1. 1. Which skyline do you prefer?

• Miami
    • Atlanta

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

Atlanta.

Miami is an excellent city, one of my favorites actually. But Atlanta just has the corporate presence, growth potential, and skyline to edge it over Miami.

But you know, I'd love to people able to share residences between both :)

Guest donaltopablo

Both skylines are awesome. They aren't comparible.

They really aren't comparible. I almost find Miami and Atlanta compliment each other more than I feel like they compete.

Guest donaltopablo

What exactly did you mean by growth potential, donaltopablo?

Future skyscrapers, population, business growth. Not to say Miami doesn't have any of these, but Atlanta has a better opportunity to continue to be a "boom" town with low cost of living and available land.

That's what I thought you meant

1. Skyscrapers:

Atlanta:

completed: 184

construction: 9

approved: 2

proposed: 19

never built: 10

demolished: 7

Miami:

completed: 163

construction: 21

approved: 18

proposed: 37

never built: 0

demolished: 7

As you can see, Miami is much more of a "'boom' town" at this point. Along with San Diego, New York, and Toronto, Miami leads the way in highrise boom in North America.

After Florida's tallest skyscraper was topped off, another even taller has started contruction.

2. Population:

The only place where Atlanta is growing by double digit percentage is

in exurbs, even farther away than the suburbs. I'm not sure how that

helps Atlanta's downtown.

3. Business Growth:

I'm pretty much not aware of this, but I doubt Atlanta has more

business growth.

You also mentined that Atlanta hes more availabe land. Well, the less available land there is, the taller the buildings will be, right? That's what has made NYC's skyline so impresive.

Lets not mention Miami's more creative architecture and superior placement.

So I don't know why you would say that Atlanta has more growth potential than Miami

Guest donaltopablo

Lets not mention Miami's more creative architecture and superior placement.
That's certainly a matter of opinion. In terms of perference, I much prefer Atlanta's buildings (and heigh advantage). But that's just me, not everyone is going to agree and I don't expect them too.

So I don't know why you would say that Atlanta has more growth potential than Miami

I'd say it very easily. Atlanta certainly doesn't lead Miami in all of the categories listed or in every way.

1. Much as Atlanta's construction of late hasn't been skyscrapers, but smaller, in fill development, something the city desperately needs. But in fill development in the city will lead to future skyscrapers as land disappears.

2. Population growth - Atlanta's city is returning to growth after decades of not seeing it. The locations are different, but this will probably still lead Atlanta to further growth Miami could not see. Population in the burbs can still lead in the growth in the city, including skyscrapers. Many of those people living in the burbs, work in Buckhead, Midtown, and Downtown.

3. Tops in job growth, nearly double second place, even at the end of an economic downturn is a good sign of Atlanta's strength to continue to grow.

If you take all of the factors, Atlanta has a lot of potential.

But they are very different cities, as has been mentioned. Atlanta not going to see double digit growth in the city of the core 5 counties. It's going to grow in the burbs and slowly grow in the city and inner county through redevelopment. That's just the type of city Atlanta is.

So I agree Miami is growing (and booming with tower construction) and would never debate that. However, Atlanta certainly is a "boom town" in terms of rapidly changing, high business and job growth, high population growth.

That's certainly a matter of opinion. In terms of perference, I much prefer Atlanta's buildings (and heigh advantage). But that's just me, not everyone is going to agree and I don't expect them too.

I'd say it very easily. Atlanta certainly doesn't lead Miami in all of the categories listed or in every way.

1. Much as Atlanta's construction of late hasn't been skyscrapers, but smaller, in fill development, something the city desperately needs. But in fill development in the city will lead to future skyscrapers as land disappears.

2. Population growth - Atlanta's city is returning to growth after decades of not seeing it. The locations are different, but this will probably still lead Atlanta to further growth Miami could not see. Population in the burbs can still lead in the growth in the city, including skyscrapers. Many of those people living in the burbs, work in Buckhead, Midtown, and Downtown.

3. Tops in job growth, nearly double second place, even at the end of an economic downturn is a good sign of Atlanta's strength to continue to grow.

If you take all of the factors, Atlanta has a lot of potential.

But they are very different cities, as has been mentioned. Atlanta not going to see double digit growth in the city of the core 5 counties. It's going to grow in the burbs and slowly grow in the city and inner county through redevelopment. That's just the type of city Atlanta is.

So I agree Miami is growing (and booming with tower construction) and would never debate that. However, Atlanta certainly is a "boom town" in terms of rapidly changing, high business and job growth, high population growth.

I really hadn't thought about all that. Good for Atlanta!

Guest donaltopablo

I think that Miami is doing a better job with mass transit these days. In the long run that will lead to more infill and denser development.

Absolutely. Miami's transit plan seems one of the strongest in the country and the plan to run it 24 hours is really something I think puts it on the stage with a very select few countries in the world. A lot of cities talk about being 24 hours cities (including Atlanta), but I think to be a true 24 city, you need 24 hour mass transit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't remember what I originally voted for, but I'd have to say Miami. Atlanta doesn't have the waterfront. And Miami's gigantic construction boom is causing more and more skyscrapers to rise. I don't see nearly the number of developments that Miami is having in Atlanta. Finally, Miami has Atlanta beat in the mass transit category.

Guest donaltopablo

Unless Atlanta gets an ocean, I have to go with Miami. I'm also impressed with Miami's possible plans to tear down 395, and it's transit plans.

LOL! Knowing Atlanta, we're working on it. I think the only reason we don't have an ocean yet is they are worried to it will take away available land for the airport.

Miami transit plans are very impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked Miami because it has a lot of unique attributes. It has a sigificantly higher proportion of immigrants, particularly of hispanic origin. It has a significantly higher international presence on the street - not just in business from what I understand.

Plus the density thing. Miami has condo towers going up everywhere and it is not surrounded by the old south as is the case with Atlanta.

I don't like the traditional southern surroudings of Atlanta - Atlanta is in the middle of the south, its like an island in that respect.

Maybe this is why I've never liked Atlanta much, it just doesn't stand out for that reason.

Neither city has a strong downtown relative to it's metro population, but from what I've read, Miami seems more intent on building a strong downtown going forward in the immediate future than Atlanta. Most of Atlanta's exciting urban projects seem to be in Midtown or other areas. Miami, if I'm not mistaken, is also 60% foreign-born in the city, and something like 40% in the metro. To me, a high foreign-born population is one of the most important aspects of a city.

Archived