Raleigh's Fayetteville Street

ericurbanite

Yep, that last picture is the one to hold onto. I think that's going to look SO different in 2008!!! Can't wait!!!

We came out of the Nutcracker Saturday night thinking about how cool it's going to be to:

a> SEE the Capitol

b> be able to walk straight up the inviting street to bars

c> not have to walk straight to our car right after the show

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's going on on Fayetteville Street to make it look like such a war zone? Seems to be more than a simple streetscaping project.

It's an Extreme Makeover of an old, failed, pedestrian mall.

So they're ripping that out, building a street, making sidewalk and streetscape improvements, and installing public art. It's a major investment in the core of the capitol city, and hopes are that, once completed, it will return to its former glory as NC's main street. Stay tuned...

Here's a story from WRAL last night. Talking about what the city will do with the parking lot in front of the Progress Energy center - turn it into a street as well, or have a public meeting space. What do you guys thing?

Here's the Link

I think the city should convert it into a green area. One additional block of pavement to the performing arts center won't add a whole lot IMO. I still think a statue, monument or a fountain would be a good centerpiece here. It would be a great place for people to congregate to look down Fayetteville Street once complete. A green space would add a different element into the mix when developers eye the lots to either side of it.

I'm ready to see some pavement. When are they scheduled to start?
Already started pouring concrete right in front of the Chick-Fil-A (intersection betw Davie and Fay St). I think most of the paving will be later on though, as it can be the last step, and done fairly quickly.

Talking about what the city will do with the parking lot in front of the Progress Energy center - turn it into a street as well, or have a public meeting space. What do you guys think?

I'd like to see an extended Fayetteville St with some low-to-midrise development on sites 2 and 3. I like the top option (see link) with mid-rise condos and retail. Extending the street will keep the linear visual connection between the Capitol and the Mem Auditorium (PE Ctr). I think it will be a while before all that is envisioned will take off, but hopefully, we will get another major employer in DT too, and that will further fuel the residential condo and retail market.

It's an Extreme Makeover of an old, failed, pedestrian mall.

So they're ripping that out, building a street, making sidewalk and streetscape improvements, and installing public art. It's a major investment in the core of the capitol city, and hopes are that, once completed, it will return to its former glory as NC's main street. Stay tuned...

Oh wow. Seems like some cities have done some unorthodox things to their Main Streets throughout the years (although a pedestrian mall isn't quite so unorthodox). The city I now reside in actually built this covering (I guess something like a giant awning--I wasn't here when it was erected) over Main Street, I guess to simulate an indoor mall. This was an effort to compete against retail out in the 'burbs during the 70's. Fortunately, it has been removed (can't remember how long ago--sometime in the 80's maybe?). I await the finished product in Raleigh. Streetscaping and beautification projects are great things, but it's hell while that AND other projects are going on at the same time. Columbia is actually doing three streetscapings at once (including one along Main). When is the beautification in Raleigh set to be complete?

I was poking around down there last night, and I must say that those sidewalks are going to be enormous. They should have made the street a little wider to accomodate a possible future streetcar

I agree. it stikes me that we will essentially still have a pedestrian mall. the sidewalks are way wider than they need to be to accommodate cafe seating, etc. I like your streetcar idea. I suppose we;ll just stick with the Raleigh "Trolley"

I think the reasoning behind the huge sidewalks is that cafes will be able to have tables on the sidewalk and stores will be able to set up displays there. I think they were like 20 feet wide - they definitely don't think we need 20 feet on either side of the road just for people walking. Places with sidewalk cafes are not very common in NC, but can really add to the atmosphere.

And, actually, I think streetcars could run on Fayetteville with just two traffic lanes. They'd just run in mixed traffic with cars. That's pretty common.

I think the extra-wide sidewalks is the way to go. They are adding parking which was a huge need that was addressed. I think 2 lanes of traffic is all they need. Fayetteville doesn't need to be a huge cut-thru street with 4 lanes. The addition of only two lanes will make it more pedestrian friendly and easier to pull in and out of parking spots. The wide sidewalks will definitely encourage street activity such as cafes. Glenwood South is only 2 lanes and it has proven successful.

