THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

Hopefully the Lutheran people will build something on their land.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like maybe transform their tower into something a little more modern? Does anyone know if Star Tower changed their design before starting construction? I feel that it is one that is going to age very much and in a decade or two think it is about as attractive as Orlando Central Tower or Kinneret.

While on the topic... what if downtown added a synagogue and/or mosque? It might attract more diversity and identity downtown! (Oooh... a Frank Gehry synagogue reflecting the Tree of Life or a menorah). ;)

Tree of Life??? (Animal Kingdom????)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No no no... the Tree of Life is also a religious depiction of sorts in Judaism. Without going into too much detail, it represents life itself in many aspects.

Infact, Animal Kingdom in its original conception had to change the name of the entry area of the park from 'Genesis Gardens' to 'The Oasis' because of the Biblical Content of Genesis and the Tree of Life. We would have had the Holy Land Experience deux. <- Oy gevalt! :wacko:

I actually had a chance to do some pre-construction work with the glass/glazing contractor on the Arnold Palmer Project. Originally, there was going to be a 250 ft. tall sail-shaped spire sticking out of the top. This was eliminated early in the design stages. It would have been the tallest structure in Orlando.

I actually had a chance to do some pre-construction work with the glass/glazing contractor on the Arnold Palmer Project. Originally, there was going to be a 250 ft. tall sail-shaped spire sticking out of the top. This was eliminated early in the design stages. It would have been the tallest structure in Orlando.

What a shame too. The project has already begun to be a beautiful and possible trademark of downtown Orlando. I cannot wait to see the sphere (I personally think it resembles an egg given that it is a hospital for women and children) completed.

Was the sail/ spire going to be only that, or also part of the building that would have rooms/ offices? When I imagine a sail on a building, I imagine the Burj al Arab in Dubai.

Speaking of the medical campus, has anyone seen the recently completed new entrance to ORMC on the backside? It's very nice and modern. The rennovations are coming along very nicely.

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

Great shot! Either the camera is a heck of a lot better than mine or the photgrapher, probably a bit of both. Looks like the BOA building will be completely blocked by the VUE from this angle.

Thanks.

I am trying out a new, more compact and lightweight 'travel' camera. I am getting tired of hauling around Europe a D2X or Bronica ETRSi just for memory-type snapshots.

It is a Nikon D50 digital SLR. I have to say that for the money Nikon has made very few compromises here. Noise is lower than the D100/D70 [and probably a bit lower than the D2X as well] and all other image parameters are great as well.

I really like that last one! Suntrust looks great from that angle, as does the skyline. I figured the Plaza would be creeping onto the skyline by now.

It's moving, alright. The massing is really incredible, and the two sides of Pine exemplify the contrast between the old and new fabrics. This thing is damn big, and not in a good way:

45722859_a4a3de25df_b.jpg

And here's a night version of Camillo's lovely shot from atop the Library Central garage. I'm not yet serious enough a photographer to adopt a Nikon digital SLR as my 'memory shot' camera. :thumbsup:

45722863_912b301cf2_b.jpg

I also had to get a gratuitous tail-light streak shot in, in front of the Waverly:

45722857_a032d34b57_b.jpg

It's moving, alright. The massing is really incredible, and the two sides of Pine exemplify the contrast between the old and new fabrics. This thing is damn big, and not in a good way:

Yes, the massing is incredible. I fear that it will look strangely out of proportion due to its height, though I love the project anyway.

Yes, I tried a variety of exposure/aperture combinations to bring out the concrete jungle, but that stinking floodlight always made it hard... non-SLR, you know. And I like clarity, even at night, so I never shoot above ISO 50 or 100. I'm still learning. ;)

Camillo, those downtown daytime scenes are glamour shots, like it or not. They have a very crisp, almost vintage postcard quality to them: they remind me of all the photos taken in the 1950s and 60s that were still being used in the 1980s World Book Encyclopedia edition I used to pore over as a child. Is the effect all post-production (saturation and color balance), or are you shooting with a UV or polarizing filter as well? Either way, I'd love to see some of your Europe photos.

Edited by bande_originale

Yes, I tried a variety of exposure/aperture combinations to bring out the concrete jungle, but that stinking floodlight always made it hard... non-SLR, you know. And I like clarity, even at night, so I never shoot above ISO 50 or 100. I'm still learning. ;)

Camillo, those downtown daytime scenes are glamour shots, like it or not. They have a very crisp, almost vintage postcard quality to them: they remind me of all the photos taken in the 1950s and 60s that were still being used in the 1980s World Book Encyclopedia edition I used to pore over as a child. Is the effect all post-production (saturation and color balance), or are you shooting with a UV or polarizing filter as well? Either way, I'd love to see some of your Europe photos.

Hello,

Yes, low-light photography is still tough with digital, even with the best equipment. Keeping noise low and maintaining contrast is difficult. Some newer camers though [both point-n-shoot and DSLR] have really credible 400, 800, and with some even 1600 ISO settings [low noise, good contrast].

As for my images, with my moniotrs, the images I see likely look completley different than what anyone everyone else sees as I manually color balance my monitors [special software and a monitor color meter] thus my images would not have much 'pop' on non-calibrated monitors, they would likely lok a bit washed out.

Because of this [and being limited to displays of 72dpi] I added some 'curves' and color saturation in post.

On my monitros the altered images look a bit artificial but I imagine that they look "OK" on a typical LCD or CRT screen.

As for post in general I try to do as little as possible [levels, a bit of color, curves, and some sharpening] though sometimes an image really needs more attention to shadows and highlights, etc.

Here is one pretty much straight out of the camera [very accurate, likely a little 'dull'].

1b.jpg

And the same image with a bit of post-processing [a bit artificial but with more 'pop'].

1a.jpg