Caf

Aessotariq

Unfortunately, that store never reported strong sales at Aventura... it was probably the wrong fit for the mall. That's too bad, because it was a nice one too, built on two levels. That 2nd and 3rd level space is now a Zara, a Spain-based clothing retailer.

The one at Sawgrass is still open.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday marked an unofficial beginning to the South Florida rainy season. Now it's time for those quick and spontaneous showers that remind us why we're called the Sunshine State.

It happens to be my second-favorite part of the year, next to fall and spring. It's that time when you get temporary relief from that scorching summer heat, when your air conditioner doesn't have to run as long, the time of year for our aquifers to recharge for the next dry season, a time to turn off the sprinklers, and to sweep away those puddles of standing water harboring the mosquitoes. A nice 30-minute shower washed away the bird havoc reaked on my car.

It's also the time you realized you hadn't brought your umbrella and your parking space is at the opposite end of the lot. :) Murphy's Law, now available in liquid form.

^lol

I have been noticing some more clouds and showers. Oh well, we need the rain. It was really cloudy at Sunfest, which was so ironic for its name.

BTW, I took a few pics at Sunfest in downtown WPB, and I'll post them......soon. (I have a really bad habit of forgetting the get cameras developed)

Talking about rain.It rained really hard today, by Hialeah-Miami Lakes,i dont know about other places,but here it poured.I was walking home from school and I was soaked by the time I got home.The road looked like a river.

(Luckily ,my house is on the same block of the school.)

• 1 month later...

Folks, if you have never been, I highly recommend you spend a few hours at the Miami Art Museum and the Historical Museum of Southern Florida. Both are located at the Miami-Dade Cultural Center, at 101 W Flagler Street, in downtown Miami. It's one block south of the Metrorail Government Center station.

The Historical Museum's special gallery just closed a days ago to set up a new upcoming exhibit, but its permanent collection on the 2nd floor is still open and it is very fascinating. You can take a self-guided historical tour of southern Florida, from its geologic beginnings, to settlement, and finally to the modern events that gave birth to our city. There is actually quite a lot of history in South Florida, and you'll feel enriched checking this out.

Something especially worth checking out is an actual streetcar on display used in Miami's early days. You can go inside and have a seat too.

historicstreetcar8qt.jpg

Admission is only $5, $4 if you have student ID, and they are open Mon-Sat 10am-5pm, Sunday 12pm-5pm, and from 10am-9pm on the third Thursday of every month.

The Miami Art Museum's (MAM) latest exhibit is called "marking time: moving images" (sic), on display from May 13 until September 11 of this year. Time, of course, is the theme of this exhibit, and it provides an intriguing look at the role that the intangible dimension of time plays in our reality and how we perceive things. It's one of the funnest exhibits I've seen in a while. The MAM website has more info.

MAM is a great bargain... only $5 for admission (and if you go on Sunday, it's FREE), and students get in free with ID. It's open Tues-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat-Sun 12pm-5pm, closed Mondays, and on the 3rd Thursday of the month 10am-9pm.

• 1 month later...

My favorite bar in the area is in downtown Coral Gables.  It's just simply called "The Bar" (formerly Hofbrau), and is located on Giralda.  It is very relaxed, and has one of the best selections of draft beers I've ever seen (try the Kostritzer, its good :) ).  The nightlife is spotty, but the establishments are all high quality.  The nightlife for the area is drained a bit by the nearby South Miami business district, which sees a huge mixed crowd (a lot of teeny-boppers, but lots of college students/yuppies too).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love that place! I work in the building right in front it. Great place for happy hour if you just want to relax and disattach yourself from the "be seen" bars in the area.

Wow that looks cool... I can't believe some of the cool mods that have been added since I stopped going to Simtropolis... How the heck did this guy do the US1 - Ponce - Metrorail corridor? It looks like he has roads/rails going at angles that I thought weren't possible in SC4...

There are some mods that I would never play SC4 without, and the highway and transit mods are a seriously valuable add-on to the game. New mods and BATs are what let the game remain interesting...

I think it's the scale of this project that makes the US1 corridor, the Grove, etc look so great. Rough guess is that he fit about 6 square miles onto each map. And using the airport as a reference point for the center of his map was ingenious. LeJeune Rd/NW 42nd Avenue is the midpoint between the Palmetto Expressway and downtown Miami... I wonder how he's going to do the islands in Biscayne Bay and Miami Beach... That's going to be really cool. Stay tuned I guess...

The first phase of the project is going to cost $132 million, which will give us ~7 miles of track.

Back in 2002 we decided to tax ourselves extra and passed a half-penny sales tax to pay for mass transit projects. Most of the money goes to the county for regional projects, and the cities receive a certain amount for local projects they might want to do. There are about 26 miles of Metrorail track slated for construction as well.

Putting the "cafe" in Cafe Miami.

Here's a profile of restaurants on Coral Way, which is turning into quite a dining strip.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/livin...od/12345804.htm

From Argentine at Chocolate to Portuguese at Old Lisbon. Greek at Mycanos to classic Cuban fare at Havana Vieja. Don't miss the Uraguayan owned Zuperpollo.

I like Coral Way... it's so charming. It does feel like a restaurant row as you go through it.. The dining variety is good... Also, although not on Coral Way itself, just a few blocks south on SW 17th Avenue is Casola's, a pizza place that also has great mutant-size chicken wings. Good hangout or meeting place at virtually any hour. We always make sure to get wings from them for every Super Bowl party.

Archived