Moving to TN....suburb or urban?

urbanmamma

Paula, Waverly-Belmont can be tricky. The area more commonly and historically known as Waverly is called "Woodland-In-Waverly". Waverly-Belmont refers to a wider area. This can go either way, really, but generally, the area is just full of properties with enormous potential.

If you have an address, I'll drive by and let you know what I think. Sometimes, only the eyes can tell a story, and this area could, quite possibly, have a story to tell.

You can tell me in a PM if you wish, but I'm out and about all the time. Heck, I'll even take a picture for you if you'd like.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just found this post and kept thinking of things to write but other people got to them first :(.

I live in the "mighty" 37212. In fact, they sell bumper stickers in Hillsboro village that say "37212 - it's a way of life" Yes, it is expensive and getting more so every year - our house has probably increased 40% in the five years since we bought it. But it is still nowhere near Seattle. Like everyone else said, if you want an old fashioned neighborhood you are probably going to have to pick Nashville. Green Hills is nice, but you won't be able to walk anywhere. To have a Seattle type walkable neighborhood I think you will have to pick the area between West End and 8th Avenue inside 440 or Germantown or East Nashville. Schools in Nashville are a weak point. Eakin and Julia Green are the two best elementary schools. I don't know if there even is a good non-magnet high school - maybe Hillsboro. The magnet schools are very good, but they have some stupid lottery system, so even if your child is the smartest in Nashville they are still out of luck if they don't draw the right number.

Linclink - Belmont Waverly is not quite "Belmont area" but I think it is great neighborhood that is going to get better. "12 South" is the up and coming hip shopping strip that goes right down the center of Belmont Waverly - check out the Frothy Monkey - one of the best coffee bars in town. Sevier park is a great park on the west side of the neighborhood. 8th avenue forms the south border - has a lot of fun antique shops along with Zanies, a comedy club and several music venues. Belmont forms the north border - the prices increase the closer you get to Belmont. I almost bought a house there about 8 years ago on 11th ave but it sold before I could place an offer and I ended up in Sylvan park before I moved here. I don't understand why Sylvan park is so hot - the houses are much nicer in Belmont Waverly IMO and its nearer to so much fun stuff.

I went to college at UT in Austin and I think Nashville and Austin were separated at birth. They are both on the river, both surrounded by hills, both state capitals, both big music towns, both have a university in midtown with old fashioned neighborhoods a little farther out. Both are liberal oasises in a sea of red state conservatism. Both are also really big internet towns and reading towns. It is amazing how many people on all sorts of message boards are from Nashville and Austin - seems way out of proportion to their populations. Also, I have never seen as many big bookstores and used bookstores as in these two towns. Weather is great in both cities, but I like Nashville's a little better. A little more variety and not quite as hot in the summer.

One more thing I forgot - if you visit Nashville you have to see the downtown library. I may be biased because we have two small kids and go to the children's program every week, but I think it is the nicest libraryI have ever been to.

Hey Luschen,

Thanks sooo much for all the great tips!!! Glad you finally came in and gave your two cents!!!!!!

Dave,

thanks sooo much for the kind offer!! I don't want to be a bother.... if you are in the area, and happen to have a camera... cool!!! But if not... please don't go out of your way!!! If we decide to go with urban living... the areas that have really interested me are germantown and east Nashville... the price is still reasonable and I can still get a really old house with alot of charm.... Also, I really don't see how these neighborhoods can NOT get better... considering how close they are to the downtown which is getting better every day. The west side of nashville would be my first choice, mostly because the neighborhoods are soooo green!!! There are so many big lush trees, and all the great architecture, etc... but the prices just aren't in my price range.... especially since I will probably want to redo it all... heheheh... my husband wouldn't be too happy about paying 300,000 on a home only to have me mortgage the house to redo it... hehehehe....

So... I rather buy something cheap and have a longer leash for making it my own.

So here goes... the homes he sent me in Waverly/Belmont are on the following streets....

1105 Summit Ave

839 Argyle Av

930 Benton Av (this one he said is REALLY close to the University). So if you have any info on the areas.... the houses aren't very nice... but thats ok... and I don't mind the area not being very good... as long as it is an area that will probably become good with time....

Thanks again Dave!!! And take more pics when your out and about... of anything!! It's always appreciated!!!!

Paula

Linklinc said:

So here goes... the homes he sent me in Waverly/Belmont are on the following streets....

1105 Summit Ave

839 Argyle Av

930 Benton Av (this one he said is REALLY close to the University). So if you have any info on the areas.... the houses aren't very nice... but thats ok... and I don't mind the area not being very good... as long as it is an area that will probably become good with time....

