Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daniel nudnik

Frey Foundation helps project in Detroit

Frey Foundation helps project

Thursday, April 07, 2005

By John Hogan

The Grand Rapids Press

DETROIT -- A planned RiverWalk revitalization project costing $110 million in downtown Detroit is getting a $100,000 boost from the Frey Foundation, the West Michigan foundation announced today.

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde...88519273280.xml

David Frey has it right on the nose: this is the kind of thing in which public-private partnerships shine. As a person with east side-west side roots I think this kind of cooperation is exciting. The idea of Western Michigan groups aiding Detroit's redevelopment is great. GR could teach the east side a thing or two about cooperation and quality of life too...

Nice gesture and all but I wish the Frey Foundation would pony up the money for the second part of their arts plan on monroe. The first was to improve the amphitheatre with public art (which ended up much more costly when they decided to make the whole amphitheatre into public art by Maya Lin). The "bookend" to this was supposed to be a piece of art on the east side by the Children's Museum. I wonder if this project will ever happen? I think Veteran's Memorial Park will be a much more "walkable" park once Second Story redoes the YMCA building. Let's add more public artwork to go along with what is there...

Joe