Seaboard Station

orulz

• 9 months later...

Seaboard is a very lively place and ususally packed with a wide variety of customers (pet store, landscaping store, hardware store, fitness center, and numerous restaurants). However, it still feels very car-dependent. Even walking from one store to another, you have to walk through parking lots. It just doesn't have a very pedestrian feel to it.

It seems like the one thing missing (and that could help with the more pedestrian feel) is the residential component. Its too bad the plans for 111 Seaboard Ave condos were scrapped - I bet they would be an instant success if the plans were revisited and converted to apartments. What about the massive parking lot to the North of the Ace building? I seem to remember plans for an apartment building here - any information on that?

This area could really benefit from a large underground parking area (ala North Hills) to reserve the street level for pedestrians and on-street parking. The corner of Franklin and Halifax also seems prime for redevelopment.

I think farther up this thread or in the apartment thread is a link to the plans for the apartments north of Ace Hardware. It has an entrance onto Halifax...I can't remember if the site includes the Halifax/Franklin area or not but it get close to it anyway.

• 2 months later...

What is referred to in my office as the old insurance building, on the site of the once proposed Seaboard condos, is being torn down. Wondering if this is just to make parking for the next building down the line which last May was being proposed to have retail in it according to the link above....

Edited by Jones133

From a March 2, 2012 TBJ article:

"Gregory & Parker’s bankruptcy petition, is not expected to have any impact on the pending redevelopment of the 111 Seaboard Marketplace building, says York Properties President George York.

York Properties plans to begin construction work on the 20,000-square-foot former Department of Insurance office building within the next two weeks, transforming it into a 15,000-square-foot retail center leading into the entrance of Seaboard Station.

York says he has lease commitments for 12,000 square feet in the building. Sola Salons will be taking 5,000 square feet for its first location in Raleigh. Operators of a new coffee shop, an organic cafe and a green dry cleaning company also have signed leases for space in York’s building.

York says he is also in final negotiations with a local restaurant operator for the building’s corner space. “Seaboard has got some really good things going on there now that we think we can build on,” he says. "

Site plan shows a patio or plaza there. Maybe for the proposed restaurant at that end of the building? Seems like this area will feel like a sea of parking between here and the 18 Seaboard/Tylers building. I keep wishing the parking was hidden better and sidewalks /pedestrians were emphasized more in that area.

Ok so I never considered that the corner would be both parking and a store, but that is what it will be....only half the building was demolished...perfectly saw cut and ready for a modern retail facade to be added and room for say 8-10 parking places directly in front, lined up even with the adjacent building.

I agree that this whole area caters better to suburban mentalities and much less to proper urban form and edicts. To me the crux starts with the lack of Peace Street focus and workability. The State contributes to the problem with it's terrible wishbone configuration under the Archdale building, making it THE worst pedestrian intersection downtown. There are so many things that need addressed in this area I just deleted 4 lines of ideas since I wasn't halfway through....

• 10 months later...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/04/15/2827967/william-peace-university-interested.html

Trouble is brewing for Seaboard Station...  Peace College apparently wants to buy the extremely successful retail center and use it for expanded student parking and activity fields (which I'm assuming would require leveling of all the buildings).

Geez, I don't even know where to start with how stupid this sounds.

One solution off the top of my head... build an underground parking deck on the West half of the block across Peace between Blount & Wilmington.  Cover the top of the deck (at ground level) with turf.

• 4 weeks later...

^

Seems the concern about Peace College buying the complex was somewhat overblown.  They repeatedly assured the City Council they wanted to keep the area going as a source of income.  (aren't some major landmarks in Manhattan owned by the endowments of colleges and universities?  Hardly a novel concept)

• 1 month later...

I can't say exactly what their plans are for Seaboard, but I can almost guarantee that their long-term vision does not include Seaboard as we know it today. Very sad that one of the only remaining areas of downtown with some real character may eventually be razed.

For a school that was claiming financial hardship not too long ago, I am still surprised  they are able to afford this.  Regardless, the income stream Seaboard generates is a big part of  anyone's  ability to purchase it, so that will have to remain for the time required to pay off the bonds.  

• 3 years later...

Highlights:

• 55,000 sf single-story Harris Teeter
  • several existing Seaboard tenants will have to relocate (each will be offered a more "visible" opportunity for relocation).
  • 30,000 sf of retail space will be added as well.
  • new parking deck [UPDATE: 3-levels per N&O]

Not sure how all that's going to fit.  My best guess:  Harris Teeter and parking deck are added at the back and a new building built at Franklin & Halifax intersection (approx 35,000 sq. ft.) for new and relocated retail (higher visibility at this intersection).

Love that a grocery store is coming close to downtown, but Seaboard is still very car-centric and does not have the best urban/pedestrian flow.  I guess we'll see once the site plan gets submitted.

seaboard.jpg

Edited by Green_man
update with parking deck info from N&O
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

this project is going to be nice and really build up the Peace St corridor.  Today drive bys and the historic Pilot Mill.  I went by this as my great aunt worked there a long time so it is in our family history book.  She lived in a mill house on N Blount St where the newer homes have been built.   (Yes do have some relatives that live or have lived in Wake County)

last photo Shell station downtown on Peace. 

IMG_6743.JPG

IMG_6744.JPG

IMG_6746.JPG

IMG_6747.JPG

IMG_6750.JPG

IMG_6752.JPG

IMG_6754.JPG

IMG_6759.JPG

IMG_6770.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 months later...