THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

I get what you're saying, but really? Aside from a few historic structures, what character remains? Don't you think that all this "let's preserve the neighborhood" talk has actually stalled the revitalization of Parramore? I don't wish to see long time residents ran out of Parramore, but Iam interested in seeing a vibrant, thriving urban core rise in this location that extends the CBD West. If we can have it both ways, great!

I think Parramore and Westmoreland north of the 408 have quite a bit of character. Parramore, especially with the streetscape improvements and whatnot. If you want to look at a successful historically african american community renaissance I suggest people look at Delray Beach and the West Atlantic Avenue corridor. They created a CRA and transformed the area - mostly through grass roots efforts among long time neighborhood residents. The area went from blinking yellow traffic lights at night so people didn't have to stop along the corridor to a place where people want to go and hang out. USTA also built their HQ there with a stadium - success is a bit mixed, but some other historic properties were rescued and rehabbed creating a great plaza and museum a la heritage square.

I've been saying for sometime I don't really care for the push to be 'upscale' in downtown Orlando. I don't want to pay $10 for a martini or glass of wine. Not saying we need nickel beer nights, but there's got to be a happy medium. Some good eats - Dives, Diners and Drive-ins - good jazz clubs and other attractors. Why not make Parramore into a more bohemian hip artsy place rather than some frou frou monument to wealth? Leave that to the east side of downtown.

I've noticed that people are starting to move in and fix up the houses in the area south of ORMC between Orange and I-4, particularly near SODO (take a drive down Muriel). Orlando Brewery is in that area. I think you can have a mix of light industrial/office and more affordable housing. There are some cute little houses in there. It'll never be Thornton Park, but it doesn't need to be. No reason this can't happen in Parramore either. But crime has got to be dealt with.

Edited by lala67

I think Parramore and Westmoreland north of the 408 have quite a bit of character. Parramore, especially with the streetscape improvements and whatnot. If you want to look at a successful historically african american community renaissance I suggest people look at Delray Beach and the West Atlantic Avenue corridor. They created a CRA and transformed the area - mostly through grass roots efforts among long time neighborhood residents. The area went from blinking yellow traffic lights at night so people didn't have to stop along the corridor to a place where people want to go and hang out. USTA also built their HQ there with a stadium - success is a bit mixed, but some other historic properties were rescued and rehabbed creating a great plaza and museum a la heritage square.

I've been saying for sometime I don't really care for the push to be 'upscale' in downtown Orlando. I d. Just neighborhhod with African hRITAGE,

wE EDx

I agree metrowester, if my post wasn't already clear.

Delray Beach is an interesting case and I think a Parramore group could learn a lot from them and be even more successful. I'm all for bringing a rennaissance to the area, just don't want it to become astronomically expensive so people earning the median income around here can't even afford to live there.

• 2 weeks later...

here's some pics of the UCF med school at lake nona:

may2009b.jpg

may2009a.jpg

jun2009a.jpg

jun2009b.jpg

jun2009c.jpg

wow.

Man, I'm a Gator and I bleed orange & blue and always will, but this project brings a tear to my eye b/c I'm so proud of the hometown U for all of its advancements over the years. Go UCF!

Best of both worlds... UF will have a biomed facility at Lake Nona as well!

I love lists:

1. UCF med school

2. Burnham

3. VA

4. Nemours

5. UF bldg.

6. FH bldg (I think)

7. who else is coming here?

wow.

Man, I'm a Gator and I bleed orange & blue and always will, but this project brings a tear to my eye b/c I'm so proud of the hometown U for all of its advancements over the years. Go UCF!

I love lists:

1. UCF med school

2. Burnham

3. VA

4. Nemours

5. UF bldg.

6. FH bldg (I think)

MD Anderson Cancer Institute. There were a few much smaller ones as well, that plan to be in the research park, but not have their own building. UCF also plans to relocate the College of Nursing to Lake Nona, although the building is still in the planning stages.

wow.

I love lists:

1. UCF med school

2. Burnham

3. VA

4. Nemours

5. UF bldg.

6. FH bldg (I think)

Great pics! How is the progress of the VA Medical Center going?

• 2 weeks later...

You know, our Orlando Photo Thread doesnt have to always be something downtown. We have plenty of neighorhoods and lakes that could be photoed to show that Orlando has soomwthing eveywherel College Park, Delaney Park, Colonialtown, Thornton Park, Parramore, Winter Garden, Kissimee's downtown, the malls and lkifestyle centers, UCF, the new 408, anything, etc.!! Show we are a real city (Uptown Altamonte and our beautiful streets and boulevard; Let he people see more than Mickey Mouse!! Let them see a beautiful place to live!

a

Just random pics...

bday019.jpg

bday020.jpg

gfgfgflgflgl004.jpg

Great pics sunshine! I know I haven't taken or posted any pictures as of yet, but looking at some other cities photo threads, some Millenia pics would be a good addition, even some of the stuff on Sand Lake and some tasteful I-Drive. A downtown pic from the top of the Peabody maybe? I've always liked separating real Orlando from tourist Orlando, but things are pretty much conjoined, maybe we can show a little more respect to that Orlando, Pointe Orlando, etc. Just thinking...

I-4 is really shaping up into a huge highway down there with all those new interchanges. And now all of a sudden the Turnpike has turned in to an intergral part of our expressway system. Orlando used to just be "Next 3 Exits" on the TPK and seemed very far away. Now the TPK is more like in South Florida. They really should build that interchange with the 417 and add a couple more exits, maybe Dillard St. in Winter Garden and John Young Pkwy.

• 1 month later...