THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

• 8 months later...

Hey all. I've been a regular over at SkyScraperCity. I live in downtown at 55 West and I take pictures of development in downtown on a regular basis (once a week, or every other week.)

I plan to start sharing them here as well. Enjoy!

55W Retail

IMG_3537.JPG

IMG_3539.JPG

Amway center

IMG_3498.JPG

IMG_3499.JPG

IMG_3501.JPG

IMG_3502.JPG

IMG_3503.JPG

IMG_3505.JPG

IMG_3506.JPG

IMG_3507.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

IMG_3510.JPG

IMG_3513.JPG

IMG_3514.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

IMG_3516.JPG

IMG_3517.JPG

IMG_3518.JPG

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3520.JPG

IMG_3521.JPG

DPAC

They've permanently closed the city hall parking lot. It's fenced off on all sides with 8ft tall chainlink.

IMG_3523.JPG

IMG_3524.JPG

IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_3526.JPG

FUMCO Redevelopment

FUMCO has risen above the street level and has one level complete. I believe it will top out at 3 levels (can anyone confirm that?)

IMG_3528.JPG

IMG_3529.JPG

IMG_3530.JPG

IMG_3531.JPG

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3533.JPG

IMG_3534.JPG

IMG_3535.JPG

IMG_3536.JPG

Just spotted this on my way to hit Jimmy Johns for dinner:

dejavu.JPG

That's on the north side of Pine St, next to the vacant lot on Orange & Pine.

That makes the 7th new planned business within a block of 55 West to be opened by 2011. Great news. Still an enormous amount of empty space to fill, but things are definitely looking up. To recap, the list is:

• Blend -- Night Club/Restaurant in 55 West
  • Heat -- Night Club/Restaurant in 55 West
  • Baby Grands -- Dueling Piano Bar in CSM.
  • Some Sports Bar -- On the 2nd floor and pedestrian bridge in CSM. This is a mystery. I've heard it discussed by staff, and it's been mentioned in the Sentinel, but I'm skeptical until I see signage or something.
  • Mojo -- New Orleans bar and grill on Church & Garland
  • Deja Vu -- The club from above. Pine & Orange.
  • 7-11 -- The 55W staff say this is confirmed, and the retail space which was previously being used for construction materials storage has been cleaned and emptied. No sign of life in there yet though.

I'd like to help maintain the projects database if possible. There's a lot going on downtown and I love contributing.

Is it a little late to start the improvement? They should have stared earlier, unless they build it fast before the Magic's game.

They could probably hammer it out rather quickly. It's largely landscaping and cement/brick work. The last couple of weeks they've been closing Church Street from Garland to Hughey. I think the basic outline of what they want to do is:

• Remove the underpass embankment on the south side of Church St. and make the sidewalk wider on that side. They've started work on this already, but no removal has happened yet.
  • Re-brick the existing underpass area.
  • Remove existing vegetation containment structures.
  • Install a bunch of neat tree-like street lamps.
  • Install a speaker system and digital signage. Pretty sure they already ran the cabling for this. They've uprooted that whole stretch and installed some kind of conduit from the new arena to that area ... not sure what else that could have been.

I'm not sure if it will be ready at opening, but it probably won't be far behind.

I love that shot looking down Church Street. That corridor is really going to blossom when the NBA season picks up again.

My only beef is that the right side of that picture looks so much better than the left. 55 West is such an eyesore and that parking garage could use a good pressure washing.

I love that shot looking down Church Street. That corridor is really going to blossom when the NBA season picks up again.

My only beef is that the right side of that picture looks so much better than the left. 55 West is such an eyesore and that parking garage could use a good pressure washing.

It goes without saying that office buildings have a cleaner look than residents; with their messy balconies and such. But if all you had is office building you have a much emptier downtown at night. I'll take messy balconies and people.

Does the West side of I-4 / Parramore have different height restrictions than the East side?

It's certainly further away from the approach. I have some flight experience ... while the executive airport is close to downtown, the only actual approach that comes anywhere near those buildings is the main approach to runway 7. Runway 7 having a heading of 70' would have an approach from the SW ... so, if you draw a line from the executive airport with a heading of 250', that's the approach path.

The holding pattern isn't even near downtown. Very far off to the southwest.

The only thing that MIGHT be problematic is an approach from the west, which would have to enter pattern around the north (i think.)

Even so, those planes aren't going to be below 1500 feet until they're on final approach, at which point they should already be on the 70' approach.

The approach plates might help explain this better:

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1007/00305IL7.PDF

It goes without saying that office buildings have a cleaner look than residents; with their messy balconies and such. But if all you had is office building you have a much emptier downtown at night. I'll take messy balconies and people.

I don't have a problem with the balconies-- I live in a city with more balconies per high-rise than any other city in the country (save maybe Honolulu) so I'm used to them. I just think 55 West is a fugly design. I said this before it got built and I maintain that it's an eyesore.

Edited by bic

I don't have a problem with the balconies-- I live in a city with more balconies per high-rise than any other city in the country (save maybe Honolulu). I just think 55 West is a fugly design. I said this before it got built and I maintain that it's an eyesore.

I actually agree with that. And I live in 55 West. Not a big fan of the monolithic footprint or the squared-crescent shape ... If someone told you this building was built in 1975, you probably wouldn't second guess them. :)

Alas, the location is what sold me. Being able to get to I-4 in less than 2 minutes is pretty awesome. The only downer (location wise) is that the Publix is so far away.

Here's a graphic I made using Google Maps and the approach plate PDF I linked:

ORL-approach.png

The red marker is approximately when planes will be below 500 ft during approach, the yellow marker is approximately when theyll be under 1500 ft. This is very rough, but it's close enough.

They could probably go higher in downtown ... and could even shift that approach slightly southward if they wanted to .. depending on where the MCO approach/hold is. West of I-4 certainly looks wide open for a new tallest, though.

Thanks for that -- very interesting.

With the cheap land in Parramore and this renewed interest, I could see some office highrise proposals in Parramore's future. For now, a few successful midrise offices in Parramore to start things off, perhaps creating a nice canon effect down Church Street. Eight to ten story buildings with the occasional highrise on Church Street would do wonders to downtown. Then, highrises in and around the federal courthouse district on Division Ave, and suddenly, you have an entirely new office district.

Parramore is easily the future of downtown expansion -- more so than Uptown, IMO.

Does the West side of I-4 / Parramore have different height restrictions than the East side?

Yes. The highest intensity is along the highway. Everything else is low rise with the exception of Church and Central. I think the limit may be 80 feet or the height of City View.