Seaboard Station

orulz

I agree with Beth Y, with a kid, I find myself hitting the grocery store about every other day, and this place is so much more convienent that heading over to Kroger or Harris Teeter. Having a kid means I eat at home more, which means I grocery shop a lot more than I used to. I hit this store 4-5 times the first week it was open.

I always assumed the early closing times are likely temporary, they are posted on a handwritten sign on the door.

I too took the handmade hours sign as a sign that the current hours of operation are temporary. I've only been once due to the hours of operation, but want them to do what they feel is best.

They may be trying to get the kinks out of how many cashiers to have in place (I prefer self checkout, but am willing to make that tradeoff to shop at Cap City), restocking schedule, etc. Maybe when Ace Hardware and other retailers come online they'll stay open later.

With the J. Betski opening in a couple of weeks, hopefully there will be more foot traffic in the area and the grocery store in particular.

I'm glad Ace is going in there. When Mark's Hardware in Ridgewood closed, we were all like "Dangit, now we have to drive up to Lowe's!". Thankfully we'll have a ITB alternative once again. :thumbsup:

OK, it is slightly OTB, but Burke's Hardware is a Raleigh tradition. It is right past the fairgrounds on Hillsborough.

Yeah Burke's is great and worth the drive, but I'm glad Ace is opening up as well.

I went to Capital City grocery the other night and it was pretty empty, which was actually a refreshing change from the Teet. I know over time they will pick up plenty of business but it was still rather nice to drive up to an empty parking lot and get in and out in 5-10 minutes.

I hope they do change their hours (close at at least 10 pm) for their own sake, maybe as business picks up they will finally do this?

I can't wait to try J Betski's!

I'm surprised anyone on this board wants to do anything to help Marc.

Amen!!! I worked for that dingleberry for a couple days and the entire time I got to stand around and listen to gay jokes. Since I am one of the gay guys that doesn't "act or look gay" I guess he thought it would be safe to tell these kinds of jokes around me. Not only did he seem like a total homophobe, he also talked crap about the employees at Whole Foods and how people with piercings and off the wall hair have no place in society. It's a damn good thing he is no longer on the city council!

^^ Oh. :blink: Well nevermind then. :P All I knew is that it was a place to buy hardware near my home without driving all the way out to those North Raleigh big boxes.

Either way, I'm definitely hoping the Ace in Seaboard will be a great alternative then. That, plus the Sherwin-Williams on Peace Street, together will make driving to Lowes or Home Depot no longer necessary. :thumbsup:

Well now I'm confused. I thought Marc Scruggs was affiliated with Briggs Hardware located at the corner of Six Forks and Atlantic. Is this in addition to or totally separate from the Ridgewood SC hardware store?

I'm almost 100% sure that his family sold Briggs and he went over to Ridgewood to open Marc's.

• 2 weeks later...

This e-mail was sent to Mordecai's listserv. I didn't realize business was not good at Capital City Grocery, but it's a big deal for downtown Raleigh to have a grocery store, and it's unfortunate that they are already having thoughts of closing!

They haven't done much advertising, which is surprising to me, actually. But I just thought I'd give a shout out to support them if it's important to you.

"I was at our neighborhood grocery this weekend and the owner was

> complaining that they weren't getting the business they'd hoped

> for. He said he was losing his shirt and that he'd already had

> thoughts of closing(?!). Reid (Jacob's Dad) was making yard signs

> of support on Sat. because he'd also heard the store was in

> jeopardy... anyway, I hope word gets out that the store is in need

> of support. They've gotten every item I've asked for and their

> deals on meat and baked goods have been incredible...so let's pass

> the word, shop locally and hope we don't lose them!"

>

While Seaboard Station is a nice development, I think this was an EXTREMELY poor location for a grocery store. Here are some of the reasons for my statement:

1. The location doesn't front a major street, roadway, or pedestrian walkway.
  2. There is no signage for this store from the closest major street
  3. You have 2 very successful grocery stores @ Cameron Village, Harris Teeter(one of the highest volumes in the company) and Fresh Market.
  4. Due to city inspections and an inept architect, cost overuns at this location were enormous.
  5. Rent is a whopping $11 per square foot, not inclucing CAM and other charges.
  6. When adjoining restaurants open, parking will be at a premium.
  7. Dense residential to support pedestrian shoppers is years away
This wasn't meant to be a long term operation for the current owners, their intention was to build it and "flip-it." Based on the money being lost here, you can probably get the store for a very attractive price; but I wouldn't count on sales being there. This location is more than likely doomed.

