Top 5 Things You Love (or Hate) about HR

lammius

I agree, but it's damn tricky. Each city has been working so hard at becoming it's own hot spot that regionalism seems out, at these for now. I think this is why "Hampton Roads" doesn't stick - Portsmouth seems content with being Portsmouth. The "New Norfolk" is crazy about being the "New Norfolk."

The Richmond comparison doesn't really work for me. Richmond is so clearly the dominate player. Maybe if Chesterfield had it's own downtown and Fan District, etc. there would be more of a conflict. The "problem" is we have 7 really cool cities here. (ok, maybe Chesapeake really just blows! - Just kidding!) Let's say Richmond touched Washington DC like VA Beach touches Norfolk; do you call the area Richmond just because it's been around longer and has more history - by default.

I know, we should be the Norfolk-Virginia Beach area, like Winston-Salem or Washington-Baltimore. Norfolk and Virginia Beach as names should be the name. Portsmouth is awesome but just too small to talk about. Chesapeake is a suburb like Chesterfield is to Richmond. Suffolk hardly counts at the moment - and so what? haha

"Norfolk-Virginia Beach" - way, way better than "Hampton Roads."

A DC comparison might work though because there are a few cities in the DC area like Alexandria and others... overall, the area is DC

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok I'll nibble.

Five things I like:

1. A beautiful, coastal environment, with clean air and generally clean water.

2. A variety of recreational attractions, from Williamsburg to the Oceanfront

3. A mostly progressive development perspective--especially downtown Norfolk and VB Town Center.

4. Nice neighborhoods, most of them safe and possibly still affordable.

5. Pace is reasonably laid back, but not too much so.

Five things I dislike

1. Lack of a stronger private corporate presence for an area of our size

2. Too much military influence in the local economy and the social fabric; can be oppressive (no offense to the Navy, there just could be more of some other economic sectors and their respective mindsets)

3. Lack of an effective way to solve traffic and other problems (local, state or national levels all guilty)

4. Lack of a really great local university--and low pay for the professors that we have

5. Racial inequality and class division--still a problem here

Archived