Caf

Aessotariq

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm usually pretty busy on the weekends (I recently opened an art gallery, and I generally stay open after hours to help grow the business). But alas, I've decided to close up at 6:00 on Saturday, so I can take my wife out. We're on a budget so, I'm looking to enjoy our nite out on the town, and I need some ideas... got any?

I've been a few times, and I really like it. It has a very relaxed, upscale feel to it.

My former Portuguese professor got me involved in a local Brazilian book/creative writing/poetry club, which meets at Books & Books, a very cozy independent book store. After the meet is over, within walking distance there are tons of restaurants and shops for me to patronize.

Miracle Mile is a great setting for dining and meeting (but then so is all of downtown Coral Gables). I discovered during my last trip there that the whole corridor between Ponce de Leon Blvd and Le Jeune Rd is a WiFi hotspot, so there's free Internet access for anyone to use!

^^How is Miracle mile (or more generally, downtown Coral gables) at night? How lively is it? I've never been there in the evening and would really like to know!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My favorite bar in the area is in downtown Coral Gables. It's just simply called "The Bar" (formerly Hofbrau), and is located on Giralda. It is very relaxed, and has one of the best selections of draft beers I've ever seen (try the Kostritzer, its good :) ). The nightlife is spotty, but the establishments are all high quality. The nightlife for the area is drained a bit by the nearby South Miami business district, which sees a huge mixed crowd (a lot of teeny-boppers, but lots of college students/yuppies too).

Dinner and a Movie is a nice in South Miami if you don't mind some teeny boppers. It doesn't have the sophistication of Coral Gables, but there's plenty of places to eat and shop before catching a movie at Sunset. And it's not just Sunset Place. It's a walkable neighborhood with a lively atmosphere. The bad thing about South Miami is the transit access and crossing US1.

Miami's Best Pizza is cheap and pretty good. If it's still daylight, take a walk over to the Doc Thomas Audobon house.

If you're futher south, there's Big Cheese and Wall's Ice Cream. They make a great 1-2 combonation. Big Cheese is average, but the ice cream across the street is to die for. They have music friday nights.

If you're really poor, there's always the Florida City Wal-Mart. :thumbsup:

What I want is a nice place to walk. Almost every place I've lived has had a lake with walking path around it that you could use day and night (like Lake Eola in Orlando). I can't think of any place like that in Miami. Bayside maybe, but not the best at night. I suppose this is really what the riverwalk is about. Can't wail till that's done.

^Yeah, the Riverwalk will be a great new public space for downtown.

I'm not too familiar with Miami, but I was wondering where's a good urban/semi-urban cinema? Does this 'Sunset Place' have one? I'm thinking about taking the train down to Miami, to sightsee, and I thought I could catch a movie as well. Is 'Sunset Place' near a Metrorail station?

~Tyler, the tourist from two counties away....

Sunset Place is right on a metrorail station. You do have to cross busy US 1 to get there, but its right across the street. I wouldn't call the movie theatre itself urban, but the neighborhood itself has a great urban vibe. Sunset Place is basically just a glorified mall. It's street-oriented, and doesn't have surface parking, but there really aren't any store entrances from the street... you have to enter the mall to go into any of the stores. I can't think of any other cinemas (at least in South Dade) that are anywhere near a metrorail station...

South Miami/Sunset Places sounds perfect for you.

You could also consider Coconut Grove. There's a shuttle that runs from the metrorail station to the main part of the neighborhood. There's more night life activities there, including a AMC theater in Cocowalk.

If you wait long enough, I believe the Met Square project will include a movie theater when finished.

:rofl:

Wow,that's a pretty long while away.Actually thats going to be REAL GOOD for downtown.

The Sunset Place is a good place to go,there's the Nike store(last time I went) and there was an Old Navy.There's also Gap,Gameworks.

Dolphin Mall is good to chill and hang out.There's book store where I went once to read books and stuff,then there are the bunch of stores,Dave and Busters(good eat,to play pool and games),and best of all the Dolphin Mall theatres.

Now that I think about it,there's not that many movie theaters in Miami (that I know of) .

In Hialeah & Miami Lakes there are some.The good ones are Muvico and (I think)Cobb theatres, in main street (that's what they call it). (the only bad thing is that the metro station is a little far,I think the closest one is by the Palmetto,Conchita's not so bad)

The nearest good Muvico is the Paradise 24 in Davie (Broward), off of I-75 and Sheridan Street. A lot of people from North Dade will drive up there just to go to that theater. There's a Muvico-branded theater in Hialeah, but it's a retrofit of an older theater and not a "pretty" one like the Davie and Boca ones. The Boca theater is beyond posh, with a full service restaurant/bistro and bar. :wacko:

In Dade, my favorite movie theaters are Aventura, South Beach (Lincoln Rd), CocoWalk, and Sunset Place, in that order.

Archived