I-126 Improvements!

Spartan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not aware of any cities Columbia's size that have light rail...and are not a suburb themselves. It would be the smart way to go, especially with the gas prices continuing to rise.

Anyone know why those pier stumps on the I-20 median on either side of the I-26 bridgewere planned for? I assume it was for overpasses that would have replaced the cloverleaf.

I would normally agree with you matt. Y'all know I'm a big advocate for transit investment, but this intersection needs improvement in a bad way.

As someone who was involved in an accident at that interchange, I agree with you, but it isn't worth $300 million.

• 4 weeks later...

Theoretically, you are encouraging more carpooling by installing HOV lanes, which should mean that there is additional capacity to be gained within the existing roadway.

That is true only if they add them and not make existing lanes HOV lanes

Maybe they should just designate a HOV lane during certain times of the day like rush hour, but definitely not all day everyday in my opinion. Even if traffic doubles in Columbia it won't be that much needed as in Atlanta or the other big cities

I understand that HOV lanes will encourage carpooling therefore decreasing the number of vehicles. But not to the extent that it offsets losing a regular travel lane. I just don't see I-26 from Irmo to Columbia having only 2 travel lanes and 1 HOV lane. Some sort of widening will have to be done, especially if traffic is to double by 2030. But I'd rather see other measures taking place that will be just as if not more beneficial than widening. Like fixing malfunction junction which should be done sooner rather than later.....traffic and construction costs are only going to increase. And of course, commuter rail.

According to someone that I know that lives on Jamil Road (one of the frontage roads along I-26), he said the planning to improve that stretch of interstate has been in the making for years. The huge problem is the purchasing of land on both sides of the interstate and actually moving the frontage roads back. The HOV lanes I believe would be added to the existing 6 lanes according to the info he has heard. The full details are just not there yet. :dontknow: I just hope agreements can be made soon or then we will have to surely wait until the new I-73 is completed.

I hope that y'all understand that I am not opposed to widening if its justified, and I am certainly not suggesting that adding HOV lanes will decrease traffic. It will increase the efficiency of the highway (who's job is to get PEOPLE to their destination not CARS). There will always be more cars to fill in the gaps. Malfunction Junction definitely needs fixing. I expect that it will take a lot of time a resources to make that happen. It may actually take some widening to fix that bottleneck. There's also the two lane portion of 26 over the Saluda that will need widening.

Having said that, I think that 6 lanes of traffic should be plenty. Since we know growth is coming, its time to starting thinking about what alternate routes could be provided for access to center city. Commuter rail was an option that has been set back probably a decade since the sales tax vote was not allowed to happen. In terms of roads, its time to start looking into creating new links into town. If they bridge the Broad River somewhere north of I-20, traffic could be diverted to use Monticello Rd/North Main St- which may in tern help return some life into North Main.

Just look at Geology Rd off of Broad River Rd. If that were connected to Piney Grove and then across the river straight to Monticello Rd then you'd have access to a whole new route into downtown. Monticello Rd is already 5 lanes at that point all the way into town, so the capacity is built in. On top of that, you open up more land for development on the east side of the Broad River, which would have access to Irmo/Harbison, etc.

Any thoughts on this idea?

I agree with you Spartan for the most part. The fact that Columbia and the whole US needs to focus more attention on alternate methods of transportation is a must.

I hope that malfunction junction gets some much needed attention. It could be that the master plan has more to do with redesign than just increasing lanes. I believe if there were some different flyovers to spread things out it could flow better. I know this will take a lot of time to achieve.

As for the Geology road idea, about time someone else sees this. The area is so under-developed it seems like such a great location and time to make that road/bridge instead of waiting until you have to take over homes and make the road more expensive to winding all around.

I look at the map of the greater Columbia area all the time thinking of ways to better get around and have more efficient routes. I always say why isn't there a way to get from NE to NW side without going down and thru the congested area then back up. Just wish we could be a part of the planning, or better yet it's time to get a job with the DOT.

Spartan said, "Even if you are right, you don't think people would even consider changing their commutes? "

No, I don't. I base this on the fact that I wouldn't, my coworkers, family and friends wouldn't, and nobody who called into Keven Cohen's radio show on the topic of HOV lanes would. The freedom you lose isn't worth it.

Spartan said, "Just look at Geology Rd off of Broad River Rd. If that were connected to Piney Grove and then across the river straight to Monticello Rd then you'd have access to a whole new route into downtown."

Broad River Road would be a straighter shot into Columbia/North Main. It would make it easier to get to that area of Monticello Road, and it would make that area of Monticello Road ripe for developement.

Sure. If you are driving to downtown Columbia or the North Main area, the Geology Road bridge would get you there, but in a very roundabout fashion. You'd be going out of your way. It might be less time because of traffic, but I doubt it.

But, if you lived near the area on Monticello Road that the Geology Road bridge was on, it'd be a lot easier to reach Harbison with the proposed bridge. easier access to shopping would definitely open the area up for development.

It would also make it easier for folks in Winnsboro to get to Harbison, I think.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for the idea.

Spartan said, "Even if you are right, you don't think people would even consider changing their commutes? "

No, I don't. I base this on the fact that I wouldn't, my coworkers, family and friends wouldn't, and nobody who called into Keven Cohen's radio show on the topic of HOV lanes would. The freedom you lose isn't worth it.

Captain, where did Spartan say that? I'm not following this part of your post because I don't know what "changing their commutes", "no, I don't", and "I wouldn't . . and nobody . . would" is referring to. :dunno: What wouldn't/would you all do??

For me the Geology road idea would be to ease the travel from the Irmo area to the northeast...not neccesarily to downtown. Broad River road is just so busy and with stop lights every other block its a headache!

*digital_sandlapper - the part about Captain quoting Spartan is from post #38.

Sure. If you are driving to downtown Columbia or the North Main area, the Geology Road bridge would get you there, but in a very roundabout fashion. You'd be going out of your way. It might be less time because of traffic, but I doubt it.

But, if you lived near the area on Monticello Road that the Geology Road bridge was on, it'd be a lot easier to reach Harbison with the proposed bridge. easier access to shopping would definitely open the area up for development.

It would also make it easier for folks in Winnsboro to get to Harbison, I think.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for the idea.

I fail to see your logic. In 20 years when traffic has doubled, there will be nothing but gridlock on I-26. If they add two or three lanes in each direction it will still be gridlock since the traffic gets backed up today. Atlanta has illustrated this quite effectively. I'm certainly open to other ideas, but this is a situation that widening won't fix. Maybe its a transit-only type of solution.

Captain, where did Spartan say that? I'm not following this part of your post because I don't know what "changing their commutes", "no, I don't", and "I wouldn't . . and nobody . . would" is referring to. :dunno: What wouldn't/would you all do??

Post #38

I have a number of co-workers that all drive from Chapin every day. I have brought up the subject of carpooling with them, but they look at me like I'm a Martian. Of course, I don't understand why anyone would want to live way out there, anyway. Today one of them told me because it's quiet. Of course I equate quiet with boring. I like being around people and activity so I guess I look at them like they're Martians when they talk about the peace and quiet. It works both ways.

Archived