Dollywood coming to Nashville?

linclink

Just found this and thought I'd get some opinions:

Dolly Parton talks of possible theme park in Nashville

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 9:37 AM ET | contributed by Raptor Pilot

Dolly Parton, who marked the 20th anniversary of her Smoky Mountain amusement park Friday, told the crowd: "They don't have a theme park there (Nashville) now and someone will have eventually, and we are looking to that possibility."

http://www.tennessean.com/local/columnists...ent_ID=67892841

Paula

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well,

I think Dolly is a very smart cookie... think about it... SOMEONE is going to build a theme park in Nashville. If it is another company, the money she loses in Pigeon Forge (it's inevitable, she will lose some people to the Nashville market, though I don't think it will be too much, since so many people vacation in Gatlinburg each year).... anyways.... if it's another company, the money she loses from the decline in the Dollywood attendance, will go into the other companies pockets.... BUT, if SHE opens a Dollywood in Nashville, the market she loses to Nashville, will go to her just the same.....

Of course, she will have to weigh the cost of building a new park, but I have a feeling it would be a better idea for her to own both parks, then for her to have to compete with another park. For all she knows someone could come into Nashville and build something twice as big and twice as cool as dollywood, and her loses could be HUGE.... May be better to do it herself... at least she'll know what she's up against...

I wouldn't really care if her name was on it or not. I wouldn't call her dumb...shes sold around 100 million records and her estimated net worth is between 300-500 million which makes her the richest entertainer in country music.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't have to be smart to have money...the owner of the Subway that I used to work at was a complete dumbass, but that didn't stop him from gettin' rich.

Dolly ain't that bad, I just don't think that she helps the image of The South/Tennessee too much. The only way that negative impressions or stereotypes will go away is if we get away from this "howyedoooin?" hick image that some of the entertainers portray...New Country is doing this somewhat, but unfortunately New Country sucks.

I love being a southerner, I love southern things, but some things are bad for our image...Dolly is one of them imo.

I think Nashville is a little too close to Pidgeon Forge to build a second theme park.  But it would be great for that city!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pidgeon Forge is about 3 1/2-4 hours away...it's closer for us to go to Louisville's Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom.

i doubt a park would be built within davidson county. there isn't that much room for one. i could see one going up in gladeville though close to the superspeedway. this would be the perfect location in my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a lot of room in Davidson county...there just isn't access built for it. A new region would have to be developed to suit a themepark. It can be done, but I doubt it would be.

You don't have to be smart to have money...the owner of the Subway that I used to work at was a complete dumbass, but that didn't stop him from gettin' rich.

Dolly ain't that bad, I just don't think that she helps the image of The South/Tennessee too much.  The only way that negative impressions or stereotypes will go away is if we get away from this "howyedoooin?" hick image that some of the entertainers portray...New Country is doing this somewhat, but unfortunately New Country sucks.

I love being a southerner, I love southern things, but some things are bad for our image...Dolly is one of them imo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the "hickish" thing about the South is the concern over such images.

It shows a lack of sophistication in my opinion.

I totally agree. I think trying to change to apease the rest of the nation is silly. BTW when i have visited the NJ beach the girls i met LOVED my southern accent. I LOVE Dolly i think shes awsome, i dont think she trys to be hows she is either. Shes REALLY from a country town.

You think losing Opryland was bad? Just let someone try to steal Dolly from us. I'll throw on the armor and fight for that one. She's one of our most widely known international celebs, people absolutely love her, and no one, no one with enough sense to matter to us or our well-being thinks she's a authentic dumb blonde. She's had way to much press to the contrary. And those hundreds of millions in her change purse is not a surprise to anyone. Her number one sales point. She's the real deal. And if I could get plastic surgery to make me look that good at nearly 60....you betcha!

If Dolly brings a park to Nashville, so be it.

Six Flags? A couple of hundred million bucks and the same old stuff.

Paramount? Ditto.

Anyone else? Ditto

Dollywood and her internationally known, uh, celebrity? Absolutely priceless.

What somebody from another state thinks about us just doesn't bother me. I get to live here. And that makes me very happy. I've said if before, there's lots of cool places out there, but this one fits me like a glove.

A Dollywood or similar park as an expression of the built in fame of Nashville and its most famous export would be enough to tickle the cockles of any mayor of any city anywhere. The music business here is mostly foreign owned anyway, at least the majors. The offices are full of MBAs and CPAs. But we can never forget those who make it happen, the writers and the creative men and women who come here from all over the world just looking for a chance.

Not many places can claim that. Cherish it. And bring me a Dollywood, Nashville checkbook could use it.

You think losing Opryland was bad? Just let someone try to steal Dolly from us. I'll throw on the armor and fight for that one. She's one of our most widely known international celebs, people absolutely love her, and no one, no one with enough sense to matter to us or our well-being thinks she's a authentic dumb blonde. She's had way to much press to the contrary. And those hundreds of millions in her change purse is not a surprise to anyone. Her number one sales point. She's the real deal. And if I could get plastic surgery to make me look that good at nearly 60....you betcha!

If Dolly brings a park to Nashville, so be it.

Six Flags? A couple of hundred million bucks and the same old stuff.

Paramount? Ditto.

Anyone else?  Ditto

Dollywood and her internationally known, uh, celebrity? Absolutely priceless.

What somebody from another state thinks about us just doesn't bother me. I get to live here. And that makes me very happy. I've said if before, there's lots of cool places out there, but this one fits me like a glove.

