Tampa Could Annex Palm River In Water Deal

bobliocatt

By ANDY REID

[email protected]

TAMPA - Palm River residents want Tampa's water and sewer services, but they might have to become city residents first.

City officials said Thursday that they cannot afford to extend water and sewer lines to the neighborhood east of downtown but would explore stretching the city limits to include the community.

``That area is prime for growth ... if the county can't help them with their water and sewer lines, we certainly can help them,'' Councilwoman Mary Alvarez said.

That city help would be at least a year or two away, officials said. Palm River residents have spent several years going back and forth with city and Hillsborough County officials to try to get rid of their wells and septic tanks.

``These services are needed to improve the quality of life,'' resident Patricia Shafer said. ``It is unacceptable to wait.''

Palm River stretches south from State Road 60 to 34th Street, between U.S. 301 and McKay Bay.

The neighborhood sits outside city limits but inside the city's water and sewer service area.

Tampa has water and sewer main lines in the area but would have to install distribution pipes to allow residents and business owners to tap into the services, said Steve Daignault, public works and utilities administrator.

The county and a majority of residents would have to OK a special assessment levied on the neighborhood to pay for new city water and sewer lines, Daignault said. The city and county have not agreed to pursue that.

Annexation also requires residents' approval. The council called for an update within three months on the possibility of expanding city limits.

``If this has the potential for future development ... we ought to take a serious look at annexation,'' Councilman Shawn Harrison said.

Reporter Andy Reid can be reached at (813) 259-8409.

This story can be found at: http://tampatrib.com/floridametronews/MGBJXSBW97E.html

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's astounding that there are only 3 incorporated areas in all of Hillsborough County. Somewhere I read that Brandon and surrounding contiguous area has roughly 250,000 people. I wonder how the politics differ from, let's say, Pinellas County, with its 25-or-so municipalities.

• 4 weeks later...

It's astounding that there are only 3 incorporated areas in all of Hillsborough County. Somewhere I read that Brandon and surrounding contiguous area has roughly 250,000 people. I wonder how the politics differ from, let's say, Pinellas County, with its 25-or-so municipalities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it has a lot to do with Tampa providing water services to unincorperated areas of Hillsborough county. Carrollwood and Northdale are examples.

Archived