PROPOSED: Conley Wharf

Actually, I just did a newer, bigger map (I'll post it soon). I put trolleys on Eddy rather than Allens. An Eddy Street trolley would benefit more SP residents than an Allens Ave trolley would, even if this proposal came true.

My proposal puts stops at the Hospitals at Dudley and Eddy and also at Eddy and Public which would allow for people to access Conley Wharf.

The trolley could run down Allens to Public, then Public to Eddy. But that cuts out the direct service to the Hospitals on Eddy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah Allens has no population really directly on it, so unless it's to serve Cheaters and the Amazing superstore, there's really no use for it I guess. Is Eddy St wide enough for the trolley to have its own ROW? It's been a while, but it seemed kinda narrow last time I was on it.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*sigh*

unfortunately, his legacy for thousands of people who have lived in Providence will be his rat and trash infested, poisonously peeling properties.

I think he needs to clean up his other crap before he embarks on this grand vision. I see he was recently fined $25k by the EPA for violating EPA lead paint disclosure laws. Excellent.

As far as the "vision," for many of the reasons others have stated, I am skeptical (though I am in favor of "actual" space for the arts). Seafood restaurant? c'mon. The long term vision seems to work, but I highly doubt that Conley is the one to see it through.

We'll see.

Next thing we'll need is a tax credit or listing to save the strip clubs!

I dont think Allens Ave is appropriate for a trolley: theres really nothing on that street and wont be for a long time. If they want a trolley in Providence there are many better places for it. Trolley as in the vehicle that runs on rails or trolley as in rubber tired buses with wood siding?

This proposal looks like it will be so out of place, that needs to be built somewhere in proximity to an established neighborhood otherwise it will really just be shopping mall on the water.

I think the RIPTA ferry is too far away now. It already has a hard time competing with the 60 with its $1.50 fare, comparable to ferry travel times, much more frequent service and better coverage of Aquidneck Island. If there was some way the Point Street bridge could be opened again the ferry could almost go up to the Crawford Street bridge in Downtown.

If there was some way the Point Street bridge could be opened again the ferry could almost go up to the Crawford Street bridge in Downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Hurricane Barrier is the ferry's problem though. I don't know if you were living here at the time, but on the high speed ferry's maiden voyage it crashed into the Hurricane Barrier and did quite a lot of damage. Passengers are banned from the outer decks while it navigates the barrier now. The Coast Guard would prefer it be berthed outside the Hurricane Barrier.

The plan all along has been to find the ferry a home outside the Hurricane Barrier. If this project comes off it may be a good place for it, especially if Conley pays for a lot fo the infrastructure needed. Although I think Fox's Point may be a better place, at least you're closer to Wickenden and feel like you've arrived somehwere, almost.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know a lot of people were upset when news of the warf came out. Some people said that Conley was this or he was that, but if his intentions are genuine, it's gonna be a little hard to keep using him as a dart board. The "good'ol boy connection" will always be scrutinized, but projects that give directly back to the community have to be commended. Just my thought on this article.

Mij--

• 1 month later...

I think it will be a challenge, but a commuter boat should work. The key is that the ground transport has to be right there at the dock waiting for people when the boat arrives. If people have to walk from the pier to Allens Ave. then wait for a bus, it will totally not fly.

There's a ferry service between Halifax and Dartmouth, Nova Scotia which is very popular, and Halifax is a small city in a northern climate, if ferry service can work there, it can work here.

I think just between EP and PVD isn't quite going to cut it though (at least not until the EP waterfront plans come to fruition), they need to be picking up commuters further down the bay in Bristol and other areas.

I think just between EP and PVD isn't quite going to cut it though (at least not until the EP waterfront plans come to fruition), they need to be picking up commuters further down the bay in Bristol and other areas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking much the same thing, especially that something like Bristol to Providence would be better. There are a fairly large number of hospital workers in RIH, Hasbro, W&I, etc who live down near Bristol, and Lifespan could increase their parking shuttles (they have buses circulating from the parking lots to the hospitals) to cover the ferry landing.

- Garris

There's also a good amount of residential development happening in Bristol now, EPs hasn't really started yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a really good point... I can't really imagine who in EP would take a ferry to Prov... I mean, the 195 bridge isn't that bad, and it'll only get better with the new one in the future...

