SC Legislature

vicupstate

OK, so which one of us should run for political office in this state? These bozo's irk me to NO END!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll go! :D This bass ackwards mentality is just stupid. Most of these politicians see the new town legislation as "the people having their say for what government they want." IMO, this is demonstrating that these people (such as anti-Charleston James Islanders) are basically just being selfish and could careless how it affects already established governments. All new towns will do is add to the pile of bureaucracy among our metro areas, further complicating zoning and provisions for utilities, and take away money from state funds that are given to major cities.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are all reasons why South Carolina has wallowed as an economic backwater for centuries. I love South Carolina, but hate our politics. The state must encourage cities to grow and become large entities. Somebody forgot to teach our legislators about economies of scale.

Did you guys read the article in The State about the possibility of the Senate banning common law marriage? The comments of the legislators who opposed the measure were ridiculous, IMO. Check them out for yourself.

The newspaper also ran an article about how Sanford is basically at odds with his own party right now, evidenced recently in his proposed budget vetoes. It's sad that one of the few progressive voices in SC government belongs to the one who occupies the highest office in the state, an office that doesn't have as much authority vested in it as it should. But hey, I guess you have to start somewhere.

Did you guys read the article in The State about the possibility of the Senate banning common law marriage? The comments of the legislators who opposed the measure were ridiculous, IMO. Check them out for yourself.

The newspaper also ran an article about how Sanford is basically at odds with his own party right now, evidenced recently in his proposed budget vetoes. It's sad that one of the few progressive voices in SC government belongs to the one who occupies the highest office in the state, an office that doesn't have as much authority vested in it as it should. But hey, I guess you have to start somewhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's almost as ridiculous as them putting a constitutional amendment on the ballot in 2006 banning civil unions, domestic partnerships and gay marriage.

These are all reasons why South Carolina has wallowed as an economic backwater for centuries. I love South Carolina, but hate our politics. The state must encourage cities to grow and become large entities. Somebody forgot to teach our legislators about economies of scale.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen to that, dude! :thumbsup:

OK, can you guys stomach one more example?

House punishes some members for stance on vetoes (in today's edition of The State)

Seems as though the House members who stood with Sanford on the majority of his vetoes were "taught a lesson" as technical colleges in their respective districts were denied funds for much needed repairs. I'm sure SC isn't the only state wrought with such vindictive politics, but sheesh, give me a break; how immature can you get? Why must the students be punished?

I think a herd of lobotomized cattle could do a better job than our legislature.

SC needs something like Vote-Smart.org for our legistlature. I would like to know how my local representatives voted on this.

I am glad that some of our elected officials are standing up to the pressure though. Kudos to them for standing up to the bullies.

It irritates me that the Governor's office is such a useless thing in this state. It seems that the checks and balances in this state are not in balance.

• 2 months later...

It has been said that Gov. Sanford will "run against the legislature" in his re-election bid next year. The attached article gives a very good example of how the legislature is largely responsible for what happens in SC (since they have the lion share of the power), and how they always seek to blame someone/thing else for there irresponsible actions.

Candidates for the legislature will need to file by March 30 of next year. If you know of someone that might be a good candidate for office, now is the time to encourage them to run. This state will always be 20 years behind our neighbors, if something doesn't change the fundamentals of our government, (ie our legislature).

How SC losts it's AAA credit rating

I agree vic. The governor's office needs to actually be a useful thing, and not just a 'head of state' position. But it will be difficult to get the State House to relenquish any of its power.

Its almsot ironic that the governor has put out a balanced budget every year, and the legislature just ignores that. I have known all along who is to blame. Y'all may not agree with Gov Sanfords politics, but you have to agree that he is good at pinching pennys.

• 1 year later...

The state is making an effort to regain its AAA credit rating. I hope that the state house has learned its lesson. Their poor decision making has really cost the state something big. I just hope we are fortunate enough to have our perfect score returned. It will probably take many years before it will happen though.

Archived