Looking at the map, I think the first two houses are in Edgehill, not Waverly/Belmont. I think it would be too risky buying north/east of Wedgewood. The houses are the same, but the "wrong side" of Wedgewood just seems to be sketchier and too dangerous IMO. If you look at a map, those open areas 1 block north/east of argyle are big 1950's housing projects Maybe the neighborhood will turn around sometime, but then again it may not. The Benton side is a much better bet - sure to improve. It is pretty close to Belmont University, but not TOO close. You need to watch out because Belmont University is riling up the neighborhood with its plans to buy up and tear down the surrounding houses for future expansion. I doubt they will cross 12 ave though.

luschen, thanks for chiming in. And Nash, you are Mr. Speedy with the pics. You undoubtedly have a better computer than I do...and probably faster fingers.

I still plan to photo the areas, but I have a feeling with the descriptions from luschen I might make in an early morning trip. I often make my photo runs early in the morning. It's me and the cityas one.

My morning and evening commutes take me through Edgefield, East Nashville and beyond from and to my 'hood, and this afternoon with the sun setting and the redbuds and dogwoods in full bloom, the area between Edgefield and Lockeland Springs just looked amazing. I grew up in Inglewood. The houses are stunning. My grandparents lived on a 3-acre spread right in the heart of East Nashville in a large house that unfortunately was sold and developed as some not-so-desirable rentals. Still makes me mad. They were next door to a 200-year-old lady (well...to a kid....) named Cora Howe, who's immense English gardens were transplanted to Cheekwood Botanical as the Howe Memorial Wildflower Garden. As a kid, I would sneak through Mrs. Howe's fence and there, hidden in the trees and shrubs, was a hole just big enough for a 7-year old to slip through. Orville, the yard man, and I were real buds, talking about things in the old thatched English garden shed. Maybe that where I get some of this "I MUST plant" orientation. I'll never forget spending so much time in what surely must have been an Eden in the heart of the city.

But I've watched East Nashville change. During most of my years in the Hillsboro Village area, only the true pioneers would think about moving to the east end, but now, the incredible transformation continues. It's future is very, very bright, and every day as I pass neighborhoods so long familiar to me, I see changes for the better. I see an incredibly diverse and "cool" culture developing and I hope to watch it continue.

Paula and Ms. Mom, this is what's happening all over town in our beautiful old neighborhoods that have waited so long to be reclaimed. Whether it's East, 12South, Belmont, Hillsboro, Germantown, or any of the others, I hope when you drive around and look at these places, you'll see and realize the absolute guts and sweat equity that's gone into these. The efforts have shown and are still showing the astronomical resolve to rebuild the character, diversity, and sense of forward thought (with a tight rein on history) that goes into making a true sense of neighborhood.

In any of these areas you'll encounter a cross-section of our society. You'll find that your neighbors may very well be from Seattle, Portland, Denver, New York, Los Angeles .... Singapore, Budapest, or Moscow. Many people just don't understand the wonder of living around those who's roots are embedded in different cultures. Even though you'll find a variety in the 'burbs, the close knit inner, developing neighborhoods are where you can develop a true sense of being.

WOW! do not even know where to begin! between nashvol85's pics - and YES that is probably one of the most amazing city libraries I have ever seen (should pull some cool ones up of UW's libraries as well though...oh, and the cherry trees on campus...holy smokes! :wub: ) That will have to be one our stops I think!

And thank you for luschen for that awesome description - I have SO much to go off from this forum! I am cutting and pasting over half of these entries so I can refer to them quickly when we visit :D I need to do a little brushing up on magnet schools - not a big thing up here which from the little I do know kind of surprises me! But, if anyone knows Seattle at all, their school system is in a huge rut right now as well and not looking to turn around anytime soon and we were still living there hoping that those extra years will pay off! I think I will do some magnet school surfing tonight. I agree - from what I have seen so far, not at all the $$ of Seattle but still higher than other areas for sure!

it's just dave - I love this:

In any of these areas you'll encounter a cross-section of our society. You'll find that your neighbors may very well be from Seattle, Portland, Denver, New York, Los Angeles .... Singapore, Budapest, or Moscow. Many people just don't understand the wonder of living around those who's roots are embedded in different cultures. Even though you'll find a variety in the 'burbs, the close knit inner, developing neighborhoods are where you can develop a true sense of being.
- exactly why we moved from the eastside to downtown as well. We wanted our family to be around that culture, that laid back attitude, and that deep sense life - so much fun! Yes..hard to come by in a burb! Not bad at all...just different :)

