Raleigh's Fayetteville Street

ericurbanite

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Art gallery...really lame?

With all the whining about lack of retail downtown, I don't understand all the opposition to an art gallery.

Because no one says "I have some extra time at lunch, I think I'll go buy some overpriced art".

The usefulness is comparable to a place that exclusively sells Yak husbandry supplies. True, it's technically retail, but it's useless to the majority of people.

On top of it, it's another damn Yak husbandry supply place...err...i mean art gallery...downtown and even worse, it is in a prominent location on City Plaza.

Although it will be a conversation piece as people look inside at the poor soul who is going to run the place and wonder how it stays in business.

The site plan for the Boylan Pearce building renovation was submitted to the city last week. This is the building immediately north of the Briggs Hardware building. The developers plan to add a 4th floor to the building. The 4th floor will only occupy about half of the building's footprint so presumably it will be set back and probably invisible from both Fayetteville and Salisbury street.

One thing I note here are the parking requirements for this building. Obviously it was built before parking requirements existed, so it is grandfathered in. But it is not compliant with current code. The proposed renovation and addition may (probably will) trigger the requirement. Even given this building's location on Fayetteville Street, current development codes require it to have 39 dedicated parking spaces. They do not have to be on site, but they must exist and they must be dedicated to this building only. This drives me absolutely crazy. Why does such a smallish building (25,000 square feet), located in the very center of downtown, in a city that is so RIDICULOUSLY overbuilt with parking, need 39 parking spaces all to itself? This makes these historic renovations way more expensive than they need to be.

The site plan for the Boylan Pearce building renovation was submitted to the city last week. This is the building immediately north of the Briggs Hardware building. The developers plan to add a 4th floor to the building. The 4th floor will only occupy about half of the building's footprint so presumably it will be set back and probably invisible from both Fayetteville and Salisbury street.

One thing I note here are the parking requirements for this building. Obviously it was built before parking requirements existed, so it is grandfathered in. But it is not compliant with current code. The proposed renovation and addition may (probably will) trigger the requirement. Even given this building's location on Fayetteville Street, current development codes require it to have 39 dedicated parking spaces. They do not have to be on site, but they must exist and they must be dedicated to this building only. This drives me absolutely crazy. Why does such a smallish building (25,000 square feet), located in the very center of downtown, in a city that is so RIDICULOUSLY overbuilt with parking, need 39 parking spaces all to itself? This makes these historic renovations way more expensive than they need to be.

Agreed. Recall that the current requirement is actually more lax than what was present before (2006?), which (along with the state's outdated historic building code and the city's ill-equipped inspection department--so I'm told) were the major reasons many of the historic buildings on this row and elsewhere were just recently renovated. I often defend municipal zoning rules, but this is clearly a case where the rules absolutely do not fit the application, and should be changed. We have more than enough downtown parking decks to accommodate the parking demand from this building and many more thousands of square feet of development with no additional spaces required. Large developments, in this lending environment, are cost prohibitive, so we should be doing whatever we can to encourage the use of existing built storefronts that are waiting to be renovated.

If you look at the bottom right on page 2 of the site plan, it's interesting how they include the parking/deck locations in the immediate area. They'll probably use this to argue a case later if it's necessary. Good on them to cover all their bases it seems.

The new DOD parking code allows the owner to simply petition the Council for a waiver of all parking requirements - given the high vacancy rates in nearby parking structures it's likely NO parking will have to be added/provided. Parking is no longer a hinderance to the redevelopment/reuse of older historic structures within the DOD boundaries. This issue was fixed! (depending on the Council issuing a waiver - that is) We tried to create a completely exempt DOD - NO parking required - but the PC and CC were not comfortable with that option.

Hey Dan...no parking should be required for any development...period! This is really just writing a business plan for an owner who surely knows his own needs. Why would a PC or CC ever care if someone planned enough parking for their customers. I know at one time the push was to do away with onstreet parking to free up the lane for travel (think Glenwood, Clark, etc) but given projects such as Hillsborough Street it seems like folks in those grops might be able let go of these old concepts....?

• 3 weeks later...

While walking by yesterday, I noticed the fence around the plaza has been reduced to the "street" itself on the west/BB&T side, though the BoA to Marriot connection has yet to be restored.

