The Hillsborough (Reynolds Tower)

monsoon

I wonder why Reynolds would push for a hotel at that location with the clarion across the street. The only hotel that would make sense would be a "Very" upscale one that downtown doesn't have. But with all the hype going into the convention area, it seems that area would be more suited for a high end hotel.

I know Reynolds will come through and give the city a strong project, i just feel that the city is near the end of their rope on the property extension. It seems like the city gives local developers a harder time with things like this than outside developers. Maybe its just me.

I think that Hillsborough St, even in the 300 block, is a totally different market than the convention area. The H St. market serves a triangle bound by govt, NCSU, and the Five Points area. The Clarion and the Velvet Cloak are the only hotels serving this market, and boy is there need for improvement.

The Marriott downtown is going to be pretty nice. The Lafayette is going to be really nice. However both of these "feel" like they are really far away from, say, Cameron Village. So let's hope for another good hotel. Then we can hold Gary Bettman's foot to the fire and get the NHL All-Star game here!

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke with Mr. Reynolds and according to him the project is still moving forward. He expects to have something under construction by next summer. No details however. He says the project is still evolving. He did not confirm if there would be two towers. Hopefully we will get the 30+ story and the 15+ story buildings we are hoping for. Only time will tell. Stay tuned.

the next skyscraper that gets built in raleigh should be extremely unique, this whole build a cookie cutter skyscraper business to fill up space does nothing for the city, not with all these excellent architecture schools in our backyard. That reflects poorly on those schools imo.

I spoke with Mr. Reynolds and according to him the project is still moving forward. He expects to have something under construction by next summer. No details however. He says the project is still evolving. He did not confirm if there would be two towers. Hopefully we will get the 30+ story and the 15+ story buildings we are hoping for. Only time will tell. Stay tuned.

Does "next summer" mean 2006 or 2007 ?

JB

I wonder why Reynolds would push for a hotel at that location with the clarion across the street. The only hotel that would make sense would be a "Very" upscale one that downtown doesn't have. But with all the hype going into the convention area, it seems that area would be more suited for a high end hotel.

I know Reynolds will come through and give the city a strong project, i just feel that the city is near the end of their rope on the property extension. It seems like the city gives local developers a harder time with things like this than outside developers. Maybe its just me.

I think it depends on what you mean by "very" upscale. The Umstead is currently underway in Cary and is pushing for a 5-star rating. It will probably satisfy the market for the RTP travelers. If they do go high-end in downtown, I don't think it needs to be big. I would imagine that it would be quite the gamble to build ultra high end in downtown at this time. You have to have the clientele to support it. What types of persons would stay here? Top executives visiting RBC or Progress Energy or maybe politicians in town for business. Most business travelers going to a convention have budgets and would probably opt for the Marriott or Sheraton. It would be nice to see who we market for the convention center and what types of events we will see there. This will have a huge effect on downtown hotel occupants.

The deadline imposed by Raleigh City Council is Feb, so something needs to happen soon: either a proposal to council or another extension.

Does "next summer" mean 2006 or 2007?

Reynolds hasn't announced any firm plans, he doesn't own all the land yet (301 h'boro st--the city does), there is no MOU to sell the land or at what price, the city must relocated it's staff from that bldg, no planning commission approval, no council approval, and no permits to build...

I would think construction would not be possible by this summer.

As far as a hotel on the Reynolds site, does Raleigh really need another Hotel Downtown? Seems like we have a hotel boom going on. The Soleil Center, Convention Center Area, Cary.....

Has anyone been keeping track of the number of rooms the Raleigh area is gaining?

I don't see what has changed that would be attracting all these people....Yes the convention center will be a draw, but not for all of these rooms. Seems like they are overbuilding them.

If something does get built here, I hope that the design is very unique as mentioned before. I'm not knocking the RBC building, but it is very boring other than its nice color, and lets remember that it is only a drawing.

Just give us something with a very nice crown. There was picture in a thread of a building that resembled the Wachovia tower in Raleigh and it had a really cool crown on the top. A crown makes a building. As far as I'm concerned the Wachovia tower is a waste at night.

I hope Reynolds comes through.

The deadline imposed by Raleigh City Council is Feb, so something needs to happen soon: either a proposal to council or another extension.

Reynolds hasn't announced any firm plans, he doesn't own all the land yet (301 h'boro st--the city does), there is no MOU to sell the land or at what price, the city must relocated it's staff from that bldg, no planning commission approval, no council approval, and no permits to build...