I agree Paula! I am JUST like you! I have this NEED...this CRAVING to fix up a home (I think I mentioned that even if we did end up in a burb that I would probably end up fixing up a newer home just for the sake of making it look "old" !!) so spending a lot on one and then not having those reigns free to play/fix/add character would be tough for me too. I would love to be one of those that it's just dave was talking about when it came down to pouring that love and sweat equity into a home!! Keep that character and life alive within the city!! let us know how that house your realtor found turns out, Paula...excited for you guys to take that leap :thumbsup:

oh! wanted to pass on another site to you too for looking up houses -it is called www.realtracs.com - loved your site but for some reason I found some homes on this new site and not on the nashvillehs.com one?? I still go back and forth to compare but I like the site quite a bit!

You know folks, at some point we're going to have to bring up some of the negatives about our fair city. Yes, we have them. We don't want to appear blind to some of the problems that exist around here, but all in all, it's a pretty nifty place to live.

There are areas of town that are anything but attractive. There are people here that are anything but polite. There are problems that exist within our government, budget problems, civil problems, infrastructure problems, road construction, drug abuse, prostitution and such. I know all these exist everywhere as well. I just don't want us to totally glaze over the donut. Besides, discussions along these lines are positive and helpful to everyone. Getting problems out front is usually the first step in either correcting them, or avoiding them on a personal level. I've gotten pretty good at the avoidance thing, and when I see certain things, I try to look at it very obectively. It helps.

Also, Mom and Paula, there will be cultural differences between the people here and the people of the northwest. Southerners, myself included, are indeed Southerners, "bless our hearts."

I'm hoping you'll embrace the indigenous people and cultures as you get to know the area. I think it'll be interesting to see what everyone else thinks are things about us that make us distinctive and southern.

i agree, we do have our fair share of traffic, meth and hookers (what a combination right?). the positives still outweigh the negatives however. we have all the same problems that many big cities have. it's definatly still a place to raise a family. or like many of us on this board, just a place to be happy and enjoy life. i'm glad so many people are finally giving nashville a chance.

just wanted to post my $.02 and note what a great thread this is! My wife and I were married just a month ago and we own a small condo (800 sq ft) in Green Hills. I walk everywhere and take MTA to work everyday (VUMC). We love the lifestyle but need more room, so we're putting our place on the market and looking for a house. We're asking the same questions that come up in this thread and your comments have been quite helpful. Having lived on the west side of Nashville all her life, my wife is leery about the prospect of a house on the other side of the river, despite my enthusiasm. Our budget will allow a list price of the high side of 200K - (300k is the absolute ceiling). Single family dwellings in area 2 for that price are pretty hard to come by, so we've opened our search to area 6 as well. The main obstacle is my wife's concern for safety in East Nashville. During our drives through the neighborhoods in east Nashville, she will fall in love with one block and cringe at the next. For those of you who live in that neck of the woods -- what "ammunition" or other data do I have at my disposal to allay those fears? Or in other words, what is your opinion on the safety over there, and its continuing improvement?

Hey urbanmamma,

Thanks for the great new sites!! I will definetly look them up more often!!! The realtor emailed me pictures of the homes and they really (with the exception of one of them), are 30-40 years old... with not alot of character, more like ranch houses... etc.... Based on what Luschen and Nashvol85 said about the area... I think we won't look in that area too seriously.

