The Hillsborough (Reynolds Tower)

monsoon

The is a good skyline view of downtown from the Beltline between the Wake Forest and Capital Blvd. exits. You can see Fayetteville St buildings, the Archdale building, the Clarion and the Quorum. I bet that view (zoomed in of course) would be a good way of showing off this new tower. I wonder where exactly it would be placed.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think it is right across from the clarion... if it were closer to the cap. they would have to tear down that old church, or that brick office building on the corner.

I think it is the parking lot beside Flying Saucer, but they will have to tear down something. It may be the building on the side that housed Measurement, Inc. or ISA which built a bigger HQ in RTP.

that is the correct scenario

Does anyone know if there is any significance of the 4 story building? Is it worth salvaging? Seems like Raleigh is becoming a city that is "tearing down" its old fabric. And for curiosity...it seems like the city owns a lot of property downtown? What is the ratio of City and State owned property downtown and what properties would be rip for development?

^Well I don't see any architectural significance. Looks like a lot of the stuff that was built in the 60s - just a box with some windows.

True, but I do like the fact that it this building is built to the sidewalk and no gap or parking between the sidewalk and building. I would hope that would remain, but a compromise may happen with a new taller building on the other lot. It could be a drive under a canopy to the building entrance or something. No one will know until Mr. Ted releases the plan. I don't think he has a solid plan but I am sure he has ideas.

I actually think Meeker and Co. will take back this land as Mr. Ted will need some large tenants to fill it and I think the condo market is overheating and he will not meet the deadlines. I will admit, the Quorum had a great finance package so don't count him out yet.

I do believe Mr. Ted wants to build a "Vanity" building and Soleil group and Highwoods beat him to it. It may get in the way as his dreams are bigger than market reality. I hope not.

True, but I do like the fact that it this building is built to the sidewalk and no gap or parking between the sidewalk and building. I would hope that would remain, but a compromise may happen with a new taller building on the other lot. It could be a drive under a canopy to the building entrance or something.

This building is pretty deep into the ground with a bomb shelter to house some area important people, other than that this building is nothing special. It shouldn't get in the way of something better by any means.

True, but I do like the fact that it this building is built to the sidewalk and no gap or parking between the sidewalk and building. I would hope that would remain, but a compromise may happen with a new taller building on the other lot. It could be a drive under a canopy to the building entrance or something. No one will know until Mr. Ted releases the plan. I don't think he has a solid plan but I am sure he has ideas.

I actually think Meeker and Co. will take back this land as Mr. Ted will need some large tenants to fill it and I think the condo market is overheating and he will not meet the deadlines. I will admit, the Quorum had a great finance package so don't count him out yet.

I do believe Mr. Ted wants to build a "Vanity" building and Soleil group and Highwoods beat him to it. It may get in the way as his dreams are bigger than market reality. I hope not.

Its only built to the side walk on the east and south sides and at that there is no pedestrian interest along those sides, just blank walls. I am happy to see that go because a huge Greek Revival mansion was bulldozed to build that ugly little box. A small portion of the mansions brick rear driveway is still visible partly overgrown by a tree, its likely older than the original street curbing from the 1880's based on the curb configuration.

Drove down S. Saunders St. yesterday. If you took a wider angle picture of downtown from the "postcard shot" spot, you can see the Clarion and the Quorum to the left. So if the Reynolds building and a 15-20 story N&O building were there to fill in the rest, the shot could easily be widened to include all our tall buildings.

I'd be glad to if someone can point to a photo of downtown raleigh that extends from One Hannover to the Clarion.

Flash has a couple:

http://www.raleighskyline.com/images/08.29...ralclr2.01s.jpg love this angle

http://www.raleighskyline.com/images/08.29...ralclr2.31s.jpg kinda small, but this is what I'm mostly thinking of

http://raleighskyline.com/illus/quorumf.jpg approached from glenwood... this one's a no-brainer

Probably a dumb question, but is that really a dog food plant???

Its actually a soybean processing facility owned by Cargill Incorporated. The soy meal gets used primarily as feed for farm livestock. The local rumor has always been that it also end up in dry dog food which is certainly possible. Subway is right...Cargill is so large and the rails so convenient that this sight will likely be around a very long time.

Its actually a soybean processing facility owned by Cargill Incorporated. The soy meal gets used primarily as feed for farm livestock. The local rumor has always been that it also end up in dry dog food which is certainly possible. Subway is right...Cargill is so large and the rails so convenient that this sight will likely be around a very long time.

I think people made assumptions because it was run by Purina for a while and carried their logo. Purina is a big big operation, though, and does livestock feed, too. Nevertheless, it really is an eyesore from an otherwise nice angle on downtown.

I'm wondering if the view from the "front lawn" of Broughton HS won't be a good contender for a money shot?? The view from Wake Forest from in front of Bahama Breeze is pretty good, too.

Archived