Seaboard Station

orulz

Cool, this sounds like a great development. I'm picturing some of these buildings turning out like ATHD in Durham, and that would be very nice. There is a lot of potential tucked away up there near the old Seaboard Station.

By the way, whilst driving down Capital Blvd yesterday, I noticed something I haven't seen before. It was a train with an engine and a single passenger car. The engine was painted blue with North Carolina graphics and the passenger car looked like one of NCDOT's cars used on the Piedmont. This train didn't have the usual Piedmont engine, and I thought the one passenger car was odd. It was located just north of the Peace St exit over towards the parallel railroad tracks. Anyone know what that is? Unfortunately I didn't get any clear pictures (no time).

Cool, this sounds like a great development. I'm picturing some of these buildings turning out like ATHD in Durham, and that would be very nice. There is a lot of potential tucked away up there near the old Seaboard Station.

By the way, whilst driving down Capital Blvd yesterday, I noticed something I haven't seen before. It was a train with an engine and a single passenger car. The engine was painted blue with North Carolina graphics and the passenger car looked like one of NCDOT's cars used on the Piedmont. This train didn't have the usual Piedmont engine, and I thought the one passenger car was odd. It was located just north of the Peace St exit over towards the parallel railroad tracks. Anyone know what that is? Unfortunately I didn't get any clear pictures (no time).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NCDOT owns 4 engines. The ones you're used to seeing on the Piedmont are a pair of EMD F59PHs, which the state acquired in 1997. These are also sometimes called "California Engines" because they were developed to match the physical size and appearance of the Amtrak "California Cars."

The other engines are a pair of GP40s, which NCDOT acquired used in 1995 to get the Piedmont service started. These days, they're used as switchers in the NCDOT Capital Yard, and very occasionally as backup power when both of the F59s are out of service.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by an "odd" passenger car, but it may have been something like a lounge car, or the "combine" - a combination passenger/generator car that they're converting into a passenger/baggage car. Last I heard, it was up for restoration; maybe it's back from the shop and that's what you saw. They also own a couple sleeper cars and a few more passenger coaches that have not been restored yet. I'm not really sure what they're planning to do with that equipment. Maybe a night train from Asheville to Wilmington? ^_^

I think expecting something as cool as the American Tobacco Historic District is a bit of a stretch for these buildings, but I do expect something neat. Ever seen the Royal on Hillsborough, right across from Meredith College? Think along those lines and you won't be too far off.

Here is a rendering of the first seaboard warehouse to be restored. Not quite "urban" in the traditional sense - but attractive, and fits in well with the neighborhood.

rendering.jpg

This is what that same building (currently vacant) looks like now. I couldn't get it from the same angle because there was stuff in the way. The building in the background is part of Peace College, which is right next door. It'll be quite a transformation. This is all supposed to happen by the end of the summer?

warehouses_1.jpg

Here are some more pictures of the Seaboard warehouses. Some of them are in use, while others are not. I think the plan is to eventually redevelop all of them.

warehouses_2.jpg

warehouses_3.jpg

And lastly the old Seaboard station. It's now owned by a business called Logan Trading Co. which apparently sells landscaping supplies. This is a significantly nicer station than the old Southern station that Amtrak is currently using, but the CSX line to the north of Raleigh is no longer active so passenger trains don't come thorugh here anymore. It hasn't served as a passenger station since the early 1980's, but at least it's being used by someone rather than falling into disrepair. They even kept the old platforms and canopies, and are using them for displaying and storing merchandise.

station.jpg

Just to the north of the warehouses you'll find Capitol Park, which used to be a dilapidated public housing project by the name of Halifax Court. It was completely demolished with Hope VI money, and replaced with a simple but very attractive mixed income urban neighborhood of small free-standing row houses, townhomes, and low-rise apartments. Forgot to take pictures (oops!) but you can see some images on the Raleigh Housing Authority's website. Seriously, if that's what the "projects" look like these days, then where do I go to sign up? Reasonably sized, reasonably priced apartments and homes in an urban setting close to downtown? Can't beat that! I imagine that a grocery store will be a welcome addition to the neighborhood as well.

Edited by orulz

Yeah I know the development you speak of--with Playmakers and Quiznos? Somehow I thought these buildings were larger, but at any rate I'm glad they will be used and not demolished in favor of something new. I like the idea of reusing old industrial structures whenever possible because it always seems more urban and often has a lot more personality--it's memorable.

I think the old Seaboard Station is tight and it's great that someone is using it on a daily basis, even if its purpose now has nothing to do with trains :D Logan Trading has been there for a while if I recall. When I was in High School we got a lot of our lighting equipment from Stageworks, which was right there at the end of Seaboard Ave, next to the tracks (white warehouse). They moved a while back to a new facility off of Capital Blvd (near Wade Ave exit). I haven't been down Seaboard Ave in probably 6 or 7 years now.

