Which skyline do you prefer?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which skyline do you prefer?

• Miami
    • Atlanta

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but it still makes more sense to compare the two instead of comparing Miami to Atlanta. Just because Atlanta has skyscrapers, it still doesn't put it in the category of comparison to Miami, who has so much more than just skycrapers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maybe it does maybe it doesn't? ok thats just not logical. LA beats out Miami in every category hands down. sorry

Having lived in ATL for my childhood, I have a speciall affinity for my city and it will always be number 1 to me. But several factors that IMO make if difficult for ATL to compete with MIA...

1. Waterfront: Granted, ATL has made up for this shortcoming by being a leader in Air travel and rail distribution, but there is no substitute for having a body of water for the movement of goods and the beautiful vistas it provides.

2. Lack of density: I don't know why density is a measure of a cities greatness, but if it is then so be it. I love the fact that my home sits on .75 acres of land w/trees and five miles away from the city center. I know ATL skycrapers aren't as densly packed together as other cities (ATL follows Peachtree St for the most part) but I believe this linear design is great b/c it allows every skyscapers to be seen emerging from the trees.

3. Racial stigma: I'm not fimiliar with MIA struggles, but ATL has always been a place rife w/ racial grief. Wanna know why ATL metro area is spread across 14 counties? It's due to white flight. Why doesn't ATL transit system go anywhere? B/C of the mistaken belief that transit would bring the very crime whites were fleeing by leaving the city. This stigma has only recently begun to change (1996?) but its affects are lasting.

4. Growth/Expansion: The south in general is experiencing an financial boom, but are these cities infrastructure capable of handling that growth? I would definately say MIA is more than equipped. The city's planned expansion of its public transportation is impressive and has a small but growing commuter rail system. MIA (the airport) is a wouldful facitlity and is supported by useful satellites. Plus its surface streets and expressways efficiently moves its denizens thru the city.

ATL has one metro airport in the heart of the city. Great for travelers but it has little room for expansion (we are building a 5th runway over I-285) Its central location is a inconvience for those who already live 2+ hr away from the city. The chances of building a 2nd airport are also remote (Dobbins AFB, which will like close due to BRAC would be an ideal location, but I know Cobbites would NIMBY up in a heartbeat) thus leaving only one way out of the city by air. Public transit in the city is woefully indignent (see #3) and shows no sign of improving, which is problematic as many area businesses are relocating within the city limits. The city's expressways are anything but, choked with traffic on a daily basis. Unless a major effort is put forth to improve transportation (other than adding more lanes) people/companies will eventually move to other areas that are willing to accomadate the growing demands.

5. Desitnation: ATL will never be able to compete with MIA in this aspect (see #1) but people don't visit ATL, they move there, as thus is more of the focus.

As a side note I has question? Why is ATL defined by such a small context in comparision to other cities? With considering the size of other cities (MIA, HOU, DAL) most seem willing to emcompass the suburban population that is associated with the city proper, save ATL? While ATL true city limits are relatively small, think any resident would save that ATL proper is everything inside of the Perimeter (I-285). Just curious.

Actually, Miami skyline is linear along the coast too.

Atlanta airport expansions cant handle A380, I guess people will have to stop in OIA and transfer to Atlanta then... :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Airport expansions? The airport is already one of the largest in terms of size of any airport in the world.

Actually, Miami skyline is linear along the coast too.

Atlanta airport expansions cant handle A380, I guess people will have to stop in OIA and transfer to Atlanta then... :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sunshine where are you getting your info about ATL's airport? it has a 12K foot runway. Are you reffering to the gates? ATL is also opening a new INT'L Terminal which would also be able to accomadate the A380 (which IMO won't be a successful aircraft anyway)

I dont know about you people but Miami is the BEST city in the South(for me).I have gone to other cities around the south but none have beat Miami's position.Miami has almost everything (except subways).You want women? theyre her.You want buildings? theyre here.You want beautiful beaches? romantic places?

great houses? traffic jams?its all here.Miami is like any other city except that maybe its like a city in Latin America because theres so many hispanics(inlcluding me).

From Orlando Sentinel Jan 2005

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"-------------

The A380 weighs 1.2 million pounds -- far more than the plane's closest competitor, the 875,000-pound Boeing 747.

Officials at San Francisco International say they don't need to spend a dime on upgrades.

"We can handle one today," spokesman Michael McCarron said. The airport opened a new terminal four years ago with double bridges at its gates, he said.

But some major airports will not be getting A380 service, at least not soon.

Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson airport is undergoing a $6 billion expansion to accommodate more traffic, but it won't be able to handle the A380, spokeswoman Felicia Browder said. Atlanta has nonstop service to Europe, but no carriers have plans to use the new plane on those routes, she said. ..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here you go.......vandiver49

Whatever you want to call it, but the facts are facts.
You know Atlanta's airport handles more passengers than those three airports put together. Having 3 airports to 1 at that point only becomes a matter of having an airport at a location closer to you.

Well Delta is in more financial trouble and metro Miami does have three airports instead of one, despite not having the more centralized location that Atlanta does.

You should read what Delta is doing then. Part of Deltas financial recovery plan is to expand in Atlanta. Also, despite being in financial trouble, Delta is one of the few major airlines that has not gone into bankruptcy.

Not that any of this makes Miami or Atlanta better. You just used the term 'facts' and those facts seem rather misguided.

Also, despite being in financial trouble, Delta is one of the few major airlines that has not gone into bankruptcy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

give them time :P. i seriously hope they start to see an upturn though. my future as a commerical pilot is looking dimmer and dimmer. haha

give them time  :P. i seriously hope they start to see an upturn though. my future as a commerical pilot is looking dimmer and dimmer. haha

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If there plan to turn the airline around doesn't work, they most certainly could be there.

How much longer do you have until your done with school to become a pilot? Travel is going back up, the demand will be there. It just might be making less money for a discount airliner by then. Good luck.

If there plan to turn the airline around doesn't work, they most certainly could be there.

How much longer do you have until your done with school to become a pilot?  Travel is going back up, the demand will be there.  It just might be making less money for a discount airliner by then.  Good luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well i started several years ago at middle tennessee state university. my freshman year i kinda partied way too hard and ended up not going to class. so i transfered to a community college to get my gpa back. well i've done well there, but it's so hard to get back into mtsu now because it has exploded with new people coming in. it's getting close to 30,000 people now and it definatly can't handle it. plus the aviation department just got around 30 new planes, so that department is getting even harder to get into with all of the people wanting to transfer there. i am confident that the airlines will eventually pick themselves up. there is no way that this country could survive without air travel. demand is simply going to be too high. btw hartsfield intl is huge!

The truth is that he is right, Atl Hartsfield-Jackson Intl Airport will not accommodate the A380, mostly because it is already going through huge expansions now, and the money needed to make ADDITIONAL expansions to accommodate it just isn't there after the current expansions. This doesn't mean anything about Atlanta's airport because it is still the busiest in the World, and one of the largest in the world. Even if it is extremly successful, the benefits just aren't worth the cost for Atl.

I believe Atlanta has the third highest crime rate in the nation -- and that's with the city cooking the books, so to speak.

Gotta love it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honestly, this is on of those stats that is just impossible to believe. You seriously believe that ATL has more crime than NY, BOS, DC, LA, CHI, BAL, DET, HOU, DAL, MIA?

Last time I checked the TV there wasn't a CSI: ATL...

The only reason the bodies are found is b/c there isn't a decent body of water to dump them in.

Archived