THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

Thanks.

Dont know how to make them larger...

Click on the picture in your gallery and it will give you an "options" drop down box.  Chose share links and then I cut and paste the image links to the "image" link in the post tools above.  Nice panoramic photos!

gallery_28971_75_1326501.jpggallery_28971_75_1646807.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can find pics of downtown before the construction boom (i.e. Sanctuary, Star Tower, Paramount, Vue, Aspire, Plaza, 55W, etc)?

I wish Google would archive the street view maps, it would be cool to see all the changes.

I have a few.

Will post them when I get the chance.

• Like 1

Does anyone know where I can find pics of downtown before the construction boom (i.e. Sanctuary, Star Tower, Paramount, Vue, Aspire, Plaza, 55W, etc)?

I wish Google would archive the street view maps, it would be cool to see all the changes.

Here!

942328_10200420892702741_924665041_n.jpg

If you're not already in it, the "Historic Orlando" group on Facebook posts a lot of historic photos and images of artifacts. There is also a lot of knowledge there if you have a question about something. https://www.facebook.com/groups/historic.orlando/

• Like 2

I really had no idea how much history downtown Orlando had until I bought my first home a few years ago. I couldn't afford Thornton Park so I had to look further south in the Lake Davis area. What spurred my interest was the neighborhood itself and the historic Lake Cherokee area. The retaining wall around Lake Cherokee is made of rocks that looked really old, and there is also a sunken rock terrace in the park area with no real purpose - but no one can explain what it's for. Supposedly, Orlando Reeves was killed by Indians on the shores of Lake Cherokee (then called Lake Minnie).

Moonlight tours are offered in the Greenwood Cemetary near Lake Davis. I hear the sexton is full of info about Orlando's history including many of the people our streets were named after can be found there. It's not morbid tour or anything from what I've heard. I haven't been yet but I plan to go on a tour once the season starts up again.