Miami vs. Atlanta

daniel18

Which skyline do you prefer?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which skyline do you prefer?

• Miami
    • Atlanta

Well I like both cities, and even though I have a strange fondness for Atlanta, Miami does take the cake. Now, if it were not in a Tropical location the city wouldnt be that inviting for me. I find many Miamians very rude and that to me is VERY annoying. Last time I was down there I was about run over by this fat ass Cuban guy who didnt even say excuse me or anything, so I called him a fat Fu*ker...he didnt like that but I didnt care. Other than that Miami is wonderful. Atlanta has its share of rude people too but not quite as many as SoFla. I like Atlantas skyline and rolling geography, But Miami's density and individual architecture is superior, IMO. One of these days I WILL have a beautiful home in Coral Gables....the most beautiful area of the USA, IMO.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I like both cities, and even though I have a strange fondness for Atlanta, Miami does take the cake.  Now, if it were not in a Tropical location the city wouldnt be that inviting for me.  I find many Miamians very rude and  that to me is VERY annoying.  Last time I was down there I was about run over by this fat ass Cuban guy who didnt even say excuse me or anything, so I called him a fat Fu*ker...he didnt like that but I didnt care.  Other than that Miami is wonderful.  Atlanta has its share of rude people too but not quite as many as SoFla.  I like Atlantas skyline and rolling geography, But Miami's density and individual architecture is superior, IMO.  One of these days I WILL have a beautiful home in Coral Gables....the most beautiful area of the USA, IMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This begs the question: In calling the Cuban a fat Fu*ker, do you count yourself amongst the rude people living there. I am sure comments such as that are not to be found in Emily Post's guide for etiquette for polite company. <_<

It's funny that people argue about things that have actual, easy to find answers.

So here they are. From table 6 for MSAs 2003 @ http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/03cius.htm

-- Violent Crimes/Rate per 100k -- Murders/Rate per 100k

NOLA -- 8,712/660.4 -- 336/25.5

SanJua -- 9,569/374.6 -- 616/24.1

Balt -- 23,190/883.0 -- 341/13.0

Detriot -- 30,229/672.2 -- 449/10.0

Phnx -- 18,132/506.5 -- 329/9.2

DC -- 24,683/487.1 -- 461/9.1

LosAngl -- 92,890/721.3 -- 1,118/8.7

Atlanta -- 23,551/512.5 -- 399/8.7

Houston -- 37,397/738.5 -- 407/8.0

Dallas -- 32,413/582.0 -- 384/6.9

Miami -- 43,323/813.1 -- 333/6.3

NYC -- 90,184/483.3 -- 967/5.2

Boston -- 19,853/445.8 -- 86/1.9

Chicago -- ????????? -- ????

Honestly, this is on of those stats that is just impossible to believe.  You seriously believe that ATL has more crime than NY, BOS, DC, LA, CHI, BAL, DET, HOU, DAL, MIA?

Last time I checked the TV there wasn't a CSI: ATL...

The only reason the bodies are found is b/c there isn't a decent body of water to dump them in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the dumbest s**t ive heard maybe u havent figured it out but CSI isnt realistic all the cities in it are popular cities in case u didnt know.

This begs the question:  In calling the Cuban a fat Fu*ker, do you count yourself amongst the rude people living there.  I am sure comments such as that are not to be found in Emily Post's guide for etiquette for polite company.    <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldnt have said anything if he wouldnt have stepped on me without even saying excuse me or anything like that. Maybe he needed someone to say something to him.

:thumbsup:

Just to be fair, same cities ranked by violent crime rate.

This was pretty random sampe of metros, so don't take the list as being definitive.

-- Violent Crimes/Rate per 100k -- Murders/Rate per 100k

Balt -- 23,190/883.0 -- 341/13.0

Miami -- 43,323/813.1 -- 333/6.3

Houston -- 37,397/738.5 -- 407/8.0

LosAngl -- 92,890/721.3 -- 1,118/8.7

Detriot -- 30,229/672.2 -- 449/10.0

NOLA -- 8,712/660.4 -- 336/25.5

Dallas -- 32,413/582.0 -- 384/6.9

Atlanta -- 23,551/512.5 -- 399/8.7

Phnx -- 18,132/506.5 -- 329/9.2

SanJua -- 9,569/374.6 -- 616/24.1

DC -- 24,683/487.1 -- 461/9.1

NYC -- 90,184/483.3 -- 967/5.2

Boston -- 19,853/445.8 -- 86/1.9

Chicago -- ????????? -- ????

