News on the Ivanhoe, 801 N. Orange?

stevecrew0518

I'm still trying to figure it out myself, I got the quote and the picture in an e-mail.  Supposedly there is an even newer rendering then this one.

In Orlando development terms I think it means "We have a rendering and a great idea but are not sure when the construction will begin". I actually think we have a lot of projects that fall in this category. Maybe I am just a little anxious to see some more cranes and vertical construction....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks guys for the input. I totally agree with you dan.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Last i heard was that the Ivanhoe Apartments were to break ground in October and that the North Orange had to go back to the City Planning Board due to the 33 story redesign. I think it was heard at the last MPB meeting for master plan approval (9/20/05) and haven't heard anything yet.

Hey Dale........where are we going to park our helicopters now that the Ivanhoe Apartments scrapped the Helipads on the roof as well as the visors? Monarch maybe?

I want them to slice a bit off the dome of City Hall so I can land there, pick up my good friend Mayor Buddy, and take him to lunch at Beefy King. :)

• 1 month later...

A laundramart, pack & ship and a coffee shop wont do much to it.

A Crate&barrel, B&N and an Express might change it.

While those large brick and mortar stores would be great assets to downtown, I think asking for them to pop up in a project such as 801 North Orange at this point in Downtown Orlando's adolescence is a bit premature. Right now downtown lacks many services that are necessary to sustain life in a neighborhood that wishes to discourage the necessity of automobiles. Residents should be able to walk or hop on a bus to their local pharmacy, video rental, coffee shop, dry cleaner, post office, etc. Without these businesses nearby, denizens of downtown will still need to leave the city to find what they need.

Big box stores like Crate & Barrel, Barnes and Noble, and Express should be popping up in some of the larger mixed-use developments, but I don't think they are necessary right now. Let's get those services we need downtown and gradually work our way up to the big retail chains. Besides, for an urban development forum that likes to shun the idea of suburbs because they all look alike with their name-brand retail chain strip malls, is that what we want our downtown to turn into?

Archived