- Garris

QUOTE(pdxstreetcar @ May 3 2005, 11:35 PM)

If there was some way the Point Street bridge could be opened again the ferry could almost go up to the Crawford Street bridge in Downtown.

The Hurricane Barrier is the ferry's problem though. I don't know if you were living here at the time, but on the high speed ferry's maiden voyage it crashed into the Hurricane Barrier and did quite a lot of damage. Passengers are banned from the outer decks while it navigates the barrier now. The Coast Guard would prefer it be berthed outside the Hurricane Barrier.

The plan all along has been to find the ferry a home outside the Hurricane Barrier. If this project comes off it may be a good place for it, especially if Conley pays for a lot fo the infrastructure needed. Although I think Fox's Point may be a better place, at least you're closer to Wickenden and feel like you've arrived somehwere, almost.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about water taxi's Might be nice if they could go to Waterplace park and over to East Providence with stops along the way, including the ferry. Definetly should be a part of any residential buildup around the bay.

EDIT-I posted the above before I read through the entire thread so I didn't see your thoughts on this Cotuit. I think any plan for the Providence side of the bay should include the EP side. I definetly think a transportation mode such as a water taxi would be great. It might spur some commercial development along the bay as well as Residential. Also would be nice if the development of the watefront actually uses the waterfront instead of it being just a pretty view.

That's a really good point...  I can't really imagine who in EP would take a ferry to Prov...  I mean, the 195 bridge isn't that bad, and it'll only get better with the new one in the future...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rt 195 west bound is getting worse and worse everyday. I jumped on it Friday at 11:30am and it was backed up for miles. It used to be fine up untill about 3:30pm, then lately it got bad starting at 2:30pm. Now.......................

How about water taxi's  Might be nice if they could go to Waterplace park and over to East Providence with stops along the way, including the ferry.  Definetly should be a part of any residential buildup around the bay.

EDIT-I posted the above before I read through the entire thread so I didn't see your thoughts on this Cotuit.  I think any plan for the Providence side of the bay should include the EP side.  I definetly think a transportation mode such as a water taxi would be great.  It might spur some commercial development along the bay as well as Residential.  Also would be nice if the development of the watefront actually uses the waterfront instead of it being just a pretty view.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think any watertaxi that could navigate under all the bridges all the way to Waterplace Park, might not be something you would want to be on in the open Bay riding over to EP, unfortunately. A vessel smaller than the Newport Ferry (something the size of the old Newport Ferry) could run from EP into the Providence River as far as Point Street.

• 2 months later...

He's such an idiot. I'm not reading him anymore. Same assinine drivel week after week, I can't believe the Journal pays him.

It's disappointing. To have such a position (architecture critic) in a city such as Providence is potentially such a lofty and important role, and I unfortunately think he often squanders it. He beats the reader over the head with his singular polarized position week after week after week. No matter what the actual article topic is about (this week's appears to be about Conley Wharf... I think...) he drags the main topic kicking and screaming back to a blistering putting down of modern architecture.

Even for someone like me who, by and large, agrees with him that traditional architecture is more pleasing to the eye than 90% of the largely banal and ugly modernism done around here (APC building at RI Hospital anyone?), his argument is so caustic, so abrasive, so obsessive, and so closed to debate that he has, in my opinion, lost much of his editorial integrity. I mean, how can a good editorial critic be a one note wonder?

He's more a evangelist of a certain viewpoint than a critic at this stage.

- Garris

• 2 months later...

i just saw the projo article on this today, someone posted it to CL. i think it's interesting. it sounds like a great plan for somewhere in the city. i don't know the area enough, other than the "allens ave? isn't that where all the strip joints are?" i'm picturing something along the lines of south st seaport in NYC, only less of a mall (since we already have a mall). it'd be interesting to see what happens with this. it could really help in revitalizing that area.

and for those of you who think that the strip joints take away from it... sex sells. that's all i have to say. :) that and providence is the sex capital of the northeast... when i first moved here i was asked by a lot of people (who lived elsewhere) "how far are you from the foxy lady?" it just so happens that i actually live relatively close to it... :D

but regardless... i do like the idea, even if it is coming from a scumbag. and as far as not being really close to anything else in the city, either is the seaport. it's close to the financial district and the ferry, but north of it is chinatown and the lower east side, which, last time i was there, wasn't a huge tourist area. maybe this is what that part of south prov needs to get something going...

Archived