THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

• 2 weeks later...

^Meaning, the Publix stores in other neighborhoods or the other Lake Eola/Thornton Park neighborhood stores (City Market, 7-11, etc)?

I don't think they are doing anywhere near the same level of businesses as the east colonial store. I have yet to have to wait to check out, versus always having a line at east colonial. I also went to SoDo for the first time since they opened. I was expecting to fight traffic on a pre-holiday sunday afternoon and that was not the case. I think I am the only person that is shopping in this economy.

I just went into the DT Publix for the first time today (or yesterday actually). There were very few people in there. I suppose they're expecting it will be like that for awhile. I imagine when that building & the others nearby start filling up, they'll have bigger crowds.

The two or three times I've been in the SoDo SuperTarget it's been pretty dead too. Let's hope Orlando can support these two stores.

I just went into the DT Publix for the first time today (or yesterday actually). There were very few people in there. I suppose they're expecting it will be like that for awhile. I imagine when that building & the others nearby start filling up, they'll have bigger crowds.

The two or three times I've been in the SoDo SuperTarget it's been pretty dead too. Let's hope Orlando can support these two stores.

Yesterday I went to SODO SuperTarget and usually its just like JFW said, but yesterday it was so busy I had to park on the roof because there was no parking on the 1st floor of the garage. The DT Publix I've learned to avoid at lunch when I want a Publix sub. They just don't have people to handle the demand for their subs. That being said my girlfriend went to Waterford and she said it was so packed it was nausiating. I had the same experience with Millenia and the Prime outlets. I guess that's where everyone is spending their money.

I shop at the Thornton Park Publix regularly now. It's never been packed but never been dead either. The business is usually fairly even, I usually wait in line behind one or two people but have never felt like I"m the only one in the store. Although, there have been times when I have went right after work or after the gym and it was actually busier than my liking. Between 5:30-8pm seems to be the worst times, I have had to wait in longer lines during these times. Overall, my experience tells me it will do fine. It's not as busy as the Colonialtowne Publix but few are. I kind of like that fact though, I get tired of doing laps searching for parking but lately that's starting to happen at the Thornton park publix too so we'll see how it plays out.

this is like Sim City. the Publix is opened. SoDo Target is opened. foot traffic is a go. now, SoDO is announcing all this new retail going in. Pretty soon, new downtown retail will be planned around the Thornton area and the empty parlors within Paramount. I'm still waiting for Paramount's neighbor, The Montage, to break ground.

^Meaning, the Publix stores in other neighborhoods or the other Lake Eola/Thornton Park neighborhood stores (City Market, 7-11, etc)?

Sorry for the confusion. I meant that it is never as busy as other Publix stores in their respective neighborhoods. I happen to live almost equidistant to the downtown, colonialtown and college park stores, so I use all 3. The downtown store is easily the slowest, but that's why they got that incentive, right?

Sorry for the confusion. I meant that it is never as busy as other Publix stores in their respective neighborhoods. I happen to live almost equidistant to the downtown, colonialtown and college park stores, so I use all 3. The downtown store is easily the slowest, but that's why they got that incentive, right?

Never underestimate the power of the old people that live in those towers behind the paramount. That being said I see an awful high amount of shopping carts from that Publix all over downtown. They're a little smaller so they're distinctable. I don't know how Publix can afford to lose those carts.

Never underestimate the power of the old people that live in those towers behind the paramount. That being said I see an awful high amount of shopping carts from that Publix all over downtown. They're a little smaller so they're distinctable. I don't know how Publix can afford to lose those carts.

The carts don't have those auto electronic lock things?

This statement should not be taken as fact since I can only attest to the times that I am there, but it appears that not as many people use the carts in the downtown Publix. Most people use baskets. I use my own recyclable bags. This might also be a reason for the lines moving more quickly. People are coming in, grabbing a few items, and getting out quickly.

I for one have always encountered fairly healthy crowds at that Publix. I counted the cars in the garage a few different times and there always seemed to be between 25-35 cars down there.

the one thing I don't like are the speed bumps they placed on the ramp; the lowest one is so close to the turn, you can't square your front wheels in time before hitting it. I'm sure it offers a challenge to all the skateboarders out there.

I for one have always encountered fairly healthy crowds at that Publix. I counted the cars in the garage a few different times and there always seemed to be between 25-35 cars down there.

the one thing I don't like are the speed bumps they placed on the ramp; the lowest one is so close to the turn, you can't square your front wheels in time before hitting it. I'm sure it offers a challenge to all the skateboarders out there.

Those weren't always there. It made me mad when they put those in. I have an older car and you can hear it when your tires aren't square on those things. Where do I complain?!

• 3 weeks later...