THE Orlando Photo Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a new angle for you.  This is the demo of a building at the ORMC campus making way for a new orthopedic tower.

I've loved this tree since I was a kid. (29) Just thought this was cool. 

The heart of downtown.

Posted Images

^ What is that? And is it actually getting built? Whatever it is, it looks too much like The Vue.

This is actually just an artist's rendering of SunRail which can be found here:

http://www.sunrail.com/uploads/assets/tod/TOD%20Sketchbook%202nd%20Edition%20Section%203%20Church%20St.pdf

Edit: However it does say it is a proposed building in the report. 

Edited by XpressEnterprise

Yeah - there was a book created (all of it's available online through the SunRail website in the TOD section) - just to get people thinking in the different municipalities about what SunRail could do for their area. In some cases, the renderings mirror real plans on the table (Central Station near LYNX and the development in Longwood, for example). I don't know if this large building is based on anything that was proposed but I've always heard hotel for that spot.

This is actually just an artist's rendering of SunRail which can be found here:

http://www.sunrail.com/uploads/assets/tod/TOD%20Sketchbook%202nd%20Edition%20Section%203%20Church%20St.pdf

Edit: However it does say it is a proposed building in the report. 

And thanks for the link. It says they propose to build a building on the SE corner of Garland and South? Seems like an odd place for a building but I guess you could make it work. They would just have to really slow traffic down on that ramp to make it more pedestrian friendly. People come flying through there if the lights green. I wonder if there's anything solid behind these proposals.

I haven't seen it, but I heard today that Bumby Arcade is getting some work done inside to open it up to the future (hotel?) development there.

I have also heard this, but my understanding is that they have been trying to do this for a very long time but are held up due to permitting on changing their utility metering around for tenants. I'm not 100% sure that was this building, but I believe so ... 

Not the best quality photo, since this was taken by a friend on Instagram, but it's interesting to see the several mid-rise apartment complexes lined up forming the street wall along Orange Ave already. This was taken from the courthouse. Now if only those parking lots and empty lots were not... empty. 

304104_10200274190367197_1419297301_n.jp

Edited by aleonrivera

Given what the current state of electronic information technology seems to portend for the future of the newspaper business in general, that may be a moot question.

The Tribune Co. (owner of the Sentinel and a number of other papers) recently exited bankruptcy and installed a CEO from Hollywood with no newspaper background. He also has a history working for News Corp. (Rupert Murdoch), who is said to have expressed an interest in the Tribune newspapers. Rumors are flying, of course, but current bets are on Tribune focusing on its TV stations and other video assets with the newspapers to be spun off. It's also interesting to note that when the Tampa Tribune was put in play, there seemed to be more interest in the real estate than the actual newspaper. Bottom line: stay tuned, this is likely to be a bumpy ride and who knows what may become of one of the juiciest pieces of downtown real estate (and the brownfield that likely sits beneath it.)

Edited by spenser1058

I've thought about how the two very large parcels at Orlando Sentinel could be revisioned into a thriving district that pulls the CBD and Uptown together.  Whatever happens here, I hope the city is deeply involved in the planning and zoning.  There has been a lot of discussion on this board about how important it is for a Mayor to have a vision -- this lot has perhaps the biggest potential to invigorate a new section of downtown with parks, scaled development, new retail, restaurants, offices, homes (even those brownstones that people want).

My idea is below. (sketchy, I admit)  If you like a particular city in Georgia as much as I do, surely this will look familar. I see two small parks, each perfectly scaled and surrounded by incremental development that encourages lingering (low to midrise is fine here).  Around the perimeter can rise mid to high rise structures (along Magnolia, Colonial, Orange, Amelia).

What do others think?

orlando_zps0ead5883.png

I like it!  Other than Lake Eola Park, the Plaza, and the Courthouse Plaza (which no one uses), there are no public spaces of this scale.  I think 6 - 10 stories is a good fit for this site -- dense, while not taking away from the Courthouse.

Alternatively, I would love to see a north-south street between Orange and Magnolia running through these lots, similar to Wall Street or Lincoln Ave in Miami Beach.

8421534182_520151a543_b.jpg

I am stuck in the office today, but took this looking North from the Plaza.  On another note, I ran across the street to grab a late lunch, and there was more street life than usual - people eating at The Fifth and Pourhouse, A group hanging out in front of SAK, some families out walking, what looked like a group of tourists.
  • Like 2

I am stuck in the office today, but took this looking North from the Plaza.  On another note, I ran across the street to grab a late lunch, and there was more street life than usual - people eating at The Fifth and Pourhouse, A group hanging out in front of SAK, some families out walking, what looked like a group of tourists.

Great pic! I also noted it was even busier today than usual for a Sunday - no doubt the weather helped. I was walking over to return a book at OPL and usually if I leave Eola Park and use the sidewalk along Central, I can avoid the crowds. No luck today- both were jammed. Also, when I stopped at Publix on the way back, you could hardly move in several of the aisles. Of course, downtown doesn't have enough people to support any retail! As Yogi Berra liked to say - "Nobody goes there anymore - it's too crowded." *sigh*

Yeah - there was a book created (all of it's available online through the SunRail website in the TOD section) - just to get people thinking in the different municipalities about what SunRail could do for their area. In some cases, the renderings mirror real plans on the table (Central Station near LYNX and the development in Longwood, for example). I don't know if this large building is based on anything that was proposed but I've always heard hotel for that spot.

That location was actually supposed to be a Holiday Inn as far back as 2008. Honestly, I think it would make an absolutely great location for a hotel. I know I'd stay for sure if ever I were a visitor from out of town looking to stay further intown and away from International Dr.

Uptown is starting to take on a slight San Diego vibe with all these mid-rise apartments.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I've never been to San Diego to see how it works.

I too noticed this yesterday--- the whole of downtown was pretty busy yesterday. It was great to see that mix of activity!