Looking For Any Photos of Charleston's

L-Beware

The slums did seem more prevalant the last time I was in Savannah as well. You almost get the sense that they are moving in on the historic district. It doesn't take away from teh beauty but it certainly was on my mind a bit. I also was warned by a good friend who goes to SCAD that walking around Savannah at night is not the safest thing one could do.

As for Charleston, there really is no question that it has a bigger city, more cosmopolitan feel. Its been that way throughout its history, even more so in the 1800s when it was the "fashionable" city of the South.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm....thats interesting and something to ponder for my trip there. Its funny because Ive seen a number of tourists say the exact same thing about Charleston being surrounded by low income housing. In fact I saw a guy on here say thats what he did not like about Charleston. Which is understandable, because of the layout of Downtown Charleston, you basically have to come through the low income neighborhoods to get to the historic district. But youre saying that Savannah is worse.

Is there anywhere I should check to get good reservations in a nice area of Savannah?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I drove into Charleston at night from the West. I left Charleston from the South. So I missed the slum areas (though I wasn't really searching for them). In Savannah, I couldn't miss em.

To search for hotels, I used tripadvisor.com. It is a very good site and there are reviews of each hotel listed. I found these reviews to be very accurate. There are a few reviews from angry yankees who found palmetto bugs in their rooms, but I think most of us are used to them (palmetto bugs, not yankees). So, I used tripadvisor.com in combination with mapquest.com to find hotels and their location. As for Savannah, any hotel along Bay Street is nice, just stay in the historic district.

As for me, I searched online for two-hours for a nice hotel in the historic district of Savannah and I couldn't find anything for under $150. So, I gave up and booked a beachside room on Tybee Island, 20 minutes from Savannah. I paid $79 a night for an oceanfront room. Some hotels on Tybee even offer a shuttle to/from downtown Savannah. There are many good local restaraunts on Tybee, a couple of state parks, and a fully restored lighthouse. If you can find a hotel in downtown Savannah, go for it. If not, Tybee is not that bad. I stayed at the Desoto Beach Inn. I was happy with it.

Side note: how did Holiday Inn get clearance to build that hideous hotel across the river from downtown Charleston? That thing is fugly! FUGLY!

haha Thats been there FOREVER. I always liked it as a kid cuz it was different :D. You know as a child I found that intriguing with the shape being so different from everything else. Im used to it though, so I can see how one can have a different perception. There are alot of things I overlook in Charleston simply because Ive lived there all my life.

But I noticed that when you go elsewhere for a good period of time, THEN come back, it completely changes your perception of the city. I notice SOOO much more detail and appreciate the differences of my city so much more now, it has literally renewed my appreciation and love for architecture, culture, everything. You never notice how incredibly unique Charleston is until you leave and live in other "regular" American cities.

But one thing that has always intrigued me, why is it that the architecture of Charleston begins and basically ends with downtown. does anyone know why none of the architecture spread further into North Charleston or even West Ashley?

Is there anywhere I should check to get good reservations in a nice area of Savannah?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out The Planter's Inn on Abercorn. Its a small high rise, so if you get high enough you can get a nice view. The rooms are nice too.

does anyone know why none of the architecture spread further into North Charleston or even West Ashley?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good question. It was probably due to the marshy areas that existed everywhere. Until bridges allowed for easy passing over the mashes, not many people wanted to build on the other side of the rivers. That said, Mt Pleaseant has been around a while. I've never been to its "downtown" but it might have some historic structures. Maybe someone more local can be more specific.

Uhh......I still need the pictures so any help would be appreciated.

I know there are many people that take pictures as soon as they get off of the bridge or the Interstate, whichever way they come. Someone has to have some photos of other parts of the city.

If you can direct me somewhere that I might be able to find some pictures, that would be appreciated too. Thanx in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Uhh......I still need the pictures so any help would be appreciated.

I know there are many people that take pictures as soon as they get off of the bridge or the Interstate, whichever way they come. Someone has to have  some photos of other parts of the city.

If you can direct me somewhere that I might be able to find some pictures, that would be appreciated too. Thanx in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uhh........here are a few I took with a camera phone. Hope this can help.

67556207109_3300.jpg

67556198405_3300.jpg

67556631301_3300.jpg

67556643205_3300.jpg

67557678085_3300.jpg

67557690885_3300.jpg

67557639301_3300.jpg

67557629061_3300.jpg

67557265669_3300.jpg

67557199365_3300.jpg

67557188229_3300.jpg

67557176965_3300.jpg

67557168773_3300.jpg

67557147909_3300.jpg

67557140741_3300.jpg

67557135749_3300.jpg

They are alot alike, but sister cities is about as close as it gets. Charleston has the harbor and naval presence and it has been the scene for many battles and has always been a strategicly important city.