While Seaboard Station is a nice development, I think this was an EXTREMELY poor location for a grocery store. Here are some of the reasons for my statement:
  1. The location doesn't front a major street, roadway, or pedestrian walkway.
  2. There is no signage for this store from the closest major street
  3. You have 2 very successful grocery stores @ Cameron Village, Harris Teeter(one of the highest volumes in the company) and Fresh Market.
  4. Due to city inspections and an inept architect, cost overuns at this location were enormous.
  5. Rent is a whopping $11 per square foot, not inclucing CAM and other charges.
  6. When adjoining restaurants open, parking will be at a premium.
  7. Dense residential to support pedestrian shoppers is years away
This wasn't meant to be a long term operation for the current owners, their intention was to build it and "flip-it." Based on the money being lost here, you can probably get the store for a very attractive price; but I wouldn't count on sales being there. This location is more than likely doomed.

Good points.

I wondered why the store didn't face Peace or why there's no signage facing it--it's such a busy road.

Also, when the other stores/restaurants open, I fear that the fact that CCG isn't "upscale" could hurt it. For example, whenever I go to the Cameron Village library, I always like to go into Fresh Market to browse around and maybe pick up something special. But if I were going to Logan's or one of the other stores/restaurants at Seaboard, I would probably only go into CCG if there were something that I really needed. I'm not going in there just to see what they might have and browse around like I do at the Fresh Market. The coffee bar is nice, though.

It's weird, it's kind of destined to be a "pick a few things up" kind of place, because due to its size, and even the small carts, I don't think they expected families to do their big shopping trips there. Yet it's not really specialty like Whole Foods/Fresh Market.

It's weird, it's kind of destined to be a "pick a few things up" kind of place, because due to its size, and even the small carts, I don't think they expected families to do their big shopping trips there. Yet it's not really specialty like Whole Foods/Fresh Market.

I mention this too in another thread (the downtown retail one)....I went there, really wanting to support this place, but just couldn't find most of the items on my list!

Frozen entree selection was really lacking....not a good idea in an area where you have a high number of single & childless people living there. :P Hardly any off-brand or store brand items, so you end up paying for a national brand product whether you want to or not. Produce section was remarkably small. Personal care items shelves were really small....they didn't even have the brand of shampoo or soap that I use. They did have my brand of cat food, but only in a very small bag, which wouldn't last very long at all.

I ended up going there expecting to take 5-6 bags of stuff home, ended up using only 2, then driving to HT to get the rest. :(

So as far as a small community grocery to get last minute items it's great...but to stock up on your weekly list, you're gonna have gaps. :unsure:

I think this store would have been somewhat successful in the middle of downtown (I think someone else here said the same thing) where office workers could walk to the store before work, during their lunch break, or most importantly, after work. That's in addition to the growing number of people living downtown who don't want to drive for a few groceries.

A store of this type has to rely heavily on its location because after all, it is basically a variety of a 'convenience' store.

^^ I agree the location and signage are both serious issues. I went to 18 Seaboard to meet some folks for lunch the other day, and had no idea that we were right beside the grocery store. Who could possibly know? I usually stop at Whole Foods on my way home, but will make an effort to support the downtown shop when I can. Do they have organic stuff, or just regular groceries?

Agree too that it would be good to have them within walking distance of the office towers. I'd for sure go there for lunch more often, but I have to drive from Two Hannover to get there.

Edited by urbanesq

^^ I agree the location and signage are both serious issues. I went to 18 Seaboard to meet some folks for lunch the other day, and had no idea that we were right beside the grocery store. Who could possibly know? I usually stop at Whole Foods on my way home, but will make an effort to support the downtown shop when I can. Do they have organic stuff, or just regular groceries?

Agree too that it would be good to have them within walking distance of the office towers. I'd for sure go there for lunch more often, but I have to drive from Two Hannover to get there.

They have some organic stuff like Morning Star (I know Morning Star is owned by Kellogg's), an end cap with cereals, some organic greens, some Amy's products and Second Generation paper products. .

Edited by Jones133