THE Orlando Photo Thread

sunshine

On 5/9/2020 at 9:19 AM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Lake highland Park. I just passed the sign. I did not know of vantage point like this existed.

You can also see a bit of skyline from Lake Cherokee Park (one of downtown's oldest historic neighborhoods) on the Southern portion, looking North over the lake: https://goo.gl/maps/ekx4q3udXVpsV2FH9

And from Lake Davis:  https://goo.gl/maps/9HcjKrmnoSwaE8QK8  (Lake Davis has the better view, IMO)

Edited by nite owℓ

As late as the ‘70’s, Clear Lake was one of the best swimming lakes in town. The Isle of Catalina neighborhood association had a private beach for residents at one point (does anyone know if it’s still there?).

Of course, the killer amoebas that multiplied in the ‘80’s took out lake swimming across the region but I wonder what condition the lake is in otherwise these days.

3 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Another fun vantage point is on the 13th tee box at MetroWest.

Top of the parking garage at Fashion Square. 

Take a drone camera up there and send it up about 10 or 20 feet, you'd get a shot that would knock your socks off.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

To tree, or not to tree...

How far we've come (photo circa 2004):

TBNYHZSZAFBUXG3VTHLIXT2N44.jpg

Found the pic in an old OS article: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-skyscrapers-guide-orlando-20181022-story.html

Anybody have a juxtaposition of this same view? Sadly, it doesn’t look that much different today.

Edited by Uncommon

5 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Anybody have a juxtaposition of this same view? Sadly, it doesn’t look that much different today.

You're right it doesn't look terribly different, but I can think of at least 10 apartments/condos that have gone up since 2004. In any other major city  that number would be insignificant, but considering downtown Orlando is a completely different animal I think we've come a long way (not saying that I'm satisfied).

The main point of my initial post is that some people are quite comfortable nixing Zoi House over over a tree, but where was this energy when trees were destroyed to build The Vue, Skyhouse, and some of the other apts/condos in S Eola?? If you go back even further and look at historic photos of the area surrounding Lake Eola - there was nothing but trees and wooden houses. Most likely the very ground we stand on and all the modern buildings surrounding Lake Eola that we live in required the removal of a tree at some point. So why are we suddenly drawing a line against redevelopment now?? :dontknow:  It boggles my mind how some people can be so resistant to changes that go along with urban redevelopment of vacant lots in city center. As we've seen time and time again, we just don't have the per capita income for developers to justify design outside of the box, so why are we looking a gift horse in the mouth when it comes to Zoi House which is above par when compared to other buildings? Sure we should try to save whatever trees we can but the reality is that we can't save them all, otherwise we wouldn't have anything today lol.

Google satellite:

Aerial.thumb.jpg.e948b4fd129d25c8fc4e51d06d8b732d.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2