The upfit of the two pavilions on the west side have started. They both look to have kitchen/backroom space, so they will probably be the Krispy Kreme and Jimmy Johns. The one closest to the Sheraton has faux wood paneling like other Krispy Kreme stores, but the one closest to the Marriott had dark blue tile, which is different than the usual red/white/black of Jimmy John's and the green and white of KK. Was the fourth pavilion spoken for yet? I would like Snoopy's to be there, but am not sure

The other two pavilions did not seem to be too far along, but I didn't get as close. It wouldn't be much to set up the art gallery or other retail. It sounded like the "gallery" will be closer to a gift shop (like the corner store in Marbles) than a traditional gallery with paintings, sculptures, etc. The Mahler Gallery a few blocks north on Fayetville Street will showcase larger items. I hope these kiosks do better than the old Kinko's in front of the county courthouse, though they are bigger and better oriented to their surroundings.

The one year "art" piecs look to be more geared to fun than capital A Art, though one piece seems too high to be played with. Artificial turf has been installed on top of the Wilmington street entrance of the parking deck.

There is a deli/cafe in the Fayetville St. side of Progress Energy One, and Ship on Site has moved into the Sheraton's lobby. The Sheraton's restaurant now has its lunch buffet (Monday - Friday) posted on the F Street side -- Italian, Mexican, Seafood, and two other days I forget.

http://www.krispykreme.com/storeopenings.html

442 Fayetteville Street, Raleigh, NC 27601 - OPENING OCTOBER 24, 2009!

Krispy Kreme's website has the new Fayetteville Street location as coming soon and expected to open on October 24th. I'm glad it'll be open for RWO. However I'll still always end up at the Peace Street location. Nothing like hot donuts off the convener! :D

The plaza location will be good for all the conventioneers/visitors/workers. I can see it being profitable.

I wandered up to RWO after the rain stopped and much to my surprise that stupid craft store kiosk was closed. During RWO. What the hell?!?

If they can't justify staying open for RWO, what makes them think they are going to last more than a few months?

I am looking forward to the next tenant of that space, though.

I wandered up to RWO after the rain stopped and much to my surprise that stupid craft store kiosk was closed. During RWO. What the hell?!?

If they can't justify staying open for RWO, what makes them think they are going to last more than a few months?

I am looking forward to the next tenant of that space, though.

Not a bright business decision. Tons of people right outside your door being possible customers? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

The Collector's Gallery had a "soft opening" on Friday night, with a band, food, drinks, etc. And a great crowd was there when I was there. However, in talking with the owners, they did say that the store was not quite ready, and neither were essential things, like the computer they use to ring people up. Knowing that, I can understand them being closed for RWO. I am certain it was a difficult decision for them to make, and I do know they were hoping to be open. But you don't want people's first experience to be a bad one. And you can not write tickets by hand for that many potential customers. If they were open, and it was a disaster, they would get berated on this website by the same people who are berating them for not being open!

It looks great in the store, and I was pleasantly surprised with the selections and prices. It is more of a craft store then a fine art store. And with pottery's rich history in NC, I think it is a perfect fit. Not to mention, it is beautiful when looking from the exterior through all the glass. I think you doubters should stop by and see for yourself. The Collector's Gallery has been in downtown Raleigh for many, many years and has a huge local following. It started on Martin St. before it moved to City Market. They have now split into the Mahler Gallery with fine art, and the Collector's Gallery for craft-y items.

That is exactly what I was hoping would fill those spaces, and was thus very disappointed with the "big" announcement of Jimmy Johns. I do however think Shish Kabob and especially KK will be great there.

(And, no, I do not work for the galleries! Just a supporter of local businesses, and hope you will be too.)

I stopped by the city plaza last night, and must say that I'm trully impressed. I was especially excited by the light towers, which look awesome at night. The LED lighting rotates through a series of colors, and makes the entire plaza appear almost majical.

This definitely takes Raleigh to the next level. It's innovative, creative, contemporary, and most importantly, it looks great.

Raleigh definitely got this one right!

Hadn't been to City Plaza before last night. I must say I like it. It was basically empty, but it was a rainy Tuesday night, so not a surprise. It could be improved if the BofA and BB&T buildings converted some of their ground floor space to retail to complement the pavilions.

