... and offten....

I know this and don't even live in Orlando Currently.

And I disagre with your reasoning for the differance in givings twords the Disney Hall and the OPAC. The whole Idea that people and ogainizations would/should donate thier money on a tierd system due to some obective standard of what level a city is on is on is proposterous.

Its like going to the Outback in Tallahassee and only seeing Chicken on the menu... 'cuse after all... its only Tallahassee.

trust me i'm not trying to say LA is above orlando. but practically speaking, when a house that goes for $150 grand in orlando goes for $450 grand in LA, there is gonna be an over all difference that is merely a reflection of the differences in standard of living. the disney hall was such a big deal for the disney family who live in LA and adding gehry to the mix (another local son), it was a much bigger deal nationally when it happened than the OPAC will be. it makes sense that the disney corporation would give more merely for the exposure.

by your argument, then perhaps some private orlando family should fork over $84.5 million. ....ain't gonna happen. not in orlando.

ya'll can hate disney all you want. i sure have lots of reasons to hate them having given them 7 years of my life i can't get back, but $13.5 million gift is a gift nonetheless. i know the OPAC people are happy.

besides, Outback sucks :D

..... it was a much bigger deal nationally when it happened than the OPAC will be.

Oh so now your predicting the Future!

I would like to point out the one feture of Disney Hall that every one instantly recognizes.... The Rosales/Gloter-Gottz Organ.

WDCH-StageConsole.jpg

For the OPAC to be "World Renowned" a pipe organ of subtance is a must have.

I guess those organs cost more to make in LA than they would be here as well. (blatant sarcasm)

The argument about how much it costs is largely based on land value. The land in downtown, which mostly was traded from CNL to the city, is being donated by the city of Orlando. Your argument about how much a house costs in Orlando vs. LA doesn't truly compute into construction costs, unless the labor is much more there. Do Mexicans cost more in LA or Orlando? I would think they are cheaper there since they are fresh from the border. To get them to Florida costs much more in gas (or beans)

I know someone is going to scold me.

my point is, LA is more high profile than orlando on many levels. period. therefore disney of course would fork over more money. that is the way they are. but can you blame them?

don't get mad at me just for stating the obvious.

and again, lost in this whole argument which i didn't even intend on starting is the $13.5 million. disney didn't have to give ANYthing.

There was a big car event in Orlando today that kicked off on the roof of the Wachovia parking garage, so I got a chance to check out downtown from a new perspective. Here are some pictures:

img4015ew5.jpg

Florida Hospital

img3982bm7.jpg

img3985nd6.jpg

801 North Orange and The Verde site

img3987lk3.jpg

Uptown baby, uptown baby

img3995qt2.jpg

img3992ya9.jpg

img3993tj0.jpg

801 North Orange

img3994iv1.jpg