Which skyline do you prefer?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which skyline do you prefer?

• Miami
    • Atlanta

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am new to the forum, but I would just like to say that Atlanta is a very nice city to me and I do plan on moving there, but I do not think it has any comparison to Miami other than the fact that they both have skyscrapers. Their cultures are completely different.

Even though Miami is located geographically in the South, the culture of Miami is not Southern or "country" like Georgia.

Miami is for vacationers, and people who are retiring. Atlanta is the mecca for big business. It has the better and bigger airport. It also has more HQ's. Atlanta's skyline is way better than Miami's, simple as that. Only thing you ever here about Miami is people going for spring break or a vacation.

^Wow, I think you need to take a tour around Miami, home of the South's largest financial district. One thing that cleary favors Miami, is density. Even several of Miami's suburbs, have population density numbers that Atlanta, even in its core, can't even dream about.

Atlanta may have a larger airport, but metro Miami has three airports, three seaports and two large cruise ports. Its also the home of the largest skyscraper construction boom, outside of NYC.

Another than Miami has over Atlanta is an urban downtown, where residents still go to shop. Downtown Miami, is also the home to one of the largest jewelry districts in the country.

Atlanta is doing a lot of things right, but it could really take some lessons on urbanity, from her big brother in the South.

The identity of Miami in terms of culture, architecture, people, etc, is clearly identifiable to me, similar to cities like NYC, LA, Boston, New Orleans, etc. Atlanta, not so much.

To be frank, Atlanta is not in the same league as Miami. Probably never will be. Miami just has way too many advantages of Atlanta.

I am all for Miami, but since when Miami has a vibrant downtown? Last time I was there the vibrant area is still Miami Beach and the only busy part of downtown Miami is the Bayside.

Downtown Atlanta is nice but judging by skyline, one would expect the downtown area would be a lot more busier than it is.

Based on all the development news I read in the forum, Miami is definitely working very hard to beef up retails in downtown, while Atlanta development is more focus on Buckhead area.

Advantage Atlanta have over Miami is that Georgia Tech is located in downtown, this brings extra 40 to 50K young people in the downtown population. Atlanta needs to take this advantage to develop trendy shops for the students.

Another advantage is that Atlanta doesnt have a nearby trendy urban center to compete with it while downtown Miami needs to compete with South Beach.

I would choose Miami over Atlanta anytime because of South Beach and the weather. Where do people in Atlanta go to sunbath in a speedo without being point by strangers? LOL

I am all for Miami, but since when Miami has a vibrant downtown? Last time I was there the vibrant area is still Miami Beach and the only busy part of downtown Miami is the Bayside.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I visited last month, I found downtown Miami to be a very vibrant retail center. Its anchored by Bayside retail center and a flagship Burdines-Macys on Flager Street. All the streets in between, are littered with specialty shops and ethnic restaurants. Its by far, the most retail oriented downtown, in Florida, outside of Miami Beach. Here's a few of my downtown Miami pics, from last month.

baysidemarketplace0lr.jpg

flagler18ks.jpg

olympiatheater6bn.jpg

Lakelander, yes Miami is Southern, but I still say that the culture is not. Have you ever heard someone from Miami speak with a deep Southern drawl. Maybe an extremely small percentage do, but Miami is still a world away different than Atlanta. Miami is always talked about more so than Atlanta. People make movies and shows there (i.e. Miami Vice, Bad Boys, etc., etc.). Like I said both have spectacular skylines, but Miami's skyline beats Atlanta's.

Lakelander, yes Miami is Southern, but I still say that the culture is not. Have you ever heard someone from Miami speak with a deep Southern drawl. Maybe an extremely small percentage do, but Miami is still a world away different than Atlanta. Miami is always talked about more so than Atlanta. People make movies and shows there (i.e. Miami Vice, Bad Boys, etc., etc.). Like I said both have spectacular skylines, but Miami's skyline beats Atlanta's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh maybe Miami is havign a big construction boom, but at this point in time Miami's skyline doesn't come close to Atlanta. I do agree that Miami is talked about more and Miami is denser.

Well lets compare skylines, and only skylines. From travels and doing photoshots in both cities, I can say that Miami's appears to be larger, in addtion to having its own unique architectural style and much larger construction boom. The waterfront and colorful bridges also add to the overall quality of Miami's skyline. In your opinion, what makes Atlanta's so much more superior than Miami's?

Well Miami's skyline seems to be a series of islands with small residential towers scattered everywhere with a small dense dowtown section with a few pretty tall buildings whereas Atlanta seems to be a cluster of large towers and smaller towers filling in the rest of the areas (with a few parts of the city that dont have this and sortof look like holes, I'll admit) Atlanta also lights up very well at night. Miami's skyline has the illusion that it is really large because it is so long but it really isn;t all that big. But anyways its all a matter of opinion. Miami is definetly booming with construction.

Atlanta also lights up very well at night. Miami's skyline has the illusion that it is really large because it is so long but it really isn;t all that big. But anyways its all a matter of opinion. Miami is definetly booming with construction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you seen Miami's skyline at night?

I'd put our skyline up against anybody when it comes to lit up at night.

Why are we comparing Miami to Atlanta, doesn't it make more sense to compare Miami with LA. They both have an enormous Latino population and are also the haven for lots of stars and wealthy people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whats to compare? Sure they may have some similarities but L.A. beats out Miami in every single category y a long run. (except for consturction boom maybe)

Archived