Looking For Any Photos of Charleston's

L-Beware

Hello Im trying to find any pictures of the not so elegant parts of Charleston. Im doing a project on my hometown city, and its counterpart cities also (Savannah and New Orleans) , but mainly Im trying to find any photos of the areas never shown to tourists.

I want to show the contrasts in the cities appearance, but I can hardly find ANY pictures of Downtown Charleston's "less beautiful" areas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated for my presentation. And any photos of the same kind of Savannah and or New Orleans would also be appreciated.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish you luck in your search. I don't have any pictures of what you want. I have plenty of the touristy areas and of the bridges though. What is the nature of your project?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Im trying to show the contrast of some of America's most beloved cities. Specifically the southern tourist attractions of the old South, hence Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans. Im mainly focusing on Charleston, and using Savannah and New Orleans as supporting examples.

Hopefully SOMEBODY has some pictures that I can use. I tell you though, trying to find these things on the internet isnt exactly easy.

Yes thanks jerseyman. I can definitely use these 2 because theyre the entrance to the city from 17 North.

Thanx alot. Howd you find these may I ask? Ive been googling for the past few days with little to no luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I took the photos with my digital camera.

yeah, that should be an interesting project. I visited both Charleston and Savannah this past February. I made the mistake of visiting Charleston first. After Charleston, Savannah was less impressive. I have a whole list of complaints about Savannah that I won't bore you with in this tread.

Let us know how that project turns out.

LOL no Id like to know. What was the big difference between the two cities? By all means let me know because Id love to hear. Ive been meaning to visit Savannah for the longest, and I think I might try to go around Memorial Weekend next month, but I want to know about it before hand. Right now Im looking for a nice digital camcorder to buy. I wanna capture everything on tape.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate the smell of the paper mills in savannah...other than that I thought it was a great place to visit

Savannah was a planned city, so its squares and grid all have a similar feel,. This is completely different from Charleston, which is alittle more haphazard, and it feels more "colonial." Savannah is probably 15-20 years behind Charleston in its redevelopment of downtown. Its a nice place to be sure- Broughton St has alot of nice shops, and it can be compared to King St in Charleston. River St is a neat/touristy thing to check out. There are something like 27 squares acattered around the hitoric area, which are a truely unique feature. Savannah is just a different place, and you really need to check it out for yourself to get the full effect. Its definately not Charleston, but there are similarities. Just make sure you don't stick to the touristy things. Drive around and see some of the other areas too.

Savannah was a planned city, so its squares and grid all have a similar feel,. This is completely different from Charleston, which is alittle more haphazard, and it feels more "colonial." Savannah is probably 15-20 years behind Charleston in its redevelopment of downtown. Its a nice place to be sure- Broughton St has alot of nice shops, and it can be compared to King St in Charleston. River St is a neat/touristy thing to check out. There are something like 27 squares acattered around the hitoric area, which are a truely unique feature. Savannah is just a different place, and you really need to check it out for yourself to get the full effect. Its definately not Charleston, but there are similarities. Just make sure you don't stick to the touristy things. Drive around and see some of the other areas too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm.....thats interesting. The way everybody seems to group Savannah and Charleston together as sort of twin cities, you would think that they would be alot alike. But to hear you all point out all the differences, it definitely gives me a completely different image of Savannah. Im interested, explain more.

They are alot alike, but sister cities is about as close as it gets. Charleston has the harbor and naval presence and it has been the scene for many battles and has always been a strategicly important city.

Also, Charleston has always been a larger city. In 1800 Charleston ranked 5th in the nation with 18,824 citizens. Savannah was 21st with 5,146.

I don't know enough about the history of Savannah to say too much abuot it. My comparisons are based on my personal experiences and observations. Savannah has a slighly less urban feel to it overall, where as Charlston doesnt. This is in terms of the historic districts of course. But ifyou are haning out around River st. and Bay St around city hall it is feels more urban that Charleston. Charelston's development on the peninsula probably forced its more compact development. Savannah obviuosly has more continuous land on which it could expand.

They are alot alike, but sister cities is about as close as it gets. Charleston has the harbor and naval presence and it has been the scene for many battles and has always been a strategicly important city.

Also, Charleston has always been a larger city. In 1800 Charleston ranked 5th in the nation with 18,824 citizens. Savannah was 21st with 5,146.

I don't know enough about the history of Savannah to say too much abuot it. My comparisons are based on my personal experiences and observations. Savannah has a slighly less urban feel to it overall, where as Charlston doesnt. This is in terms of the historic districts of course. But ifyou are haning out around River st. and Bay St around city hall it is feels more urban that Charleston. Charelston's development on the peninsula probably forced its more compact development. Savannah obviuosly has more continuous land on which it could expand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right, right. In terms of the architecture though, the "look" of the city would you say its the same? The houses, blocks and neighborhoods, whats similar and what is different? I know Savannah is smaller in population, Charlestons like 560,000 and Savannah is about 360, if Im not mistaken.

Well, in that regard it seemed like Savannah was less "compressed" if that makes any sense. The type of houses might be similar, but the way in which they are built would be different. Savannah's grid allows for easily defined lot lines and less "neat side roads." A major difference is that there are alot more wooden structures in Savannah. Charleston has mroe brick. There is alot to be said for visiting and seeing it for yourself. I find the differences and similarities hard to describe. That would make an interesting book.