A Dollywood or similar park as an expression of the built in fame of Nashville and its most famous export would be enough to tickle the cockles of any mayor of any city anywhere. The music business here is mostly foreign owned anyway, at least the majors. The offices are full of MBAs and CPAs. But we can never forget those who make it happen, the writers and the creative men and women who come here from all over the world just looking for a chance.

Not many places can claim that. Cherish it. And bring me a Dollywood, Nashville checkbook could use it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'd rather see a purcell world, full of downtown urban renewal theme rides. ;) i do like dolly though. she has huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge........... :whistling: influences to get people to come to tennessee. :D

Like everyone says, she's a canny businesswoman. Aside from being a popular singer, within the music world she's probably known equally as a songwriter.

Nashville could certainly use the boost in tourism since Opryland closed down which was a mistake imho.

What was the reason for that anyway? Yes, I understand OpryMills was the replacement, but it's just a mall, correct? Never been there, and can't imagine a tourist from Minnesota taking time to visit OpryMills. Dollywood would pack 'em in though--these Norskes up here love the big-bosomed blondes. :lol:

I bet Dave knows this one--the Wildflowers album from 18 years ago with Parton, Emmylou Harris, and Linda Ronstadt. Plus some of her old stuff from 40 yr. ago with Porter Wagoner is classic.

What was the reason for that anyway?  Yes, I understand OpryMills was the replacement, but it's just a mall, correct?  Never been there, and can't imagine a tourist from Minnesota taking time to visit OpryMills. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

opry mills was a travesty. even the heads at gaylord (the people that own opryland) admit it was a mistake replacing the park with a big mall. yeah, like nashville needed another one of those :sick: maybe if we put a theme park inside the mall the people from minnesota would come. they seem to like those a lot. :D

I would like to see a Six Flags Over Tennessee - why don' they build that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there are too many close by to nashville. three are just a days drive away: atlanta, louisville and st. louis. and as ga tech said, they don't really have much money right now.

there are too many close by to nashville. three are just a days drive away: atlanta, louisville and st. louis. and as ga tech said, they don't really have much money right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, many Hendersonvillians have had season passes to Kentucky Kingdom since its just a little over 2 hours away.

I would like to see a Six Flags Over Tennessee - why don' they build that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I honestly don't see why everyone thinks Six Flags is so great. Their amusement parks are dirty, have rude employees, aren't themed, ect...

Now, if it was 1978, my opinion on Six Flags would be different. Back then they knew how to run an amusement park. Today, it is painful for me to go to Six Flags Over Georgia in Atlanta and see how much the place has slipped over the last few years.

I am all for Dolly building a park in Nashville. I think it would be kind of odd though, since the original Dollywood is less than 200 miles away, but anyway I'm sure she and the Silver Dollar City folks could do a great job.

Opryland was always so well-maintained. In its entire history, it always looked brand new. I think Dollywood is the same way. And that will make a difference.

I did notice how run down King's Island looked, but still had fun. It was okay, just not spit polished as Opryland was.

Yep, sleepy, my brushes with Dolly have been occasional. One of my most memorable was filling in for someone at a limo counter at the airport. Dolly had just returned from L.A. and said she'd been doing an album with Emmylou and Linda. Then, she asked if I minded if she waited for her husband at my counter. Well....

The highlight was when she stood there and sang parts of "Desperado" right to my poor, nervous, flushed little face. My knees were weak.

Working the airport in Nashville was a pretty incredible experience. Most of that was while I was in college in the 70s, but the chance meetings with everyone from Charlie Daniels to Conway Twitty to AC/DC, Kenny Loggins, Johnny and June Cash, my buddies Minnie Pearl and Jim Nabors, Tiny Tim, and even standing outside with Bob Dylan to smoke a cigarette on a cold, wet, rainy day....there were over 250 famous folks on my list when it was all said and done. I talked to a great many of them...little ol' shy me.

I love my Nashville history.

And it really hasn't stopped. Saturday night a buddy from Houston will be in town. Our contingent will be right there in Lorrie Morgan's dressing room...and, as usual, being asked to stand in the hall while she changes from her skin-tight ripped up jeans to something more "acceptable" for the stage.

Ahhhhhh, let the good times roll.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm all for a theme park. I think the idea of putting one where the stiener liff sight is was a great idea, but it didnt seem to go over well. I think that would be the ideal spot though. The Coliseum parking lot could double for the theme park and football games. This would fill out downtown hotels and bring the tourists right to the citys core and not out near Priest lake. Not to mention that sight makes me sick every time I look at it. It seems like loaction that prime would call for more than a scrap yard.

Nice words from Dave. I have met my share in the hotel business. Close to 1000 celebrities. I have worked CRS, GMA, The CMT awards, The Americana Music Festival and Awards, All of the Predators home opponets. The Titans opponents. Most rock bands that have come in like Nickleback, The Darkness, Frank Black from the Pixies, John Popper from Blues Traveller, Tom Morrello from Rage Against the Machine, Neil Peart of Rush, Elvis Costello, Weird Al Yankovic, Van Halen in their heydey and so many others. I even met Abbie Hoffman, Jeb Bush, Casper Weinberger, Jay Leno, Jimmy Swaggert! New Kids on the Block (1988) Judge Reinhold, and so many others. It is amazing who comes through Nashville.

Archived