THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

Deepeyez I share your enthusiasm for what is happening to Church Street Station and West Church Street right now.

The one aspect of Church Street that I think needs some work is the plaza area cross from 55 West (is it 54 West?). I really think there is a lot of opportunity to turn that into a more "festival style" atmosphere. After having traveled to Berlin where every nook and cranny is filled with tennis and tables for beer drinking and fun, I could easily see that underutilized space as a sort of gathering spot.

It's a pretty good lingering area ... I think it will liven up once Heat and Baby Grands are open. Heat is snatching up some exterior patio space in 55 West for outside seating, and Baby Grands will be doing something similar on the pedestrian bridge that connects 54 and 55 West.

Only time that plaza is used right now is about 2 AM on a Friday night when the line to Geno's is out the door. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, great photos! I agree, I think Orlando is really developing its own style. It's like a futuristic Miami Beach (with all the glass, colors, and Art Deco elements) but it still manages to show off its frontier brick style like a southern town. I like the angles you used -- buildings I've walked by a million times looked new and different. Downtown is starting to look like a very livable urban area. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

This morning I was at UCF for the first time in over a month and was surprised at all the changes I saw on campus (new police station, reading center, stop lights...). But my favorite additions are the two buildings of theSterling Central apartment complex. They're right off campus, just south of University & Alafaya on Central Florida Blvd. The newest one (below) was still covered in scaffolding just a few weeks ago, and I really like the design:

ucfapts2.jpg

Leaving the UCF campus looks really good now -- if you don't pay attention to all the empty lots around the University/Alafaya intersection, it looks like a walkable downtown. While I love the area around the arena, I think it's great to see denser (and frankly nicer-looking) development off-campus. I think it sets a whole new standard for East Orlando.

ucfapts1.jpg

That being said, I think there's still a lot left to do in the area. I nerded out a little and drew a map of what I think it should look like (green = Sterling, orange = where roads should go, yellow = possible development). Let's ignore environmental and transit regulations for a second, and the fact that UCF would never sell its land east of Alafaya, and imagine a cool, walkable area with housing geared towards students but with retail on the bottom (think UCF arena area). Some really good restaurants and bars are already there (Lazy Moon, Jeremiah's, Anmol, Natura, etc.). If there was only a way for students to actually get there. Something as simple as through-streets would help a lot. Most international students don't have cars and it would be safer for people who are drinking to walk. It would also make bus routes more efficient. Anyway, just brainstorming...

ucfarea.png

Thank you for the photos, Alex.

I contained my excitement easily after the 1st phase of Sterling (on the left side) with no ground level retail. It's good to see here that it looks like they will have retail in the 2nd level...

That said, it's still a cartoon of an urban area. The environment won't change so long as there is a major highway running through it for one and also I think you made a good point about UCF's land on the East side of Alafaya. UCF doesn't need to sell it, but they would be wise to get over their "concentric circle" fixation and realize that outside of the biggest circle (Gemini) they should add connected roads with more entrances/exits on to campus and really open up that area on Alafaya. This could be done with the placement of a very few very tasteful buildings and keep most of the green in tact.

Until then, UCF is destined to be a commuter school that is great to walk around only once you have parked your car.

The current complex that is bounded by University, Alafaya, Strategy, and Turbine is supposed to be redeveloped starting this summer into a complex with over 2000 beds over a 30% increase in retail space over the current complex, rising up to 10 stories high between 6 buildings and a parking garage. I haven't seen renderings yet, but this should be even more impactful for the area then Sterling... although I must admit I really like the look of the second phase... I like it much better then the first.

Edited by aent

• 2 weeks later...

By now I'm sure you're all of bored of pictures taken from my balcony, but I was up at sunrise this morning (worked through the night, don't get the wrong idea. ;) )

5503602797_eb3159cd49_b.jpg

5503604285_21c63bfe41_b.jpg

5503605435_d3f3973694_b.jpg

5503606929_ddf2311aca_b.jpg

5504199236_1957ab61f9_b.jpg

5504200244_0bd939177d_b.jpg

Thanks for sharing... So, when's the next UP party at your place castovx? :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...