THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

Charlotte has taller buildings because it is a banking center, and bankers and law firms are the only major consumers of large downtown high-rises these days. Unless SunTrust packs up and moves its headquarters (back) to Orlando, there will never be the kind of tenant to justify anything beyond buildings the scale of Dynetech. That said, Charlotte is a bit of a Potemkin village, with an Emerald City-looking skyline surrounded by warehouses and low-slung sprawling neighborhoods typical of the South. On the street, downtown Orlando is much more impressive, because it wraps around a beautiful lakeside park, and is very human-scaled. There's really nowhere interesting to stroll in uptown Charlotte, outside of a dense 5 blocks along Tryon. The growth in downtown Orlando seems more organic, growing with the metro area, as opposed to some concerted effort by its business leaders.

I think Vancouver and Portland are great cities for Orlando to model itself after, and it should avoid any inspiration from Atlanta or Charlotte.

Thanks for all the comments. My main objective was to point out how close downtown Charlotte appears be from the airport, so why no height limits? Another thing that bothers me is that there is actually an airport IN downtown Tampa and they can have taller buildings than Orlando?

No matter how you want to put it, Orlando downtown is extrmely small compared to cities of similar size around the world.

Uuuh, I'd say it used to be at one time, but it has more than caught up in the past few years, especially since Orlando is no longer in the shadow of the mouse, the mouse is now in Orlando's shadow. And for those who are jealous in other markets because Orlando is getting so much more to offer than any other coeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeee

Thanks for all the comments. My main objective was to point out how close downtown Charlotte appears be from the airport, so why no height limits? Another thing that bothers me is that there is actually an airport IN downtown Tampa and they can have taller buildings than Orlando?

One more time: First, there is no law

Soooooooo...... anyone got any pictures to post?

I have found the perfect place for a skyline picture, If I were a photograher I would attempt it. You know where Doc's restaurant is accoss from ORMC. On the sixth floor of the attached building as soon as you step off the elevator there is a huge window to the left. There is an incredible view from there.

Here's some more pics I took from on top of the CNL/City Parking Garage...

408 heading east

top1pk3.jpg

some buildings on I-Drive

top2un6.jpg

you can make out the peabody, rosen, part of the occc, and off to the right are a few construction cranes

top3gv1.jpg

universal and the twin towers

top4ov3.jpg

Edited by bulldogger

here are some shots of our beloved downtown from a rare, less-than-elite uptown orlando perspective . . . most of these were taken from the park north at cheney place (cue *groan*) parking garage. hey--someone's gotta speak for the guys with [not a bazillion bucks]!

these are "medium" versions of my pics. for alternate views, click on a photo and select "all sizes" above the photo in my flickr account and select large or original. i have neither the patience nor the artistic eye required for an slr camera, so kindly overlook the auto-focus of my point-and-click.

a bit of the vue through 55w

557115899_e00d3c3a0d.jpg

solaire on over

557121113_bb9004663c.jpg

the courthouse and dynetech

557106381_869f83091c.jpg

55 west

557110363_44304c87db.jpg

colonial exit

557129327_c43466c31e.jpg

the lexington

556958318_b869c950a2.jpg

this week's demolition of the old orlando hand surgery associates building

557060533_01a76d9517.jpg

and one shot from my view at work (thornton park central): the vue and the courthouse

556906059_eaf58c3772.jpg

Edited by slapdash09

isnt there a parking garage at the end of the street?

it actually sorta ends into that orange/ivanhoe intersection with the old travelers building to the left. a couple of weeks ago they demolished the building to the north of the hand surgery building. the hand surgery building is quarantined off by dot signs.

the only info i could find on this part of the i-4 expansion project is on page 124 of www.metroplanorlando.com/site/upload/documents/TIP_0711_Dec06.pdf.

it actually sorta ends into that orange/ivanhoe intersection with the old travelers building to the left. a couple of weeks ago they demolished the building to the north of the hand surgery building. the hand surgery building is quarantined off by dot signs.

the only info i could find on this part of the i-4 expansion project is on page 124 of www.metroplanorlando.com/site/upload/documents/TIP_0711_Dec06.pdf.

Actually, it looks like those are being demolished to make way for a stormwater pond, albeit indeed a part of the I-4/Colonial upgrades. It does look, though, that maybe Garland will be losing perhaps a lane to make way for the widening/new ramps.

colonial_i-4.jpg

Actually, it looks like those are being demolished to make way for a stormwater pond, albeit indeed a part of the I-4/Colonial upgrades. It does look, though, that maybe Garland will be losing perhaps a lane to make way for the widening/new ramps.

colonial_i-4.jpg

how messed up is that? this is downtown, and they're building stormwater ditches? just make a grilled sewer along Garland instead with underground drainage pipes.

how messed up is that? this is downtown, and they're building stormwater ditches? just make a grilled sewer along Garland instead with underground drainage pipes.

It sucks...looks like there is not any special or delicate consideration for the downtown area in the rebuilding of I-4. Seems like they are eliminating exits and wasting valuable downtown land on retention ponds. Downtown may as well just be another office park. Looks like the OOCEA is doing a much better job with the 408, adding a lot of detail in design in the downtown area.

It sucks...looks like there is not any special or delicate consideration for the downtown area in the rebuilding of I-4. Seems like they are eliminating exits and wasting valuable downtown land on retention ponds. Downtown may as well just be another office park. Looks like the OOCEA is doing a much better job with the 408, adding a lot of detail in design in the downtown area.

i'm trying to visualize what this thing is going to look . . . are there any other "ponds" like this in the area that are similar to this proposal? it's not exactly like the big empty waterlogged areas by the eastbound exits off of i-4 at millennia and lake mary because it's on the other side of garland and not directly next to i-4. . . do any other retention ponds like this even exist?

i wonder if there's going to be a more defined pedestrian sidewalk area from the steps at that bus stop down garland to orange and ivanhoe. i_cre8, do you have more info?

in that drawing, what is up with that raised bus stop?

It refers to the easement and planned corridor for N/S light rail -- if it ever happens -- which is elevated along that portion of the route.

Of course, as sunshine pointed out earlier, the LTR alignment also runs across the 1000 N. Orange lot. Not sure if the MPB board required them to allow for a throughway for LTR.

Edited by i_cre8

i'm trying to visualize what this thing is going to look . . . are there any other "ponds" like this in the area that are similar to this proposal? it's not exactly like the big empty waterlogged areas by the eastbound exits off of i-4 at millennia and lake mary because it's on the other side of garland and not directly next to i-4. . . do any other retention ponds like this even exist?

Yep on the CSS board they have a pic of where that new hotel is going to be built. Just south of South Street there is a pond just like this one.

Edited by codypet