I have visited both cities alot and I like both cities. I have family in both cities and I have lived in MIA. I would have to give the edge to Miami and the rest of the metro areas in Florida b/c they just have a more laid-back, relaxing feel to them than the ATL. The ATL also has a number of good looking women but its mainly limited to white and black women. But from my experience, there aren't many cities outside of Florida that can compete with the sheer number of good looking women of all races in the major cities of Florida.

I'm hating it right now living in Phoenix b/c the women here don't come anywhere close to the women I seen in MIA and Jacksonville. The women here look okay, but that's about it. Plus there are more women than men in those two areas than there is in Phoenix so that also hurts. Man, I wish I was back in Florida. One of these days.

Miami.

I was just there this morning. I like the courthouse better than the one in Fulton. Anyway, in terms purely of skyline, I think Miami not only has more interest in the skyline in terms of a greater number of individually intriguing buildings, it has much better views of said skyline, from the various islands off the coast. The Freedom Tower has been rehabbed, I noticed, and I do hope that developers allow it to dominate its own little area for a while, don't put any enormous towers right in front of or beside it. We'll see. The entire city is a sea of cranes, most of them working on towers that will be 40+.

Miami has neighborhoods, like Coral Gables, the Grove, etc., much like Atlanta's Buckhead et al, with their own smaller skylines. I'm not really considering those outer areas, although I suppose one could.

That said and with my vote counted, I want to stab myself every time I have to drive through that bloody mess of a downtown. Lewis Grizzard would turn over in his grave if he heard this, but Miami actually has MORE road construction these days than Atlanta does, and that, friends, is saying something. It's an absolute disaster. The folks buying those downtown condominiums are definitely going to walk everywhere because they won't have a choice; every road is or will soon be narrowed to one lane and torn up for repaving. The stuff of nightmares. At least the street-level retail is on par with Manhattan or Laredo.

But.. to continue another topic, I ALSO want to stab myself every time I have to change planes at Hartsfield. Why on Earth is anyone from Atlanta proud of that airport? It is probably the closest thing to Hell any of us will experience while still on Earth. The fact that you can get to anywhere from Hartsfield is meaningless if you'll do anything to avoid Hartsfield.

Miami International, on the other hand, has the charming distinction of being the only airport wherein I've actually been bitten by a goat. In the terminal. No, really, I'm not making this up. If it was in the parking garage, I mean, that would be one thing, but this was in the terminal. This was back in 1999 when airport security was shall we say somewhat more lax.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

That's what I thought you meant

1. Skyscrapers:

Atlanta:

completed: 184

construction: 9

approved: 2

proposed: 19

never built: 10

demolished: 7

Miami:

completed: 163

construction: 21

approved: 18

proposed: 37

never built: 0

demolished: 7

As you can see, Miami is much more of a "'boom' town" at this point. Along with San Diego, New York, and Toronto, Miami leads the way in highrise boom in North America.

After Florida's tallest skyscraper was topped off, another even taller has started contruction.

Whoah! Those numbers came from ancient scrolls.

A recession will hit Atlanta just as hard as Miami, if not worse. Flippers are red hearings. The real question is where are the end users. So far they've all been here. They wouldn't keep building these if they weren't.

There's no more room to sprawl, Miami remains as hot as ever. Unless we wan't properties vaules to reach California levels, then we'll have to build up. That's exactly what is going on.

CSI:ATL :rofl:

Thats another reason they never had a Real World Atlanta,..

Yeah its a sprawling city, yeah its nice to live in,.. but apart from a few night clubs and theme parks,. its just not a sexy, and have that flare that a city like NYC, Miami, Chicago, LA, New Orleans, etc.. When you hear the name of such cities, it brings to mind the culture, spice, people and the ambiance of their urban settings.

Archived