THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

• 2 months later...

It would be nice to see something that would help "connect" the RIDA project to Firestone, Camden, the new hotel, Steel House ect. There seems to be a weird buffer between uptown and the CBD on Orange in that area that makes it very dull compared to the rest of Orange ave, the O Sentinel complex probably has something to with that as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Too bad Winnie Palmer isn't more high profile & closer to Orange Avenue.

All the cool looking buildings in that area are set so far back off of Orange Ave they are barely visible.

I think Winnie was originally supposed to be 20 or 22 stories tall, and they scaled it back b/c they didn't need the space.  Now, look at what FH South did with Ginzberg Tower- they only built out the first few levels and left the rest unfinished until they needed it- now the rest of the floors are built out I think.  Winnie should've been taller.

But that's the story of Orlando, isn't it--- "should've been taller."

crescent - probably not due to the bell south building but will be taller than the camden apartment building in the foreground 

rida office phase 2 -- having previously worked on the 13th floor in the Bank of America building, can safely say yes

If you drive by the Crescent construction site, it does have an impressive footprint.  it will be impressive ala streetscape view.  I do agree with a prior poster that a Skyhouse-type structure should've gone there.  Maybe the mere fact that "a" building is being built there for the first time since God knows- will help break the drought and allow maybe a re-design for the future buildings on that tract.

I doubt the hotel will increase in size.  But maybe the office building will.  Maybe they can build another multi-use tower with parking underneath like Dynetech and get the height up there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At least in 1981 you could buy a pair of shoes downtown. Try that today. As to the previous pic, I'm guessing that's just one of the many buildings downtown that Dr. Phillips, Inc. probably should have replaced ages ago, but I'm wondering if that might have been the service department for one of the many car dealers downtown (Heintzelman Ford and Orange Buick were both close to that area). We are better off with cars than shoes today - there is Fields Fiat! 

At least in 1981 you could buy a pair of shoes downtown. Try that today. As to the previous pic, I'm guessing that's just one of the many buildings downtown that Dr. Phillips, Inc. probably should have replaced ages ago, but I'm wondering if that might have been the service department for one of the many car dealers downtown (Heintzelman Ford and Orange Buick were both close to that area). We are better off with cars than shoes today - there is Fields Fiat! 

In 1981 there was that shoe store, a high end women's clothier called Gibbs Louis in the building where the shoe store moved to after selling to a developer, there was a Woolworth, a McCrory's, a JC Penney & a Sears.

And nobody to shop in them.