Raleigh's Fayetteville Street

ericurbanite

^Actually I'm a southerner. I just think this novelty act of turning F-Street into the State Fairgrounds does nothing to improve the economic viability of DT Raleigh. Meeker/Council should be focusing on how to recruit business/corporate offices to this area.

Clearly the key to F street's long term vitality is recruiting businesses and more housing. Its not a great mystery and I think everyone on this board is well aware of this.

Meeker was not the one out there recruiting this festival. Jim Early and the BBQ Society were the driving force, and I say more power to them. A festival like this has the potential to have the same economic impact as a large convention. The BBQ festival in Lexington routinely draws crowds of 100,000 people.

Were you this down on the Oyster Roast, Live after Five, World Beer Festival, or the Bike Fest?

If the thought of a BBQ festival is so offensive and redneck, then just pretend its some other kind of festival with the potential to draw thousands of visitors to downtown, fill hotel rooms and bars, and make a sizeable economic impact.

I simply thought it was a good article and may be of interest to some on this forum. Many, myself included, have felt for years that Raleigh should host a signature BBQ festival. I was not suggesting that this one event was going to single handedly create a vital urban core.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a problem with the BBQ festival-I just think its lame to trumpet this event on F-Street as the Raleigh gestapo has crushed every other art and cultural proposal except for those tinged with redneck culture (see Bike Fest).

Clearly the key to F street's long term vitality is recruiting businesses and more housing. Its not a great mystery and I think everyone on this board is well aware of this.

You are correct. I also think that Raleigh should be somewhat selective in the types of events that they allow this venue to host. Now is the time for the city to decide what type of atmosphere they want to create along F street. With the upscale Hudson and RBC Plaza condos along that strip, I think that the future direction of F street should be pretty clear.

The thing I like most about the BBQ festival is that it plays up Raleigh as being the state capital and heart of the state.

We need *more* east meets (meats?) west things downtown, and F Street is the place to do it. I think the arts festivals (Artsplosure seemed meh this year for some reason), Downtown Raleigh live, etc. also add to the fabric of downtown. What happened to the cycling race (criterion?) Is that coming back?

Is there going to be another Raleigh Wide Open this year for the street's anniversary?

Raleigh has to crawl before it can walk. Funding City Plaza, the privately-funded arts festivals and now the BBQ fest are a good set of announcements for the city center over the last week or so. I hope the momentum continues to build.

Thinking about it, a BBQ festival may be just the thing to introduce F-street to a whole new group of folks who wouldn't want to come downtown anyways. Folks from the outlying areas may come to this and see what all has taken place in the past few years and find that downtown isn't so sleepy and dead afterall.

Case in point, we took my father (who lives in downtown cary and is older) and my mother to 518 for mother's day. Before dinner, we drove them around to see what all has been going on. He remarked that the last time he went downtown was in 1999! except for a day of jury duty in 2004. After seeing everything coming up, he told me he wanted to come back and have more time to visit F-street and see the WTVD studio and check out some of the restaurants.

I think the city would be very wise to have different types of festivals that appeal to different folks to keep the stream of people coming downtown. By brining in that variety, you're exposing people of all interests to what the dt core has to offer. I can't wait to see what else comes about as a result of the city plaza and as interest continues to grow.

I think a BBQ festival is a great place to start! We have to start somewheres and I think a festival celebrating something this state is known for, especially being in the capital, is a good way to start out. I have seen BBQ festivals and other events shown on the Food Network before, so could you imagine the Food Network doing a show on the NC BBQ Festival? That would be GREAT publicity for Raleigh, as it would be shown nationwide and could draw BBQ enthusiasts from all over the country to Raleigh to go to the BBQ Festival or just to visit at other times and try out the BBQ. This is a chance at grabbing the spotlight for Raleigh! :)

• 2 weeks later...

In an article about the tech behind Microsoft's new "surface" tabletop device, there was a link to City Wall. It is a project in Helsinki, Finland that displays various media to a public wall that passers by can interact with.

I think something like this was proposed for the City Square project, and it would be cool to play up the area's tech background with an implemetation of this somewhere in the F Street corridor. Or as an interactive map that showed pictures of buildings when you touch them on the map.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I noticed this morning that 114 Fayetteville St is being renovated. It's the building to the left of Fayetteville St Tavern and near the Wachovia Center. They are gutting the 2nd and 3rd floors... though I'm not sure what's going in there... probably a condo refurb or perhaps cozy office space.

I noticed this morning that 114 Fayetteville St is being renovated. It's the building to the left of Fayetteville St Tavern and near the Wachovia Center. They are gutting the 2nd and 3rd floors... though I'm not sure what's going in there... probably a condo refurb or perhaps cozy office space.

Fay St tavern is actually expanding into this space. Last I heard, this was going to be the non smoking dining area. I think they had plans for an apartment or office space upstairs.

I think they had plans for an apartment or office space upstairs.

I heard last night that the are building a 15 story condo complex above where FST is adding the dining room. Right now, they are stripping the 1926 bricks off and are making their way through the original 19th century exterior so they can reinforce the existing 3 floors to support 12 more above.

Each unit will be approx. 2000 sq. st. and sell for around $700,000. They as yet haven't secured a parking structure for tenants to use and I'm sure this will effect whether this project can really support 60 units for that price.

I imagine that for a project like this there should be a substantial paper trail from the city. Still searching for it. Anyone?

FST's renovation of the old Wendy's should be complete in 7 months.

I heard last night that the are building a 15 story condo complex above where FST is adding the dining room. Right now, they are stripping the 1926 bricks off and are making their way through the original 19th century exterior so they can reinforce the existing 3 floors to support 12 more above.

Each unit will be approx. 2000 sq. st. and sell for around $700,000. They as yet haven't secured a parking structure for tenants to use and I'm sure this will effect whether this project can really support 60 units for that price.

I imagine that for a project like this there should be a substantial paper trail from the city. Still searching for it. Anyone?

Now thats one way to saving one of Raleigh's older buildings AND keeping up with growth!

Now thats one way to saving one of Raleigh's older buildings AND keeping up with growth!

I am fron Richmond and it appears they do this sort of thing alot. At street level, it will seem like the building has always been there, but you step back and look up and realize that there is a whole new building a floor up. RIchmond's downtown has done a pretty good job of saving its old building while inserting density.

I was told they have plans to put 2 condos in that space that connect to the 112 building next door. I live in that building and on days when i'm home during the day, i have been able to see some of their progress. I've seen the holes through the wall connecting 112 and 114, i'm sure by now those are cleaned up a bit. sounds like the developer has big plans since each of the condos will have two floors and each come with an elevator; or an elevator for the two not exactly sure.

I've heard the same thing about the 15 story tower, it will be on the rear of the building and face salisbury st. but i havnt heard any details. thanks for sharing that info. Since i'm right there i can see their progress and honestly its coming along very slowly.

Archived