I-126 Improvements!

Spartan

I heard today on WIS that an 8 or 9 mile stretch of I-126 and I-26 will undergo resurfacing. They will also replace the guard rails. The project is set to begin later this month (April) and it should take approximately 7 months. Anyone that has driven I-126 in the past 10 years knows that this section of road is in horroble condition.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didnt drive on I-126 yet so you Columbians have been spared from any derrogotory road related comments :thumbsup:

Hopefully what they are doing, it can look as nice as SC 277. I have one photo of SC 277? Anybody would like to tell me what that pedestrian bridge is there for?

I didnt drive on I-126 yet so you Columbians have been spared from any derrogotory road related comments  :thumbsup:

Hopefully what they are doing, it can look as nice as SC 277. I have one photo of SC 277? Anybody would like to tell me what that pedestrian bridge is there for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When 277 was built it split a neighborhood in half. The pedestrian bridge was built because people (esp kids) would walk across the freeway because the exits are a couple of miles apart on that stretch of 277. The intent of the crosswalk was to allow people to cross the freeway that way instead of crossing the road. Some people still take the shorter way across the road, though.

I didnt drive on I-126 yet so you Columbians have been spared from any derrogotory road related comments  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That bridge was a pork project from Jim Clyburn. I understand the its purpose- but I consider it to be a waste of taxpayer money since they don't use it.

That bridge was a pork project from Jim Clyburn. I understand the its purpose- but I consider it to be a waste of taxpayer money since they don't use it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It probably would have gotten more use if it were built 30 years ago when it was promised. Nevertheless, I think its always a good thing for the goverment to keep its promises.

I don't think ours are that bad either. I remember when I-77 north from Richland into Fairfield was REALLY rough. But the state got that together. I-95 in Orangeburg County, especially at the I-26/I-95 interchange, is quite rough though; not sure whether they've patched that up yet, haven't traveled through there in about 2 years.

I-26 south of Columbia isn't that bad, they seem to have dressed up the median with some green life, same for I-26 north of Columbia. I know they are supposed to dressing up the median on I-385 leading into DT Greenville, there was some talk about it and construction going on before I left in 03.

One major flaw with interstates and freeways in SC is that they do not install median guardrails/wired guardrails at the extent of what NC does on the majority of its interstates/freeways. It has prevented a lot of head on collisions over the years!

I remember a few years ago (reported on WCSC) in teh summer that I-26 was having a lot of a head on collisions between Cola and Charleston (Orangeburg County i believe). Is that still the case today? I know parts of I-26 have median wired/steel guardrails but certainly not the entire interstate.

As far pavement quality, with SC's new urban interstate construction rehabbing the existening interstate (like I-77) is very very good. Much better than NC's I-77 in south Charlotte. The Cola interstates are very good too with excellent pavement quality and full left/right shoulders.

Overall, NC has an big edge over SC with saftey designs (guardrails, reflectors, rumble strips, signage, etc) on an interstate. Pavement quality, NC has a slight edge (just interstates only). However, since SCDOT is under funded (lowest funded DOT in the country) and can only do so much, the interstates are pretty good of what they are able to do.

What do you mean? Every interstate in SC has guardwires as far as I know. I haven't been on every inch of interestate in SC, but I've been on most of it. Everything you said about NC can be applied to SC- guard rails, rumble strips etc.

That is what you said before. I drive I-26, 126 and 85 on a regular basis, and I have been on 20 and 385 recently. We have median guardwires everywhere I have been. If there aren't guardwires then there is a concrete barrier (85 in Greenville, 585 in Spartanburg, 126 in Columbia, etc.). The only time their are gaps is when their has been a wreck and the cables are being replaced after serving their purpose. I have not seen any reason or proof that NC has a better median guardwire system than SC.

On I-126 why are there not more light post in the medians...When you go to Charlotte, Atlanta, Charleston you see them for miles...But the ones in Columbia are like on the side of the road and last for like a mile...You can see where they are supposed to go with the wires sticking but theres nothing there...it would be nice for more lighting

I am implying the rural interstates are not like how NC is. The urban interstates are fine, infact ive said before they are very good. I am in no way putting down the palmetto state. I have said before that SCDOT, despite being the lowest funded DOT in the country is doing the best they can with their roads.

On I-126 why are there not more light post in the medians...When you go to Charlotte, Atlanta, Charleston you see them for miles...But the ones in Columbia are like on the side of the road and last for like a mile...You can see where they are supposed to go with the wires sticking but theres nothing there...it would be nice for more lighting

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That likely has to do with where the city limits begin. generally you won't see a lighted interstate or roads unless you are acutally inside a municipality.

I am implying the rural interstates are not like how NC is. The urban interstates are fine, infact ive said before they are very good. I am in no way putting down the palmetto state. I have said before that SCDOT, despite being the lowest funded DOT in the country is doing the best they can with their roads.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be sure, I am not saying you are overly critical of SC's roads. We DO have some crappy roads. I was trying to imply that your argument wasn't very strong for your case on the interestates. I meant no offense towards you.

That likely has to do with where the city limits begin. generally you won't see a lighted interstate or roads unless you are acutally inside a municipality.

To be sure, I am not saying you are overly critical of SC's roads. We DO have some crappy roads. I was trying to imply that your argument wasn't very strong for your case on the interestates. I meant no offense towards you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

None taken :)

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone. New to the urban planet but wanted to bring up an issue of interstate condition and thought since this topic was already created I would just talk about it here (since the area of concern is pretty much a part of I-126).

Does anyone know where the SC DOT stands on redesigning I-26 at Malfunction Junction? I have heard hear say but can not find anything official. As anyone in Columbia knows this is such a poor designed area. Seems to me this should be at the top of their list to address.

ps. great forum - you guys are very informative!

I agree scnative.

"Malfunction Junction" is way over due for a upgrade. I have always wondered what those pier stumps on I-20 median on both sides of I-26 bridge were planned for. A future project no doubt. I'm hoping that after I-520 in finished in Augusta, maybe Columbia will be next for interstate upgrading.

I-20 needs some help too - needs to be widened west of Exit 61 (378) and east of I-77. Are they waiting for the Hardee Expressway connection?

I would love to see our interstates lit up too. I know I-459 bypassing Birmingham cannot be fully within the city limits, that freeway is well lit. Maybe it was done by the county - I do not know, but Greater Columbia should look at their example.

Archived