Judicial building...Monroe, NC...

Neo

Not that many care, but I went to DT Monroe tonight (my hometown) and snapped a shot of the newly finished judicial building to help relieve stress from the courthouse. Architecturally it's a bit bland, but then again it is a government building. Regardless, it's good to see some development going on downtown. A new movie store just opened up, I'm guessing this past week downtown so maybe this is a step in the right direction. There are some absolutely gorgeous homes rivaling some homes in Charlotte's close-to-core neighborhoods. A lot of potential for the area of DT Monroe and the immediate surrounding area.

post-1-1113095131_thumb.jpg

post-1-1113095131_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see more pics of DT Monroe and arond Monroe though!

Most of the city is a wasteland IMO but there are some nice historical buildings downtown like the Arts Council. Here are a couple of sites that have some photos of DT Monroe on them and are up to date:

http://www.downtownmonroenc.org/

http://www.geocities.com/jganis2/UnionCoPhotos.html

I've often thought of doing a photo thread on Downtown Monroe's historic homes. I'm not a tremendous photographer though. Monroe has some sweet ones. Monroe's historic homes seem (or are) older than most of Charlotte's close in neighborhoods. I think many of the really nice ones in Monroe are late 1800's? There are so many great ones with massive columns in front (very stereotypically southern).

By the way Neo, I don't know if I would know you or not but I think we are the same age and grew up in what seems to be a relatively short distance from one another. I'm 23 and grew up near Monroe. The more you write about yourself the more I wonder if we went to high school together or something. I graduated from Parkwood though and from what I gather from you seem to be from Piedmont maybe?

By the way Neo, I don't know if I would know you or not but I think we are the same age and grew up in what seems to be a relatively short distance from one another.  I'm 23 and grew up near Monroe.  The more you write about yourself the more I wonder if we went to high school together or something.  I graduated from Parkwood though and from what I gather from you seem to be from Piedmont maybe?

Yeah, I went to Piedmont, actually finished up my required studies in 11th grade and goofed off at the career center my 12th grade year. I graduated in 2000.

sun valley, class of 96' here...haha.

downtown monroe still has two great old hardware stores too. i havent explored around it recently. the old hotel that was torn down some years back was a big loss. arent they looking at doing a performing arts center on that lot?

I think the performing arts facility is on hold. They couldn't pull it off from my understanding. DT Monroe is ripe for revitalization and some things are starting to turn around, but it's creepingly slow.

Archived