One big difference between Charleston and Savannah is that Charleston has a height restriction in its historic area that allows no building to be taller than the steeple of St. Michael's church. This gives the oldest part of the city a visual uniformity and protects the impression that you're in an old place. Savannah, on the other hand, is more of a hodge-podge. You can walk down a street lined with 18th and 19th Century homes and then suddenly see a thirty-story building.

Another difference between the two cities is that Savannah allows open containers of beer (or at least on certain streets, not sure about the details of the law). This turns the area around River Street into a party zone at night, mostly filled with college students from the local art school. Charleston also turns into a party town on weekends, but it's not quite as out in the open.

Good luck on your project. It sounds really cool. It's too bad I don't have a digital camera, or I'd take a few photos for you. I live in an area of Downtown Charleston that is on the upswing, but is close to neighborhoods that are still very depressed. There are some neighborhoods with homes that are literally shacks, especially on the northern edge of the city. Also, once you get out of the city of Charleston and into North Charleston, you tend to see a lot of poverty-level housing.

-Lee

I live in Wagener Terrace. How 'bout you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you say Wagener Terrace, do you mean near Hampton Park? Downtown isnt but so big anyway, but I live in the Cannonborough area, near Rutledge and Spring. Looks like Im going to have to buy a digital camera, and just go take the pictures myself.

When you say Wagener Terrace, do you mean near Hampton Park? Downtown isnt but so big anyway, but I live in the Cannonborough area, near Rutledge and Spring. Looks like Im going to have to buy a digital camera, and just go take the pictures myself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeh, I'm sure you can find a good digital camera and not spend a fortune these days. I know the area where you live. That's definitely an up-and-coming place to be. I live about four blocks north of Hampton Park, near Lowndes Grove Plantation. I love the area. It's definitely not run-down, but it's not sparkling and a little artificial like some of the newer burbs. You ever hang out at Moes Crosstown Tavern? Great little bar near my neighborhood. Anyway, good luck with the photos. You should post them when you're done. Even the run-down parts of Charleston have a certain something, at least now that so much of the city is being cleaned-up. They're a reminder of Charleston's less-than-prosperous past, and we all know how much we love reminders of the past in Charleston. ;)

-Lee

Yes. I know your neighborhood like the back of my hand, however I dont know what, or where the Lowndes Grove Plantation is. Rutledge, Grove Street, Maple Street, Darlington Avenue, Peachtree, Simmons Street, Im very familiar with the whole area. I actually remember when Moes Tavern was initially opened.

The difference in your area to the west of King Street, and the Romney Street, North Central area east of King Street is like night and day. Im assuming that's the area you were referring to with the blight and such. Its a really old neighborhood though, and it has been that way for quite some time, as far back as I can remember at least.

Im coming along pretty well in my project, and hopefully I can go get some higher quality photos soon to go along with what I already have. LOL Interestingly enough I have had noooo problem getting some really good quality, nice photos of everything South of Calhoun. Now all I have to focus on is getting the contrasting neighborhoods of Downtown Charleston. <_<

Yes. I know your neighborhood like the back of my hand, however I dont know what, or where the Lowndes Grove Plantation is. Rutledge, Grove Street, Maple Street, Darlington Avenue, Peachtree, Simmons Street, Im very familiar with the whole area. I actually remember when Moes Tavern was initially opened.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should check out Lowndes Grove sometime. It's at the end of Saint Margaret Street, right next to the Ashley River. It's the only plantation on the peninsula. I believe the original house was burned by the British, and the current house built in 1780. All in all, a beautiful place. It was in disrepair for many years, but was restored about ten years ago and now is a B&B and a popular place for weddings.

-Lee

• 2 weeks later...

One difference I notice everytime I visit both cities is that Savannah seems a bit greener..maybe even more overgrown than Charleston. Not in a bad way though, Palm trees growing off the sides of buildings and moss on telephone poles can be viewed as interesting. I guess all of the squares and parks in Savannah give it a "darker" appearance as well. Seems alot shadier. Charleston has a cleaner, brighter feel.

Take Victory Drive if you head to Savannah. At one time it was the longest Palm-lined road in the world. The Live Oaks completely cover the top of the avenue making it feel like your in a tunnel. Its just beautiful. Im sure there are areas of Charleston that are similar.

Archived