Our "International" Airports?

Hybrid0NE

I've always been confused by the "International" brand labeled on three of our state's major airports. Charleston, Greenville-Spartanburg and Myrtle Beach all include that brand in their airport name but offer no direct flights outside of the United States borders. I'm sure all "international" flights from SC are routed through Atlanta's Hartsfield or Charlotte-Douglas, which makes sense because our state is essentially centralized between the two airports. So can anyone offer any insight on the branding? Outside of saying that Atlanta is a city that is considered foreign to rest of the South and that makes the branding accurate. I could assume it was done by the respective cities to make their airports seem to have more status or clout but it remains misleading (to myself at least).

P.S. I hear Beaufort County International Airport is going to be up and running and ready to connect you to Atlanta within the next century.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been confused by the "International" brand labeled on three of our state's major airports. Charleston, Greenville-Spartanburg and Myrtle Beach all include that brand in their airport name but offer no direct flights outside of the United States borders. I'm sure all "international" flights from SC are routed through Atlanta's Hartsfield or Charlotte-Douglas, which makes sense because our state is essentially centralized between the two airports. So can anyone offer any insight on the branding? Outside of saying that Atlanta is a city that is considered foreign to rest of the South and that makes the branding accurate. I could assume it was done by the respective cities to make their airports seem to have more status or clout but it remains misleading (to myself at least).

P.S. I hear Beaufort County International Airport is going to be up and running and ready to connect you to Atlanta within the next century.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I know that Charleston and Myrtle Beach actually bring in international flights coming directly from across the Atlantic. Some flights land there if Atlanta or Charlotte are too congested or if there is bad weather further inland. There are not enough constant flights into those airports that warrant a direct booking (like Charleston to Paris, for example), but they do receive a few landings from international flights.

I have no idea about Beaufort's International Airport. They couldn't bring in any traffic with Charleston and Savannah airports being so close to it, IMO.

Not to be a nerd or anything, but I have the answer to the "International" brand question. The reason they are called International Airports is because they have Federal Inspection Stations for international flights. Although they are never manned, or they are but not regularly, just when there is an international flight. I believe that GSP gets some international cargo flights because of BMW. Charleston gets international cargo flights. I don't believe they have to be international passenger flights for it to be an international airport. Myrtle Beach gets seasonal international flights as well. So they are, contrary to popular belief, "International Airports". I guess a few international flights are enough to brand it international, who knows lol. It is a marketing scheme as well, what airline would want to fly out of Greenville-Spartanburg Jetport?

Being labeled "International airport" means nothing. I once was vacationing in New Orleans. A friend and I drove to Biloxi Mississippi to go sky-diving. The drop zone was at the "Trent Lott International Airport". Let's just say that the Florence City-County airport looks like Atlanta's airport next to the "Trent Lott International Airport". In fact it is very comparable to the crop duster airport in Timmonsville SC, population 2,000.

according to this document here

there are three "International" designated airports in SC.. Charleston, GSP, and Columbia. This same documents also states that there are some "uinofficial" international airports (ie airports who just put the word international in their name). Apparently, there is no law preventing this.

Archived