As far as the mystery train goes, those spare engines might come in handy for the proposed Asheville and Wilmington passenger trains. ;) I'd like to see NCDOT invest in some DMUs, as suggested in one of those Wilmington reports, but I fear the price would be prohibitive right now. Better to get the lines started with working equipment on hand, then upgrade down the road if possible.

Logan's isn't just "someone" selling "landscape supplies"- it's a great nursery, garden shop with plants, misc. decorative items for your garden, a great place to get gifts, birdfeeders, seeds, etc. with a cool little restaurant that serves lunch with outdoor seating. It's quite popular and draws people to that warehouse area in the first place. There are also a few cool home furnishing stores adjacent to Logan's, the Red Pin and Seaboard Imports, plus there's a wine shop, making this a cool little corner to visit on a Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, for those of us who live in Mordecai/Oakwood/Pilot Mill, a grocery store nearby is going to be great. The closest store is at Cameron Village, and it's always so crowded!

I didn't reall mean to sound negative about Logan. I've got a thing for trains and related infrastructure and structures, so I guess I just got a little carried away...

I noticed that the Cotton Mill is just across the tracks from this neighborhood, too. This is a really neat part of town!

And lastly, for those of you who haven't seen it yet, here is an early conceptual rendering from a different perspective of the Seaboard Warehouses. I pulled this from the Livable Streets website.

early_rendering.gif

On saturday when I was out shooting Five Points, I explored around the Seaboard Station area and stumbled across something very cool up near the rail yard at the end of Halifax St (I think that's the name of it).

There's an old mill or warehouse structure that looks as though it has undergone at least a partial rennovation, and there was this large ancient boiler sitting in the parking lot. It looks like the ones removed from the American Tobacco Historic District buildings during the phase I rennovation.

The sun was setting, so the lighting conditions were not the all that favorable for these shots... At any rate, I found this contraption fascinating. To give an idea of size, that is a 4WD Toyota Tacoma in the background

boiler3.jpg

boiler2.jpg

Inside...

boiler1.jpg

And one leftover shot of my arrival back home

Cary1.jpg

On saturday when I was out shooting Five Points, I explored around the Seaboard Station area and stumbled across something very cool up near the rail yard at the end of Halifax St (I think that's the name of it).

There's an old mill or warehouse structure that looks as though it has undergone at least a partial rennovation, and there was this large ancient boiler sitting in the parking lot.

Where you were is Pilot Mill. It was built around the turn of last century, and it has been fully renovated. My office is there-it's a nice place, great place for an office.

I always thought that boiler thingy in the parking lot looks like one of those robot sentinels in "The Matrix." :blink:

Ah cool, I remember seeing the name now. I knew the side I was facing was rennovated, as I saw signs and stuff for offices, etc. I didn't explore the rest of the facility though because of time constraints... plus I was still a bit stunned to see this stuff. I really need to explore around the north end of downtown more often. I haven't done so in 8 years! I love seeing creative re-use of structures like this :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Wow $18/sf is really high for retail...especially for a grocery type store entering into  unchartered territory....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They say it's unchartered, but seaboard is downtown - a stone's throw from Peace College, and an easy, quick walk from Oakwood or Pilot Mill. And, lest we should forget, it's only three blocks from the Krispy Kreme!

It's not far from Glenwood South either, but the scenery kind of sucks. They really need to do something to improve the Capital/Peace "interchange". But with the exception of the block between Capital and the CSX railroad tracks, Peace Street is really on the upswing as an urban corridor in Raleigh.

I really don't know how $18/sf compares to other areas or your average strip mall, but this really is a prime location. I'd love to see an Earth Fare end up at Seaboard, but just about any grocery store would be fine.

• 4 months later...

The store will be more upscale than the Fresh Market, and offer delivery to your car.

MORE upscale than Fresh Market? Geez! For prices like that I'd better get delivery to my HOUSE, and a cook and clean-up crew to boot.

(Seriously, though, it's great to have another grocer coming downtown)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I hadn't heard anyone talking about this restaurant - but it sounds very good. I didn't even know something was opening there yet - but glad to see the revitalization of that warehouse coming together. Here's a little review of it from the N&O:

All aboard!

With last weekend's opening of 18 Seaboard (861-4318; www.18seaboard.com), the long-dormant warehouse near the old Seaboard railroad depot has returned to life. The restaurant is the first tenant to open in Seaboard Station, the commercial complex that is taking shape in the renovated warehouse building near Peace College.

I work a few blocks away, and I'm happy about this project. Even though the finished product departed somewhat from initial renderings (which were a bit more exciting architecturally), it looks pretty good, and I'm stoked about the grocery store coming in. Has anyone tried the restaurant yet?