I think the extra-wide sidewalks is the way to go. They are adding parking which was a huge need that was addressed. I think 2 lanes of traffic is all they need. Fayetteville doesn't need to be a huge cut-thru street with 4 lanes. The addition of only two lanes will make it more pedestrian friendly and easier to pull in and out of parking spots. The wide sidewalks will definitely encourage street activity such as cafes. Glenwood South is only 2 lanes and it has proven successful.

Very good point Avery...I agree 100%

This is Raleigh's Center of Action.Within 20 Years I am thinking the city may be glad they went this route instead of the normal Narrow sidewalks. There will be many more hi-rises by then and the extra footpath will be needed. And as we know with the extra pedestrians comes the need for extra storefront retail and specialty shops.I would love to see the day where you can just go downtown, via Rail,and shop from one block to the next with fine cafe's and eatery's throughout Fayetteville St.

Very good point Avery...I agree 100%

This is Raleigh's Center of Action.Within 20 Years I am thinking the city may be glad they went this route instead of the normal Narrow sidewalks. There will be many more hi-rises by then and the extra footpath will be needed. And as we know with the extra pedestrians comes the need for extra storefront retail and specialty shops.I would love to see the day where you can just go downtown, via Rail,and shop from one block to the next with fine cafe's and eatery's throughout Fayetteville St.

Personally, I am excited about the Blount Street project. I think this area could be really neat. It would tie in wonderfully to Fayetteville Street around the Govenor's manision and on towards New Bern Ave. Downtown could really be a great pedestrian friendly environment. I wish there was a little more on this project. The website hasn't had too many updates recently. I could really see some unique storefronts, restaurants and inns in this area.

I agree about the wide sidewalks. Look at Tryon St in Charlotte. The sidewalks are on the order of 20-25 feet. The idea is to create pedestrian traffic while accomodating some of the on-street parking needs for businesses in the area. In about 10 years, we will be glad we had the large walkways.

I think the environment envisioned was something on the order of Asheville, with its cafes around the monument (forgot the street name). The streetcars are a cool idea though. The balance between pedestrian friendly (many people actually wanted to keep the mall, more than most of us realize to this day) and vehicle access to ground level retail of all types, was what this design was trying to accomplish. I am more excited about the mall and removal of the old CC than any other projects downtown because they clean off a rather mucked up slate.

• 3 months later...

So it looks like the opening of the street will be delayed by about two months - here's the story from WTVD.

notice the whole negative tone of the article - I really don't think people are becoming apathetic about downtown - quite the opposite. I think its exciting, and who really didn't expect some kind of delay in the opening of Fayetteville Street. But I do think its crazy to think that the phone company could delay progress for that long, maybe it was poor project management.

Yeah, that article was really too brief to what was discussed/presented at the Downtown Raleigh Alliance Meeting.

A friend of mine invited me to attend and the presentation painted a brighter picture of what was happening downtown. A lot of the updates they mentioned we have talked about on this board and there was nothing new presented about upcoming projects.

Other things the Alliance mentioned coming up in the pipeline were improving the streetscaping of the downtown districts, expansion of the downtown trolley to serve all the districts downtown, expansion of downtown activities, saving/renovating exsiting building stock. There were some other items that were mentioned but I didn't have anything to take notes with :(

The mayor mentioned in his opening remarks about encouraging building owners to invest in their property if they are asking for rents in the $20-$30 SF range and of course highlighted that there are significant places to dine and club downtown.

The director from the convention center spoke and it was encouraging to hear that when the convention center is completed in 2008, that there WILL be conventions coming to town and that there are about 20 conventions waiting/interested in coming to the area. He also talked about the Performing Arts center and mentioned that since it was incepted that there has/and still is a big draw for the area in regards to major acts and shows that come here....he said that this center is more significant than RBC and Alltel Pavillion in attracting shows by a combined three-fold (750 shows compared to 200 at RBC and Alltel)

The new planning director mention looking into the reworking of city regulations to encourage better development downtown. He mentioned that his department will be looking at the issue of the Public Relm and what can be done to improve it. He also mentioned and the big questions that came up....what is the next phase after 5 after 5 and how to keep the momentum going.

So what is next for the City of Oaks?

Archived