GUANGZHOU Grit & Old District

hkskyline

I've been going through my old photos to see if I missed anything on the first try, and I realize a lot of my Guangzhou photos were never publicized. I've revamped my Guangzhou gallery on my website, and have gone through one day's worth of photos. Here are some from the older parts of this Cantonese-speaking Chinese city.

More Photos : http://www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery/guangzhou.htm

guangzhou-sat.jpg

Guangzhou was a major port for Sino-European trade. It was also the city that started the British colonization of Hong Kong. The anti-optium movement that started here caused two wars between China and England, which resulted in the birth of the Crown Colony of Hong Kong.

1. A typical old building

RIMG1341.jpg

RIMG1373.jpg

RIMG1375.jpg

RIMG1374.jpg

RIMG1386.jpg

RIMG1457.jpg

RIMG1464.jpg

RIMG1469.jpg

RIMG1485.jpg

RIMG1474.jpg

RIMG1487.jpg

RIMG1486.jpg

RIMG1491.jpg

14. A lot of these buildings look really old ... to the point where they might fall apart at the next typhoon.

RIMG1498.jpg

15. The pressure to raze and redevelop ...

RIMG1503.jpg

RIMG1510.jpg

RIMG1513.jpg

18. Notice that some redevelopment projects have already taken place.

RIMG1331.jpg

19. I posted this photo of a church in the Guess the City section.

RIMG1527.jpg

RIMG1537.jpg

21. Annoying smog

RIMG1338.jpg

22. Pearl River Waterfront

RIMG1516.jpg

RIMG1368.jpg

RIMG1351.jpg

25. Some interesting non-Chinese style buildings

RIMG1359.jpg

RIMG1362.jpg

RIMG1364.jpg

How to get there?

For the non-Chinese speaking tourists, Guangzhou is connected to Hong Kong by KCR's cross-boundary rail service (3 hours). China Southern also operates many flights a day between the two cities, flying into the brand new Baiyun Airport. In fact, some Hong Kong tour groups are now using China Southern for their European trips via Guangzhou.

For Chinese-speaking tourists, there are several companies that offer bus and hotel packages. The best hotel in the city is the White Swan in Shamian district, but I prefer the Furama because it is right in the heart of the old city.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's so weird, seeing a Gothic cathedral in the middle of China.  I'm guessing it got built there from British influences?  And I hope some of those nasty buildings can get redeveloped into decent and clean living areas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sacred Heart Cathedral is a typical French construction built in 1863 and completed in 1888.

Covering a total area of 2,754 square meters and rising as high as 58.5 meters from the pedestal to the top of the tower, this huge Gothic granite building is the largest of its kind in China. To the west of the stone tower is a large clock and to the east is a bell tower, which is home to a gigantic copper bell shipped in from France. The cathedral windows and doors were once decorated with colorful French panes although only a few of these remain today.

Source : http://www.chinats.com/guangzhou/guangzhou667.htm

Some parts of the old district have been restored, such as the Shangxia Jiu Road shopping area :

RIMG1403.jpg

RIMG1394.jpg

RIMG1409.jpg

RIMG1415.jpg

RIMG1420.jpg

RIMG1442.jpg

RIMG1426.jpg

Archived