The Hillsborough (Reynolds Tower)

monsoon

I think people made assumptions because it was run by Purina for a while and carried their logo. Purina is a big big operation, though, and does livestock feed, too. Nevertheless, it really is an eyesore from an otherwise nice angle on downtown.

I'm wondering if the view from the "front lawn" of Broughton HS won't be a good contender for a money shot?? The view from Wake Forest from in front of Bahama Breeze is pretty good, too.

I've always been a big fan of the Broughton H.S. view. It really makes Raleigh look big time. I think because it has so much depth in that shot.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like Raleigh is home of the people with eyesores. Everything can't be perfect in a city. Also those are peoples jobs in that factory. Everyone isn't made for the white collar world, you know.

Yeah, let's just quit trying to make downtown pretty and put a GRAIN SILO in the middle of downtown. Also we need to make sure it has plenty of "patina" (nice word for old and rusty) That would add a lot of height, right? It would create tons more blue collar jobs, too.

Obviously a lot of people agree with me or that view from Wilmington St. and 40 would have been used in at least ONE publication by the City in the last 25 years.

You do realize we are talking about the skyline of DOWNTOWN. If you are boohooing about the loss of blue collar jobs in the downtown market, I challenge you to find an expanding industrial submarket in one single American downtown. :cry:

I think people made assumptions because it was run by Purina for a while and carried their logo. Purina is a big big operation, though, and does livestock feed, too. Nevertheless, it really is an eyesore from an otherwise nice angle on downtown.

I'm wondering if the view from the "front lawn" of Broughton HS won't be a good contender for a money shot?? The view from Wake Forest from in front of Bahama Breeze is pretty good, too.

Either the front lawn or the clock tower at Broughton. Not sure if it still there but there was a water tower around Wiley school a few blocks away and the Broughton yearbooks use to have pictures in it where some kid with a camera would take a picture of Broughton from it. It was a good view. I dont think it is still there. I think they finally tore it down for safety reasons and better water treatment. It would be a good view for DT.

I climbed the tower a time or two when I was 15 or 16 carrying a 6-pack and made it to the circular walkway around the base of the tank. At that point, you were at least 100 yard up and probably more. Pretty scary as the when you get about 15 feet below the circular walkway, the ladder starts to go back at about 5-10 degrees angle so it was not a straight vertical climb. The walkway was very rusty, and to think about it, the whole thing was rusty. I had a friend who climbed on and went to the top of the tower and touched the cap on the very top. I had heard of people skateboarding inside as it was closed even when I climbed it. Could be urban legend. It was a great view and could see all of DT.

Yea, I am pretty sure it was torn down as it was not in use then and that was a long time ago. I think someone may have died or jumped off. Gives me the begebies just thinking about how stupid I was to climb it in the first place.

Anyway, that would be a money shot !!

It's not that i'm saying, that's what we need to build. Of course not. It just that Raleigh is gaining a reputation as being a city version of Cary,ie very snobby. I think that is one of the reasons this city has became more bland and superficial.... Raleigh feels so shallow these days...

I think that Raleigh is way to diverse of a city to be "snobby". Of course it takes all kinds, and I am certainly not going to start a battle of Raleigh vs. Cary. So there may be some bad apples here or there but I think we can all agree that it is in Raleigh's best interest to look and be better, just don't forget were you came from or how you have gotten were you are. And I think Raleigh is doing a great job of that. I'll get off my soapbox now. :D

You're right in a way, but in reality, talking to people who aren't from here,say otherwise. There was one person on the board, that lived in Raleigh, who thought, this city was all white upperclass.

I guess that everyone has a different viewpoint/perspective. And I do realize that Raleigh as the state capital and the seat of state/city/county government has a history of "white, rich, male, upper-class". But look at Charlotte, there are a lot of "white, rich, male, upper-class" people there but I can tell you from experience that it's not the whole city, (read Harvey Gannett). Every city has its pockets; it's most visible residents, what ever they may be. Maybe that's a queue to those who aren't "white, rich, male, upper-class" to get out there and be seen/get involved? That's what I am trying to do. :D

i was at a party in durham last night, and nearly everyone there had at one point lived in raleigh... most could not believe I liked living here. they cited the lack of friendliness and the general 'i am so much better than you' attitude that people seem to have in raleigh. i am not saying this is true... but I definitely know where they are coming from... I have always thought that if raleigh, durham and chapel hill could be smushed together, it would really be the perfect city...

