Raleigh's Fayetteville Street

ericurbanite

• 3 months later...

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The N&O did a story on City Plaza yesterday. I can report the light towers are up now. I'm glad this is being finished this fall (Oct 23), albeit 1 year too late. (It was supposed to be aligned with last year's phase II opening, but property agreements stalled the project.)

I think this will ultimately be successful public space, but the halting of progress on Charter Square will be a major hindrance of it's short term success. To a large degree, the success of City Plaza will be linked to the successful redevelopment of the South End of Fayetteville St, which is still several years away from being realized. One day, I hope there will be active retail uses from the Capitol all the way to the Memorial Auditorium complex, and the City Plaza will be packed with people. To me, that will be the day when the success of these investments on the street will be fully realized.

Anyone know the logic for the position of Pavillion #2? I'm sure it won't be that big of a deal from ground level, but from the perspective of the above ground photo, it annoys me to no end due to lack of symmetry.

^My first guess would be something construction-related with the underground parking underneath. (Support beam?)

My second guess is that if it had been further to the "left", it would have blocked the entrance/lobby/etc of a building.

Yesterday, I saw/passed a truck on I-40 that was moving pieces of the light towers. I tried to get a picture, but it was hard to drive and get my phone out at the same time. They had a lot of metal oak leaves on them, like the bollards in front of the Marriott.

The BB&T building/Two Hannover has an entrance near Pavillion #2, but that is the "atrium" connecting that building to the Sheraton so the entrance could have been moved. Or maybe not due to fire codes and the conference rooms near there. There is (was) steps/ramp from the main plaza to the raised entrance to the building, though it could have been shifted like near #3.

From the article posted earlier:

Thus far, sandwich chain Jimmy John's is the only announced tenant for the glass pavilions. Gil Hearn, an asset manager with Simpson, said this week that the company will announce two more tenants soon.

So at least three will be spoken for and (hopefully) open for business in October. Any guesses for the new tenants and/or potential for the last pavillion? Would Starbucks leave their space in the Marriott?

I would like to see an ice cream shop, and Goodberries is opening in Cameron Village, so why not F Street? Their locations have only have outside seating, which would be hard to squeeze into 1,000 square feet. I could see Ben & Jerry's or Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Donuts going in to the "ice cream location". Kilwins would be nice, but I don't know if they could squeeze one into that small of a space.

As for the other one, the NC Symphony store is no longer in North Hills, but I don't know if that is due to them not wanting a store any more, or not able to afford the rent there. The Hurricanes could open one of their "Eye" stores there, but I think they are happy with keeping their merchandise store at the RBC. I don't think Raleigh is ready for a souvenir store, but the pavilions would be a good place for one.

An art gallery could fit into that space, but it might be too small and not easy to display much.

A bank could put in an ATM and mini-branch, though I don't know how secure the pavillions will be and/or how BoA and BB&T would feel about that.

• 2 weeks later...

The N&O is saying that Krispy Kreme will open at the end of October in one of the new pavillions at the new City Plaza on F. St. :thumbsup:

That's perfect! NC based company....caters to the early morning folks and the late night munchie folks...fits into the pavilion space well...

Krispy Kreme already has a shop on Blount and Person though. I'd like to see someone who's not already downtown move in.

Starbucks seems to be doing fine with a similar setup(one on Peace, one on Fayetteville). Quiznos and McDonalds have two stores downtown too. The Person St store is impossible for your average conventioner to find or get to. This brings Krispy Kreme to the front door of the big draws downtown which is the point of the placement of the pavilions.

Sounds good. I thought I read somewhere they were also gonna offer ice cream. (Donut sundaes?? Sounds funny but I hear Turkish Delights has Baklava sundaes so I won't laugh.)

As long as it doesn't hurt business at Crema, I'm game. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived