Raleigh's Fayetteville Street

ericurbanite

I don't think this has been mentioned yet. The Boylan-Pearce building really looks good now that the facade has been taken back to its original look. This article says the owner is looking for a spa operator for the first and second floors. http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/06/24/3961540/landmark-boylan-pearce-building.html

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best looking building on the street I'd say. I always had American Apparel in mind for that space since they prefer old buildings in outdoor shopping districts and we have so few...plus Boylan Pierce WAS an apparel store and has the shelving to be reused.... but I suppose a spa is better than nothing, though I still don't think the CBD can support a spa. 

I was kind of hoping for some sort of apparel store too. Iatria wasn't able to make their downtown location work when it was in the ground floor of the Red Hat tower 7 or 8 years ago. I remember it always being so dead inside there when I would walk by. This building looking so good makes the Kimbrell's Furniture building look even more dismal. 

• 1 year later...

114 Fayetteville Street (immediately north of the Wells Fargo building) is going to be demolished. The building seems like it has been in pretty poor shape for a while, but it is a nice complement to 112 immediately to its north so I will be sorry to see it go. Empire may be planning to turn it into a patio for Capital City Tavern or something.

114 Fayetteville Street (immediately north of the Wells Fargo building) is going to be demolished. The building seems like it has been in pretty poor shape for a while, but it is a nice complement to 112 immediately to its north so I will be sorry to see it go. Empire may be planning to turn it into a patio for Capital City Tavern or something.

After spending all that money replacing the original facade? I call BS. Both of these were negotiated to be left as part of approving the original First Union plan...they wanted to take them both out for an even bigger patio I am told by old timers in my office. These buildings have 1880's bones. 

After spending all that money replacing the original facade? I call BS. Both of these were negotiated to be left as part of approving the original First Union plan...they wanted to take them both out for an even bigger patio I am told by old timers in my office. These buildings have 1880's bones. 

What a dumb idea. Isn't that patio completely shaded by the building for most of the year, making it unusable in the winter?

• 1 month later...

Orulz is right. Empire is in the process of very quietly (and slowly) demolishing 114 Fayetteville. Can't believe I'm only just now noticing, and that none of the downtown blogs, etc. have caught/noticed. They are the absolute worst.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Speaking of upgrading existing properties (like I mentioned over in the Glenwood thread), One Hannover/future old Bank of America building looks a ton better with the ground floor redone. The architects matched up the color combos and added a bunch of glass....big improvement me thinks. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, DanRNC said:

About time. ^It says it has been vacant for years so I wouldn't feel too guilty.

It was vacant for years before becoming an old person's home. Honestly a highrise doesn't serve seniors very well. I'd more inclined to couple senior living spaces with parks and close to medical facilities. Plopped down in the middle of a loud busy city never seemed like the best situation. At this point the taxes generated by a rehabilitated Sir Walter would probably offset the HUD subsidization. I don't know for certain but guess the subsidies might net a few hundred thousand a year? For every hundred thousand in rent subsidy you'd have to add 10M in tax value to the building  for it to be a wash which seems doable. Plus if it was a hotel again, that's additional room tax it would generate beyond simple property tax. Plus visitor spending=sales tax. 

The fact that it's fully occupied (and as far as I can remember, has been fully occupied more or less continuously) says it's not that unattractive a locale for the seniors. They are within walking distance of the city's bus hub, only 3.5 miles to WakeMed, a CVS two blocks away (pharmacies are important to seniors), churches, etc. 

Gentrification is a fact of life. When the time comes to handle the displaced seniors, I hope the City learned lessons from the Moore Square debacle a few years ago. 

4 hours ago, ctl said:

The fact that it's fully occupied (and as far as I can remember, has been fully occupied more or less continuously) says it's not that unattractive a locale for the seniors. They are within walking distance of the city's bus hub, only 3.5 miles to WakeMed, a CVS two blocks away (pharmacies are important to seniors), churches, etc. 

Gentrification is a fact of life. When the time comes to handle the displaced seniors, I hope the City learned lessons from the Moore Square debacle a few years ago. 

I think that its because there aren't enough places approved for HUD elderly assistance. I think you'd find they fill up no matter where they are located. There really aren't that many HUD elderly units in the City...I think Capital Towers is the biggest and Sir Walter second biggest..., though the City itself provides some units too (e.g. Glenwood Towers, Halifax, Etc.). 

As an aside, I am not the only one who thinks coupling greenspace with senior housing is a good thing. Interestingly this author notes the benefits of both urban location and greenspace, which while difficult to pull off both for a single facility, Raleigh might be just the sort of place it can be achieved, especially with Dix master planning just under way...maybe a slice of Heritage Park can be rolled up into elderly living space and pedestrian improvements between the two areas added in. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 150,000 square feet of Class A office space
  • 240 residential units.
  • Street-level retail plus retail bank branch.
  • December 2017 groundbreaking, summer 2019 opening.

This project site was previously called Charter Square North. FNB recently completed purchase of Yadkin Financial which was a large community bank in the area. Maybe this should be moved to the Charter Square thread and renamed to FNB tower, or a new thread started?

zD9eklI.jpg

Rendering looks great! Building seems to have a slightly creased shape which i welcome instead of the solid box renderings. Any guesses at the height? I know 22 stories is as tall as they can go for that location but i wonder what the final height will actually be. Looking at the way the floors are broken down, my math says it should be around 325ft. However i know past plans showed 315ft and 290ft at different times 

Archived