Yeah. You guys know exactly where i'm coming from. Alot of soul is being sucked out of Raleigh. Other than a couple of spots DT, what else is there? Raleigh used to be place you could have a genuine good time, without someone bumbarding you, and first asking you "what do you do." I hate that. It's like a interview on whether or not you're worth talking too. It's none of your business!

I'm all for Raleigh growing up and becoming more of a major player, but I think we need more diversity in the growth process. I mean come on regentrification. Plus the vision and decisions come from a one sided demographic gov't in Raleigh. Our city council leaders are not what you would consider flavorful. It seems as though the city is taking a turn towards serving the council's demographic.

Yeah. You guys know exactly where i'm coming from. Alot of soul is being sucked out of Raleigh. Other than a couple of spots DT, what else is there? Raleigh used to be place you could have a genuine good time, without someone bumbarding you, and first asking you "what do you do." I hate that. It's like a interview on whether or not you're worth talking too. It's none of your business!

I'm all for Raleigh growing up and becoming more of a major player, but I think we need more diversity in the growth process. I mean come on regentrification. Plus the vision and decisions come from a one sided demographic gov't in Raleigh. Our city council leaders are not what you would consider flavorful. It seems as though the city is taking a turn towards serving the council's demographic.

Every city coucil is supposed to "serve it's demographic's". That's who put them there! If we don't like it then we vote for a change. You must admit that Raleigh's city council has gone through changes, and all because there "demographic's voted for change. But I have said enough on this subject. And anyway, nothing to do with the Reynolds project. Peace! :D

Asking what someone does for a living isn't interviewing them and determining how fit they are to talk with you. It's called making conversation. Even if there is a smidgen of superficiality buried deep within the question, it isn't out of the norm to be asked that anywhere in the world. It's kinda like asking where you live. It is probably just someone's way of making small talk.

In the end it all comes down to your own personal perception of the world around you. You make life what you want it to be, and no one has to conform to meet the "social standard" unless they feel the need to do so. Everyone should be able to find a group they are comfy with no matter where you live.

i always thought southerners were more likely to ask... "what church do you go to?" atleast that's how it was with us when we moved here from Connecticut. the damn neighbors would not stop until they were convinced we had given our souls over to jesus... that just really never happened up north. it was weird. i think it scarred me.

Along the lines of the "Broughton" money shot that would incorporate the Quorum center and this potential Reynolds tower is one at the far east edge of the Harris Teeter parking lot. There you are literally on top of the Hudson Belk express and the land slopes down as it approaches downtown. The inspection station parking lot across from Mellow Mushroom is also impressive to watch Quorum going up and the neat streetscape of Glenwood South.

The streetscape of Hillsborough Street would be a *lot* better with this tower there vs. the parking lot and "cold" feeling 301 building. Hopefully this and the Quorum projects will spark projects to connect the Reynolds Tower to Glenwood South. Currently there is a couple of offices, a personal trainer thing, and the woodwind shop. I don't think Innovations is coming back (torn down during construction of the new Hillsborogh Street train bridge), which was the only "different/unique" retail in all of downtown.

The instruments shops are kinda "funky" in a way, but that part of the city could use more! Like a "west village" of sorts. I've never had anyone ask "what do I do" at Snoopys, Roast Grill, Aries, Flying Saucer, Lump, Pooles/Kings, Lakeside Lounge, Woodys, etc. but maybe I'm the exception to the "snobby" rule.

I'm starting a seperate thread for the Cargill/Purina plant since it seems like it deserves one.

http://www.newsobserver.com/104/story/394205.html

Looks like we're getting the towers; there's just some ambiguity whether they will be offices or condos. Looks like R+R want to get a major business tenant or two just to be on the safe side (SunTrust? First Union?), due to all the other condos going up. Either way the buildings will be the same height.

I'm not sure if they actually bought some of the property yet. I'm also not sure how the Clarion will fare with their view of downtown blocked.

I kinda like the density 301 gives to the street, and to many of Flash's photos from that area. If they built this thing a bit further down the street, 209 maybe, that would be preferrable.

Archived