Inside A Bloom Store (Video Included)

DigitalSky

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been into a Bloom store yet but I've heard great things! It was good to finally see a video on it so I know exactly what the capabilities are and how it all works. I hope the concept catches on and they roll out more stores. That's the best looking Food Lion store I've ever seen, all other stores from the company I've ever seen weren't even fit for demolition.

Foodlion is also testing out another concept, a Freshlook Food Lion which is considerably more upscale in order to compete with Harris Teeter. There are two that I know of, the one in DT Cornelus, and the other at exit 23 in Huntersville where FL is in intense competition with Harris Teeter & Lowes.

I haven't been into a Bloom store yet but I've heard great things!  It was good to finally see a video on it so I know exactly what the capabilities are and how it all works.  I hope the concept catches on and they roll out more stores.  That's the best looking Food Lion store I've ever seen, all other stores from the company I've ever seen weren't even fit for demolition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they did the freshlook concept on Providence Road but it didn't seem like anything special

• 1 month later...

does bloom have any referrences to food lion inside? Are their generics the same brand as food lion's? I assume their produce and meats are from the same places as food lion's. Although store quality goes a long way, being confident in the food quality is important, too. HT has earned my trust over the years... so i agree, i'd be a little hesitant to shift to a food lion-based store.

does bloom have any referrences to food lion inside?  Are their generics the same brand as food lion's?  I assume their produce and meats are from the same places as food lion's.  Although store quality goes a long way, being confident in the food quality is important, too.  HT has earned my trust over the years... so i agree, i'd be a little hesitant to shift to a food lion-based store.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know that is a good question. I would be interested to hear the answer to that myself. Honestly I think using a computer to do shopping in store is a solution looking for a problem to solve. I've been in the original Bloom once and never saw the need to go back.

On the website I posted, Food Lion was never mentioned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but also in the article makes it seem like bloom is just a study in store design, rather than the actual mercandise. My initial impression was that food lion was looking to transform itself with a more upscale brand... but i'm thinking that if product quality is the same as before, that the change is just cosmetic.

I like the bloom concept, and i think longterm, with walmart in the picture for price competition, i think it is food lion's only hope for long term. But i think they are going to have to remake their company throughout their business to focus on quality competition, rather than price. That will impact what they do with their suppliers, and standards of inspection, etc. Those are much much harder to change than getting an architect to make a cool store.

that was a good article.. i guess it made me consider trying bloom... but then i started to think about the other stuff...

When FoodLion was Food Town and locally owned I think it had a lot more mind share for low prices and high quality. Their LFPINC slogan and TV adverts by the CEO (who lived in Salisbury) did a lot to place the chain in very high regard even in Charlotte. Even their buildings were unique in look at the time and they brought many unique innovations to the grocery industry that are consider common now. Food Town was once one of my favorite places to shop.

Unfortunatly it was bought out and the corporate mentality won out. They underwent a major expansion to other states (which forced the name change because there was another Food Town in another area), lost the local "character", and quality went out the door in search of high profits. No one knows about LFPINC now an its gone from their signs. I can't stand FoodLion in comparison.

The point of all of the reminiscing is that if FoodLown had kept to their Food Town roots, my guess is they would be in a much better position to do battle with Walmart. But when the only choice you have is shopping at one "huge corporation" or another, then low prices usually win out for most people. Bloom is another attempt to differentiate themselves in this market, but my guess is that it won't appeal to many people.

if Food Lion had kept to their Food Town roots, my guess is they would be in a much better position to do battle with Wal-Mart.  But when the only choice you have is shopping at one "huge corporation" or another, then low prices usually win out for most people.  Bloom is another attempt to differentiate themselves in this market, but my guess is that it won't appeal to many people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Food Lion today is really that much different than the Food Town of old, but I was pretty young when Food Town was the name. I do agree that Bloom will probably disappear soon, with a few lessons learned transferring into Food Lion stores.

I don't think Food Lion today is really that much different than the Food Town of old, but I was pretty young when Food Town was the name.  I do agree that Bloom will probably disappear soon, with a few lessons learned transferring into Food Lion stores.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Food Lion could use a little innovation.

Food Lion could use a little innovation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed! There is only one Food Lion store in my mind here in Va Beach and that one is on Laskin Road. It is quite upscale and looks different than any other one I have been in. The rest just make ya yawn. <_<

Agreed! There is only one Food Lion store in my mind here in Va Beach and that one is on Laskin Road. It is quite upscale and looks different than any other one I have been in. The rest just make ya yawn.  <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What makes this Food Lion upscale as opposed to others? Just nicer looking?

I don't know about the one in question, but Food Lion is also experimenting with something call a Fresh Look Food Lion. Basically it is a Bloom Store without the gimmicky electronic crap. In includes the inclusion of a mini Boston Market so you can now pay twice as much for your rotessrie chicken in the plastic bubble.

Two Food Lions at the Lake have been converted to this format. (DT Cornelus & Huntersville at Gilead Rd & 21)

What makes this Food Lion upscale as opposed to others? Just nicer looking?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, just a bigger selection of say veggies that you might not find in typical Food Lions, lighted shelves and such. I only went in once so I am not sure of other changes.

There enlies the problem. You only went once. Even a "good looking" Food Lion doesn't excite new shoppers to return.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well perhaps. Actually this Food Lion is too far away to shop regularly or I might. It is about 8-10 miles away or so.

Archived