THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

2 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Wouldn't that be because you aren't supposed to ride a bike through an intersection? Guy I play soccer with who bikes everywhere said you are supposed to dismount.

Though I can see the logic in that from a pure safety perspective, from a practical perspective it makes no sense whatsoever. What's the point of riding a bicycle to begin with if you have to get off of it every hundred feet or so, walk the bike about fifteen feet, then get back on and repeat the same process over and over again?

Given the rare instances of bicyclists getting hit by cars downtown, I think they have demonstrated the ability to use due caution and care while riding across intersections. 

As for the green stripe... those who use it shouldn't need to have it run continuously across the intersection to know that it picks up again in the other side. Common sense ought to tell them as much.

I'm guessing that's what was assumed by whoever made the decision to do it the way it was done.

Bikes are supposed to take the full lane when crossing intersections. That's why you'll see bike lanes fade out when they approach larger intersections like Fern Creek at Colonial, so bikes are forced to get in line with the cars.

A newer trend is using green highlighting and a "bike box" to make this clearer and safer. It lets cyclists also make left turns from bike lanes. More info here or just Google Image search "bike box." 

What we just got in Orlando is...not very helpful. 

bikebox_top_0.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Wouldn't that be because you aren't supposed to ride a bike through an intersection? Guy I play soccer with who bikes everywhere said you are supposed to dismount.

No, you are not supposed to walk. Bikes are considered "vehicles" and you get into trouble when you mix going from a vehicle to a pedestrian at intersections. This is especially the case when somebody is riding on a sidewalk they are not supposed to and then ends up in the crosswalk.  A lot of times drivers do not expect the speed of a bicycle coming from a sidewalk or sidelane into the crosswalk, and it is not as visible in the crosswalk as in traffic lane.  This can lead to a "surprise" to the driver, and that is the last thing you want to do as a cyclist!  

The best way to do it is to make yourself extremely visible and mix in with the traffic while crossing so you don't get turned into or in front of.  "Taking the lane" as Alex points out above can be necessary at times, however, sometimes, this is not advisable, as it is more dangerous if you have idiot, impatient, or oblivious drivers around you.  It can be dangerous to take the full lane as well if drivers are not expecting you to do so or are going too fast behind/around you.  This is why the newer designs were created to increase awareness and let cyclists better mix with car traffic.  Ideally, there would be separated lanes and protected intersections, but this costs a lot more money!  They are doing it wrong by not painting in the intersections to show the drivers that bikes can be mixing in with traffic. 

35 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

As for the green stripe... those who use it shouldn't need to have it run continuously across the intersection to know that it picks up again in the other side. Common sense ought to tell them as much.

This is also not the purpose. The cyclists using the lane are well aware that the bike lane picks up across the intersection.  The green lanes/painted bike box is not for them, it is for an indicator to drivers that there could be cyclists mixing into traffic at the intersection.

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, alex said:

Bikes are supposed to take the full lane when crossing intersections. That's why you'll see bike lanes fade out when they approach larger intersections like Fern Creek at Colonial, so bikes are forced to get in line with the cars.

A newer trend is using green highlighting and a "bike box" to make this clearer and safer. It lets cyclists also make left turns from bike lanes. More info here or just Google Image search "bike box." 

What we just got in Orlando is...not very helpful. 

bikebox_top_0.jpg

Spent some time in Portland which has a ridiculous amount of cyclists. These green boxes were everywhere and I loved them as a driver. Can't tell you the number of times I've nearly creamed a cyclist because they came flying off a sidewalk or something. The boxes seem to work pretty well in my limited experience.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Geez, guys, was just trying to share a nice photo of downtown Orlando... ;-)

But yeah, like @UngaBungalow said, it's about the bio-swales, which we could definitely use more of downtown. Despite the lackluster size and architecture of the building, it feels much more urban and pedestrian friendly than a lot of downtown. I'm eager to see it with Phase II completed. 

• Like 2

I don't know exactly why it is, but I just find that building to be unimpressive. Just doesn't say "large metro Police Dept" to me when I look at it. Just looks like some medium sized corporate office building.

Maybe after they get all moved in and it's occupied, with all the OPD cars parked in the lot and I actually drive past it...

Generally, I like the design of it. I wish they would put some sort of outdoor balcony on the side that facing OBT, instead with a "dead wall". I guess wall is the new thing in this administration.

I remember the rendering of this building have some hanging plants like they did at the Perez museum.

• Like 1

It looks nice enough, but it doesn't project power or authority. 

Kind of bland and milquetoasty. Run of the mill. 

If it had another couple of floors, it might look a bit more imposing. 

As it is, I look at it and think... 7 Eleven Regional Corporate Headquarters.

• Like 2