Well, in that regard it seemed like Savannah was less "compressed" if that makes any sense. The type of houses might be similar, but the way in which they are built would be different. Savannah's grid allows for easily defined lot lines and less "neat side roads." A major difference is that there are alot more wooden structures in Savannah. Charleston has mroe brick. There is alot to be said for visiting and seeing it for yourself. I find the differences and similarities hard to describe. That would make an interesting book.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL No I understand exactly what you mean. Charleston is more cluttered and bunched up together, where as Savannah has more comfortably planned space in regard to streets and structures. Hmmm......that would make an interesting book. Im very intrigued by the relationship, similarities and differences of Charleston and Savannah.

I think a major downfall of the two cities is that theyve neglected to joint-promote together as one region and one tourist attraction area, instead they seem to have an unspoken competition between each other. I think people would be even more intrigued to want to visit "The Lowcountry/Sea Islands" region of Charleston, Beaufort, and Savannah that much more if it were presented that way. It would almost be like theyre missing out on 2/3rds of the equation if they only visited Charleston. Or only went to Savannah.

I definitely plan on spending a good amount of time in Savannah this summer. Ive been hearing so much that I cant wait to experience it for myself.

One negative thing about Charleston's re-development is the over gentrification that has taken place. Charleston went through an "artsy" period where there were many small shops, eclectic restaurants, and had a much more bohemian feel than it does now. Then comes hurricane Hugo and the subsequent re-development replaced all of this with expensive chain stores. A trip to King St. is just like going to an upscale mall. The downtown housing has become so expensive, vast areas sit emplty as the buildings are "investments" and not places to live. I hope Savannah learns from this mistake.

My Savannah Gallery: 2,600+ images

www.pbase.com/savannahga

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW. Im gonna have to sit down and take my time with this one. Thanks a million man.

Now on to my project. Out of ALLLL of those pictures you have, you have to have some pictures of the innercity communities of Savannah. This is actually an assignment Im doing for my graduate business class. Ive found a few for Savannah and Charleston, but I really want to find some photos that can show where one part of the city ends, and the other begins.

And I totally agree with that last post. Charleston is getting a little too ahead of itself, it will kill the allure of the city pretty soon if something isnt done about it. The particular block I live on is literally being bombarded by this new wave of college students, particularly C of C students. Many of the older residents have moved elsewhere and or died. Just like the area South of Broad is being over-populated by people that dont even live in Charleston. And instead they buy the houses and use them as summer and vacation homes. There has to be some kind of structure put in place or else the beloved Holy City will soon be nothing like it has always been in the past.

One negative thing about Charleston's re-development is the over gentrification that has taken place.  Charleston went through an "artsy" period where there were many small shops, eclectic restaurants, and had a much more bohemian feel than it does now.  Then comes hurricane Hugo and the subsequent re-development replaced all of this with expensive chain stores.  A trip to King St. is just like going to an upscale mall.  The downtown housing has become so expensive,  vast areas sit emplty as the buildings are "investments" and not places to live.  I hope Savannah learns from this mistake.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to disagree with this post. Saying that Charleston had a "Bohemian" feel is not exactly accurate. For many years, DT was mostly old dilapidated buildings with antique shops everywhere. In short, everything was old, old, OLD! Now Charleston has a synergy to it that it never had before. This was due to "gentrification". It's amazing to me that people have taken what is known as urban renewal and re-development of a worn-down city and turned these things into negative connotations with a one-word term. I'm sorry, but if gentrification cleans up streets, catalyzes a better economy, and provides better safety for residents and tourists alike, then it is something good and I think more of it needs to be done!

LOL no Id like to know. What was the big difference between the two cities? By all means let me know because Id love to hear. Ive been meaning to visit Savannah for the longest, and I think I might try to go around Memorial Weekend next month, but I want to know about it before hand. Right now Im looking for a nice digital camcorder to buy. I wanna capture everything on tape.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all, you should definitely see Savannah for yourself. I stayed 3 nights in Charleston and 2 nights in Savannah this February for Spring Break.

While in Charleston, I did not feel like the locals were trying to gouge me for being a tourist. The tours were cheap and reasonable. I found an extremely nice hotel for just over $100. Also, the locals were quick to point me in the right direction of great restaurants, sights, etc. Plus, everyplace I went in Charleston, I felt liking taking a picture. The city is absolutely beautiful.

While in Savannah the next day, I immediately felt the sting of Savannah tourism. Compared to Charleston, I paid almost double for a trolley tour in Savannah. I paid almost double for a ghost tour in Savannah. I couldn

Savannah’s historic district is very nice, but on all sides it abruptly ends with low income housing, etc.  This is not really a fair comparison for Savannah I guess because Charleston’s historic district abruptly ends with water on three sides.  Nevertheless, it is extremely noticeable, especially coming from one city to the other as I did.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm....thats interesting and something to ponder for my trip there. Its funny because Ive seen a number of tourists say the exact same thing about Charleston being surrounded by low income housing. In fact I saw a guy on here say thats what he did not like about Charleston. Which is understandable, because of the layout of Downtown Charleston, you basically have to come through the low income neighborhoods to get to the historic district. But youre saying that Savannah is worse.

Is there anywhere I should check to get good reservations in a nice area of Savannah?

I have to disagree with this post. Saying that Charleston had a "Bohemian" feel is not exactly accurate. For many years, DT was mostly old dilapidated buildings with antique shops everywhere. In short, everything was old, old, OLD! Now Charleston has a synergy to it that it never had before. This was due to "gentrification". It's amazing to me that people have taken what is known as urban renewal and re-development of a worn-down city and turned these things into negative connotations with a one-word term. I'm sorry, but if gentrification cleans up streets, catalyzes a better economy, and provides better safety for residents and tourists alike, then it is something good and I think more of it needs to be done!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree

Archived