Dave, thanks for being so candid about the area! We have been there and have seen the good and the bad. And we know that no place is perfect! You know, I REALLY love Fort Lauderdale. We moved here when I was 11 from Chicago (I grew up pretty much downtown), and I remember falling in love with it here. Always green grass, blue sky's, friendly people, a very laid back feeling... things were not as crazy and hectic as in Chicago. And then, as if that were not enough... Fort Lauderdale was already a pretty urban city back then.... I mean.. they only had 3 buildings over 6 stories tall... but they already had las olas... which is a place within walking distance from downtown and the beach and had all these great shops and cafes (I will be there next Sunday, I can post some pics if anyone is interested... it is an architectural gem!!). They also had a water taxi that you could get on from various points in the city and ride to downtown, and several other places... All this to say that this is an awesome city that I love very much, and at times the thought of leaving breaks my heart. The city is growing and becoming even more beautiful, but things have changed ALOT and it is no longer a place where you can live comfortably, and still raise a family. For one thing, they have not been as responsible as Nashville is trying to be with housing. I grew up in Rio Vista, which was sort of like the Belle Meade of the city (though not as expensive at the time). It was right behind Las Olas (which was the REALLY Expensive neighborhood with all the mansions on canals)... walking distance to downtown, and very close to the beach... a beautiful old neighborhood with historic homes, etc.... If I could afford to raise my family there... I probably would never move. Heck, if I could afford to live anywhere within Fort Lauderdale, I would never more. But what has happened here is that the city has never made builders in Fort Lauderdale have affordable housing within their units. Today, the cheapest home you will find within the city of Fort Lauderdale will be for 250,000, in a neighborhood where you would be in jeopardy for driving through... don't even think about moving in. And that house will probably be about 800 sq feet. The neighborhood I grew up in has its humbler homes starting in around 700,000. The city is raising property taxes as much as possible in an attempt to have Fort Lauderdale be an exclusive city, where only the rich can afford to live. So.. what choice does one have? You end up having to move (like we did) to the suburbs. The only thing is that the beauty of living here is living close to the beach. Thats the only natural beauty we have. So we live out in Davie, which is sort of like living in Franklin, except all you see for miles around is flatland, subdivisions, and strip malls.

As for quality of life... it has been flooded with northerners (From New York, Boston, New Jersey... some from Illinois) and they have brought with them the pace of a large city. Satalac, you think Nashville traffic is bad?!?!?! One of the reasons we fell in love with Nashville is because people are sooo polite and respectful in traffic... and it really isn't too bad.. .believe me!!! You should see the maniacs that drive down here!!! Plus things are very spread out here... my husband drives 120 miles a day!!!! He leaves at 6:00 am to be at work 45 minutes later, because if he leaves at 7 (he starts work at 8), he won't arrive until 9:30.

Well, all this to say that Nashville still has that small town feel that Fort Lauderdale used to have. People there have a much slower pace, and it is still very Southern in that regard. If we find that we don't want to live in the city, we would have no problem living in Williamson county, since its so beautiful with all the hills and there is alot of diversity and natural beauty. Plus we can raise our kids in a place where people still say please and thank you, yes sir and yes maam... thats really nice. So for all of Nashville's problems... believe me... it could be worse... much worse...

Yes I am going to miss my beautiful city (I can post some pics, if you guys would like...) and living far from the beaches will be REALLY REALLY hard.... but this area really has become saturated, and its not as fun as it used to be to live here anymore.

And it will be nice to live in a place with alot of diversity since South Florida is VERY diverse... we have people from all over the world (My own parents moved to the US from Brasil, with our ancestors being a mix of portuguese, italian, and jewish on my side of the family and portuguese, swiss, italian and jewish on my husband's side). You know... just a funny aside.... we have a more olive tone of skin... sort of mediteranian look... and when we were in Chattanooga.. people were NOT very friendly to us.. heheh.. same thing happened in Gatlinburg.... but in Nashville we were treated REALLY well.... so I can vouch for the diversity thing there... hehehehe

Well... all this to say that I know that no place is perfect... but at this point in our lives, Nashville is for us... problems and all...

Paula

You know... just a funny aside....  we have a more olive tone of skin... sort of mediteranian look... and when we were in Chattanooga.. people were NOT very friendly to us.. heheh.. same thing happened in Gatlinburg.... but in Nashville we were treated REALLY well....  so I can vouch for the diversity thing there... hehehehe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would imagine that you would have less of a problem in Nashville and Memphis than anywhere else in the state, because they are more diverse...you probably wouldn't have much of a problem in Knoxville either, because UT has a ton of foreign students, so the people in the area are more used to it.

And my two cents:

Gatlinburg ≠ part of Tennessee (everyone around is from somewhere else!) -_-

The city is growing and becoming even more beautiful, but things have changed ALOT and it is no longer a place where you can live comfortably, and still raise a family.
....my same thoughts on Seattle! I could have written that entire portion on housing and being able to afford a home and raise a family here. and much like you said..I think if we could afford anything to live in and in any neighborhood, some of Seattle's finest would be in my top choice. However....so don't have the cash!

I appreciate you sharing your experience in TN and how different it was in the Nashville area vs Gatlinburg etc... We are caucasion, however that is a big deal to us coming from the north and a very diverse community. We have so many friends of various races and to hear that Nashville embraces that diversity is so exciting to us! That is where some of our friends have a tough time with the idea of us moving "south"since the sterotypes can be so painful, yet, we know that things are so different in the bigger cities. That is extremely encouraging to us as great cities such as Nashville are continuing to grow and strengthen as great communities.

