Seaboard Station

orulz

Sorry....been out of town.

It is "nice" but more towards casual. One of those places where you see suits and shorts and both look equally at home. The prices are highish, but not too high. For instance, my husbands flatiron steak was $16 and came with two sides. So, it can be affordable.

Another thumbs up vote for 18 seaboard. We're within walking distance. That's the icing on a nice menu and great winelist. Eating upstairs on the outside mezzanine was nice too, before the humidity came to play.

• 2 months later...

Is the Raleigh Chronicle a high school paper? If copy like this

A sign at the center also says that Red's Beach Music Club will also open in the center. The club looked to be still under construction and was not open yet, although it looked well under way.

comes from your Editor-in-Chief, that does not bode well. The article has no quotes and plays up the list of devlopers above the tenants. It does not mention that dancwear shop, the monogram shop (which is visible in the pictures), or Galetea, which completed its move from Cameron Village a few weeks ago. Reds is either a relocation or second location of the beach music club in north Raleigh near the Wake Forest/Old Wake Forest/Falls of the Neuse intersection. They looked at moving into The Depot, but those plans changed.

I thought Capital Grocery would be in the larger space under the 18 Seaboard seating, but it looks like it is tucked in the smaller building near Logans? There didn't seem to be much going on in either space last time I checked. It would be cool to see the grocery/Seaboard combination as you approach from Peace street. Peace from Salisbury to West still looks ragged along the sidewalk. ugh.

I also noticed that the Raleigh Chronicle article was poorly written and notably lacked research. Even 18 Seaboard was referred to incorrectly!

By the way, what do you guys think of that restaurant? I wasn't too crazy about the menu--pick your meat, sauce, and sides. I prefer something that shows a bit more creativity from the chef. I had a delicious plain piece of tuna that I could have just as easily grilled myself. Unfortunately, we also had terrible service. But the space sure is cool. I wanted to like my experience more than I did.

I thought I read somewhere that Capital City Grocery was aiming for a Labor Day opening, but that seems unlikely since it's only a few weeks away.

I also noticed that the Raleigh Chronicle article was poorly written and notably lacked research. Even 18 Seaboard was referred to incorrectly!

By the way, what do you guys think of that restaurant? I wasn't too crazy about the menu--pick your meat, sauce, and sides. I prefer something that shows a bit more creativity from the chef. I had a delicious plain piece of tuna that I could have just as easily grilled myself. Unfortunately, we also had terrible service. But the space sure is cool. I wanted to like my experience more than I did.

I thought I read somewhere that Capital City Grocery was aiming for a Labor Day opening, but that seems unlikely since it's only a few weeks away.

Very sad to hear about the food and service, but when I ride by there, it's always pulling people in. :D

I think they're still experimenting with te menu at 18 Seaboard. Watermelon and shrimp on skewers sounds creative to me. :)

Yeah, Capital City Grocer's is in the smaller bldg closer to Logan's. The entrances faces the wine warehouse. I hope it opens Labor Day. I can't wait to not have to get in the car for a grocery trip. I don't care if it *is* more expensive than Harris Teeter. It's worth it, to me. In theory, anyway.

Reds is moving there. They have closed their North Market Square location and are working on the Seaboard. Their website's calendar shows them not open for the entire month of Aug, but the Sept calendar is blank. In the meantime they are doing shagging lessons at various dance studios around.

I'm personally looking foward to the move with Red's. I love the place, however it is just so small. I'm sure this location will be larger yet still have that beach club feel. Whats pretty neat about the locations is that just up Peace Street at Broughton High School is where nearly one of the most famous Beach Music bands, The Embers, began. They're not what they used to be and I'm only 22. They've lost and gained members over the years, yet they still have one original member.

I think with the new location of Red's it will help the club stay going for much longer. Its in a more centralized location for most people and as well it is much closer to the nightlife that Raleigh has to offer. I'm all for anything that will keep Beach Music alive forever. Its something that my parents grew up with and something that I grew up with because of my parents.

I'm personally looking foward to the move with Red's. I love the place, however it is just so small. I'm sure this location will be larger yet still have that beach club feel. Whats pretty neat about the locations is that just up Peace Street at Broughton High School is where nearly one of the most famous Beach Music bands, The Embers, began. They're not what they used to be and I'm only 22. They've lost and gained members over the years, yet they still have one original member.

I think with the new location of Red's it will help the club stay going for much longer. Its in a more centralized location for most people and as well it is much closer to the nightlife that Raleigh has to offer. I'm all for anything that will keep Beach Music alive forever. Its something that my parents grew up with and something that I grew up with because of my parents.

Those are good points. I also think that it will help lure a BUNCH of 40-70 year olds to (almost) downtown. I say that because beach music is generally most popular with that age group. That age group has tons of money and has traditionally been the ones avoiding downtown. They are the last frontier, really. I can easily see some of them wanting to eat downtown and then go to Reds. That can only be good!

22 and you go to REDs ? Like DMCALL said, I thought it was for much older people. It was near my house and I always said I was going to make it my last stop some night to ..............

Anyway, never made it. As I am little older and lived in a era where beach music was popular (the 3rd time round as I am not that old), but I am nothing but a ex-punk with an MBA and shagging and beach music does not sit well ...although I met many women at the Original Zacks on Hillsbough street when I was too young to be in bars....but was !!