I would think construction would not be possible by this summer.

Next Summer?!?!?!?! So we went from February 2006 as a drop dead date, to oh sometime starting in oh....June-July 2007?!?!?!?!?!?! What a joke...Its hard to believe a 350,000 plus City can't sustain more building intensity than this.

Next Summer?!?!?!?! So we went from February 2006 as a drop dead date, to oh sometime starting in oh....June-July 2007?!?!?!?!?!?! What a joke...Its hard to believe a 350,000 plus City can't sustain more building intensity than this.

You have to give it time....We just recently and very quickly reached 350,000. The momentum has started and you should be amazed in the next 10 years.

Huh?

Keep in mind that the developer is currently building a building right now.

Also (I'm blindly stating this and I'm not even going to bother looking it up because I'm that sure it's true) The next 3 years will probably be the most built in a 3 year period in the HISTORY of downtown Raleigh. (In terms of dollars, sq footage and "combined stories". We're bascially on the rising edge of the largest building boom in the history of Downtown Raleigh and you're complaining because one building is being carefully considered? I would much rather them take all the time they need to ensure a couple of things

1. There is a market for the building and its not going to sit empty for 10 years

2. We get a decent design

As far as a hotel on the Reynolds site, does Raleigh really need another Hotel Downtown? Seems like we have a hotel boom going on. The Soleil Center, Convention Center Area, Cary.....

Has anyone been keeping track of the number of rooms the Raleigh area is gaining?

I don't see what has changed that would be attracting all these people....Yes the convention center will be a draw, but not for all of these rooms. Seems like they are overbuilding them.

You have to understand. Raleigh has always underbuilt and underplanned every project that has came to pass for the last 40 years. The projects that are under way, are for the present and future population. This is one of the fastest growing cities in the nation. This city is already behind on alot of amenities at 350,000. By 2030 this place will be 600,000+ and that's a conservative estimate.

You have to understand. Raleigh has always underbuilt and underplanned every project that has came to pass for the last 40 years. The projects that are under way, are for the present and future population. This is one of the fastest growing cities in the nation. This city is already behind on alot of amenities at 350,000. By 2030 this place will be 600,000+ and that's a conservative estimate.

Good Point. The population projections are phenomenal. All of the folks worried about downtown being cool in your lifetime or while you are young enough to enjoy it probably don't have to worry with the city almost doubling before you are 50.

I don't doubt the population increases.... I doubt the need to quadruple the number of hotel rooms inside the Belt. Yes, more hotels will be needed, but probably in areas of growth. DT is only ONE of the place where the other 350k people will be. Time will tell.

Raleigh should have a plan/goal to get 10% of the population increase DT, or near DT.... 35k people DT.... for this, the city would need to overhaul the current 'plan' they have on their website, but if its a long term goal, there should be nothing wrong with it. Building East and South of DT is still possible.

Just some thoughts.

^^ The director of the DRA made a presentation at a meeting I attended this past week, and she said that there will be over 7500 residents in downtown Raleigh by 2008 (including Glenwood South). That was a staggering number, given that there were only about 400 a couple of years ago.

You can't overbuild hotel rooms downtown with the new convention center. We need as many as we can get. You need at least 1000 rooms, preferably more, in close proximity to the CC to make it viable.

speaking of hotels... does anyone know whats going on at north hills? that hole in the ground has been sitting there for quite some time. still supposedly calls for the raleigh renaissance hotel... but it seems like constructions is what, a year behind?

7500 seems inflated, if so, thats great momentum.

I guess it depend on where you draw the line....Peace, East, South and St Marys I think that is a stretch too....If you include all the way to Chavis Heights (like the City of Raleigh website does) plus Boylan Heights, Cameron Court and Pilot Mill then yeah, It might be 7500

I guess it depend on where you draw the line....Peace, East, South and St Marys I think that is a stretch too....If you include all the way to Chavis Heights (like the City of Raleigh website does) plus Boylan Heights, Cameron Court and Pilot Mill then yeah, It might be 7500

i think it might be 7500 now if you stretch that far (okay, not really)... is that including oakwood? for what its worth, i don't think including those neighborhoods is a stretch at all. if you think about it, the traditional grid system of what constitutes downtown raleigh is incredibly small. it tells you what a sleepy place this was for the first 150 years.

Archived