And believe me! I know that problems will be there!! Seattle by far has its' fair share!! And to 2nd Paula - Traffic alone will be a joy vs what we battle here! But thankfully, that slower feel and community feel still within a city that so many desire to keep, is really there! That hasn't been lost in the growth :thumbsup:

and to have some incredible affordable options all over to raise a family in is unreal! That is even more exciting to us!!

so interested to hear more about the response to eusebius's post!

just wanted to post my $.02 and note what a great thread this is!  My wife and I were married just a month ago and we own a small condo (800 sq ft) in Green Hills.  I walk everywhere and take MTA to work everyday (VUMC).  We love the lifestyle but need more room, so we're putting our place on the market and looking for a house.  We're asking the same questions that come up in this thread and your comments have been quite helpful.  Having lived on the west side of Nashville all her life, my wife is leery about the prospect of a house on the other side of the river, despite my enthusiasm.  Our budget will allow a list price of the high side of 200K - (300k is the absolute ceiling).  Single family dwellings in area 2 for that price are pretty hard to come by, so we've opened our search to area 6 as well.  The main obstacle is my wife's concern for safety in East Nashville.  During our drives through the neighborhoods in east Nashville, she will fall in love with one block and cringe at the next.  For those of you who live in that neck of the woods -- what "ammunition" or other data do I have at my disposal to allay those fears?  Or in other words, what is your opinion on the safety over there, and its continuing improvement?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

200-300k will get you a pretty nice house in my area (Nashville side of 37027). I've lived here all my life and there has never once been a break-in in my neighborhood. It's safe. You can't really walk anywhere...and the lack of sidewalks is a drawback, but everything (post office, library, 6 grocery stores *plus one on the way, I think*, all kinds of restaurants and retail in the area). My [parents] house is on 1.25 acres of land, with woods. It's an older developement where the houses are 15-30 years old, so everything is set in and there are plenty of trees. The other positive is that you are 15-20 minutes from almost everywhere (except Murfreesboro, Lebanon, and Hendersonville/Gallatin).

To throw some kudos to the eastside. The East Precinct was honored recently as the one with the largest decrease in crime. The Mayor, Chief and lots of hoopla surrounded the milestone. It just doesn't seem unsafe to me at all. It's very quiet. Sure, there are enough criminals to go around, but I usually don't notice.

When I make a quick trip to the store sometimes, I not only leave the door to my house unlocked, if it's the back door, I'll just leave it wide open so the cats can come and go as they please. Crime never is an issue. If someone is going to get in a locked door won't stop them. The only problem I had in Inglewood was a wallet taken from my car one night. Just kids, I'm sure...and besides, an unlocked car is not place to keep your credit cards. Ugh.

Oh, and while I'm defending East Nashville....what do they call that guy that's coming into houses and snatching purses? The WEST SIDE what? lol

Oh, and wasn't it Brentwood where the minister of the fairly large church was nabbed breaking into cars at the YMCA in Maryland Farms?

Sometimes crime is just the ill luck of the draw.

Eusebius, as far as Ms. E cringing at some of the bad, no worry, I grew up around here, and I still cringe from time to time. Familiarity is key. Keep driving through, have dinner at Margot or another restaurant and let her see the neighbors. She'll be surprised they look a lot like the folks on the "other" side of town.

Oh, and wasn't it Brentwood where the minister of the fairly large church was nabbed breaking into cars at the YMCA in Maryland Farms?

That was in Williamson county, dave. We all know that Davidson county is safer. ;)

The great thing about the area where I live is that I don't even think that crooks are aware that it exists...all the new neighborhoods with new neighbors that don't trust each other is where that happens. lol. The former vice mayor (Jay West) is my neighbor. One time he checked with police to see the last time there was a crime reported in my neighborhood...they checked back 26 years in their database and couldn't find a single incident. Amazing, huh?

Eusebius, as far as Ms. E cringing at some of the bad, no worry, I grew up around here, and I still cringe from time to time. Familiarity is key. Keep driving through, have dinner at Margot or another restaurant and let her see the neighbors. She'll be surprised they look a lot like the folks on the "other" side of town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm slowly introducing the idea (the fact that area 6 is even included in our search is a major victory!), but I have to make sure I don't push too quickly. Just this week, we had Bongo Java coffee and I picked up some goodies at Sweet16th. Both were received favorably. We're even looking at a house in the East End tomorrow. (crossing my fingers that it goes well) Baby steps... :) Our realtor has mentioned a couple homes on McChesney. Know anything about that particular area?

Archived