As much as people wanted to embrace the Juame Plensa concept (me included at the time), for most I believe the support was based on the desire for Raleigh to do something unique and attention-grabbing, with little attention to how well it fit the site and the goals of the city to create a well used public space downtown. Some considered his plaza design not to be among his best work. City Plaza may not grab many headlines as Plensa did, but I believe it will be a better fit for the space, while reconnecting Raleigh's historic main street once again from end to end. People want a space that is flexible and can be programmed to fit a variety of events, along with some amount of retail that will draw people in, and the plaza we have does that well. Ultimately, the success of the plaza should be linked with the completion of Charter Square next door and the continued redevelopment of the south end of Fayetteville St to the Progress Energy Center, which I hope will come in the next few years.

I am thrilled that the craft gallery is in one of the kiosks. Don't get the hate from previous posters. When I worked downtown, it was VERY often that I needed to run out at lunch and find a gift for someone. I went to the gallery late Saturday afternoon and they were certainly open, although seemed to be writing down purchases. I understand that they were not given the go-ahead to get in the space til Wednesday, so it is amazing they got open at all.

Frankly, I applaud Collector's for this venture. What other retail is downtown for downtown workers, convention goers and tourist shoppnig? A couple over at City Market...but that's it. Conventioneers and tourist want to shop, workers need to buy presents and things for themselver. It is not H&M, but it is retail and nice retail. I am glad they are there and think they will do well.

You think something better should be done, by all means stop being whiners and go do it, if you think it would be more needed and successful.

I too was downtown last night to check out the plaza and think it accomplishes just fine what it set out to do. Its nice looking. Open, but has some things to do. It sort of brings together the best elements of a street and the old Fayetteville Street mall. Regarding Collectors gallery, I would say you needed both food and non-food down here. There are not many places to eat on this end of the street, but a gift type shop also works well with the types of folks that will be down here. I do wonder how they will pay their rent...thats a lot of small gifts to sell.....doughnuts, kabobs and subs surely will outsell any gift shop in this town. Charter Square will be an important final piece down here as it will (hopefully) add residents, and more retail space.....economic conditions allowing.

I too was downtown last night to check out the plaza...

Interestingly, I went downtown to check out the plaza too last night. Perhaps I crossed paths with you and The Chief.

I agree that things are looking pretty good there. It makes me impatient for Charter Square as well as sites 2 and 3 to get finished, though. The Krispy Kreme seems to stay open at least into the evening since I went by around 7. More retail facing the plaza similar to the kiosks would be nice, though, something in 1 and 2 Hanover Square. It has a feel of an area that's trying to become a destination, but I don't think it's reached that critical mass yet.

You can also now get a feel for how the Marriott fits in with City Plaza and the rest of Fayetteville Street. I think it goes fairly well. Of course the Wilmington Street side is an atrocity...

I wandered through the Charter Square and Marriott parking decks. I think I only saw one car total parked at Charter Square. The Marriott deck was pretty empty too though busier than Charter Square.

I made my first pass the Sunday after RWO and the Krispy Kreme was open even then (around 6 pm) and there were a few people wandering as well. The lack of "hot donuts now" will reduce business from the locals, but donut and coffee runs for meetings in the Fayetville Street corridor are now a lot easier. It is late in the year to be offering ice cream and shakes, but that will be a good option next spring.

The blue tile in the middle of the "wall" threw me off, but it should be a good compliment to Starbucks, etc.. With more covered, outside seating, it could be an NC version of Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans (half joking, half not).

The gallery is neat and offers something different from Father and Sons, Stitch, the City Market stores, the Wilmington Street clothing stores, etc. I don't blame them for not being open during RWO since the high level of foot traffic could have led to several items breaking. Jimmy Johns is far enough away from the two Subways, and (hopefully) serves a different market than Shish-kabob (does anyone know if it is affiliated with any existing restaurants?) and Sam and Wally's.

The soon to be ice skating rink is small, but bigger than North Hill's "rink" and they made a go of it. The color-changing LEDs that hide the utilitiy areas make art out of otherwise wasted space.

It would have been interesting to see what Plensa would have done with this "canvas" -- an open (and occasionaly closable) F Street "open vista" down the middle, the "borrowed" art spaces in the planters, and the rest of the plaza.

• 6 months later...

post-4367-127308925099_thumb.jpg

I know this is not Fayetteville street but...

The Hargett Street part of Brass Grill finally has its corrugated mask removed....after all these years clearly two windows are still intact.....this helps this little historic corner look all that much better

• 3 years later...

Archived