The "40-70 year old set" is not avoiding downtown in general, just as a social destination. They eat at Second Empire, 518, 42nd Street Oyster Bar, Sullivans, etc., maybe even have a drink. I think Amra's and the place across from 518 could be good draws, as will the Mint on Fayetville Street. They can't go to a show at Raleigh Memorial every night!

Reds does cater to a market that is not served anywhere in downtown Raleigh, if not the Triangle. Does anyone know where their core market comes from? ITB? Garner? Knightdale? Wake Forest? It looks to be something that would appeal to a lot of ITBers in Hays Barton, University Park, etc. and empty nesters who may purchase CBD condos to have less house and no yard to deal with.

It is close to downtown, but not in the middle of Glenwood, Fayetville Street, or Moore Square, so can enjoy quieter neighbors.

The "40-70 year old set" is not avoiding downtown in general, just as a social destination. They eat at Second Empire, 518, 42nd Street Oyster Bar, Sullivans, etc., maybe even have a drink.

So true! I can't think of hardly any 20-30's aged folks that I know who can afford those restaurants hardly at all! :shok:

(And, as much as I love the place, the Irregardless seems to be getting more and more of that age set and fewer young folks, too.)

^ hey us old crustys hafta play, too! Just kidding.

I love Irregardless. I love that they have live music all the time. And a decent menu, always good wines, etc. I don't think I really appreciated it until I was out of my roaring 20's - mid 30's. Then I couldn't imagine why you would want to have a conversation over a meal, much les be able to hear the person! :lol:

WRAL Anchor/Reporter Bill Leslie says he really enjoys 18 Seaboard:

http://html.wral.com/sh/blogger/2006/08/ra...-report-18.html

Well sorry Bill but I went there for lunch with two friends and we all left feeling disappointed--the place is really beautiful but unfortunately the food was not...at least not that day. That chilled cucumber soup everyone is raving about...hey just get a food processor and toss in a few cucumbers and you're there. It's bland and has the consistency of applesauce. I got the chicken salad sandwich and the bread was turning hard from staleness. One of my friends got I think what they called oven fries as a side dish but they were greasy and, like the other items we ordered, just bland. Maybe it was a bad day for them, or maybe lunch isn't their thing, or maybe we ordered the wrong thing. Has anyone else been there for lunch and had really good food??? (I mean, anybody other than you Bill)

Edited by guy4charlotte

There is a segment of the population that appreciates the "create your own" menu. It is nice to see the "pizza experience" of choosing crust, sauce, and toppings applied to something more upscale than pizza, pasta (at Macaroni Grill), and burgers (Red Robin, Chilis). There are plenty of times I wanted to order a particular dish but it has one thing just not quite right -- a sauce, vegetable, or rice/potatoes/pasta choice. I don't want to insult the chef's creation, so I settle something else. If this is offered in conjunction with a rotating/seasonal menu of selections, there would be something for the "wow me" and "let me do my own thing" crowds.

18 Seaboard has only been open a few months, so it may be still working out some kinks. It seems serving lunch started earlier than expected plans due to its success. I hope the "European pub" is close to Tir Na Nog/Hibernian, but without being forced into Irish choices -- fish and chips, Shepard's pie, Guiness Stew, etc.

I drove by the backside of Seaboard on the way into work this morning. There was a lot of activity around Capital City Grocery and the corner pub. With so many trucks, etc. around, I didn't get too close, only took Fraklin Street to Logan nursery and looped around. It looked like they were building the bar or other woodwork in the pub. No signs other than "coming soon" and "now hiring" for the grocery.

Reds didn't look as happing worker wise, but I did not get close to look inside.

• 1 month later...

I swung by there last week and noticed the following:

- Ace Hardware now has a "coming soon" banner in the space north of the wine store. They are reconfiguring that stretch of warehouses now that the structrue of the "front" complex with 18 Seaboard, Capital City Grocery, etc. is done.

- Capital City Grocery has its storefront signs up and has a lot of shelving... but no products on them yet. Not sure when they plan on opening, other than "soon".

- J. Betskis (sp?) is also "closer" but not open. They missed the "late summer" on their signs but could open soon.

- the monogram store visible as you approach along Salisbury looked full of stuff, but I didn't get too close.

- The "machine" in Pilot Mill in NorffCarolina's pics on page one of this thread is now "art". They moved it off the parking lot and onto a median, and it is lit at night.

- Houses next to Pilot Mill are now going for $500k! They are about 75-80% done, and are now on both sides of Blount Street near the train tracks. The two story, 2000 sq ft+ houses with two-car, detached garages fronting alleys have been quite successful in the block north of what was Halifax Court and is now Caiptol Park. Hopefully similar success will happen near Chavis Heights, and maybe the complex between Dawson and South Saunders along South Street.

They definitly need to put a sandwich shop, or something in seaboard. I got to RCHS and the only place realtively close to there for eating is Sunflower's although Sunflower's is great, Something else would be nice too. They would have a nice student base, especially considering peace college, RCHS, and also lots of government workers who work in the archedale complex. As busy as sunflower's ALWAYS is I'm surprised there isnt another place like it!