Moving to TN....suburb or urban?

urbanmamma

McChesney is only a few blocks from my house and is one of my favorite streets in Inglewood. There are some beautiful homes ... reminiscent of Edgefield, but often with larger lots. It's definately a street that is doing well at the moment and will continue as the neighborhood continues to transform. So much more house for so much less money.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nashvol85!! Always so great with your references! thanks!! That helps a ton ~ another thing to add to my notes :thumbsup:

I saw a few houses on Skyview ...anyone know about that street downtown? A few of them just seemed too good to be true - near Shelby (??) Park I think?

so what is the traffic like from living in an area downtown to commuting to a suburb like Brentwood for work? Are you going against the flow?

Okay..had another random question but not sure if I am allowed to post about specific companies here so I'll wait....just wanted to know if anyone were able to tell me about the atmosphere/environment/work-life balance of a certain company DH is looking at down there. Let me know if I should steer clear of that topic and I will be glad too :whistling: Promise I'm not up for some controversy!

have a great start to your weeks!!

I'm not sure what the protocol is when mentioning specific companies, and there's no guarantee we'd know anything, but I'd say go for it. Or, if you'd like, just send a PM, and if I do know anything, I'll be happy to tell you. There's a lot of companies in Brentwood...but who knows, it might be one I'm familiar with.

Commuting to Brentwood from downtown should be somewhat easy...on the interstate (or even Franklin Pike) you would be going against the flow of traffic, and you probably wouldn't have much to deal with until you actually got to Brentwood.

Lockeland Springs is a wonderful area. This link can explain it to you better than I could.

If you are interested in knowing more, you might joining any one of the many discussion boards and talk directly to the residents. They are your best source for just about anything you could need or want to know.

Try this:

http://www.lockelandsprings.org

Hey Dave...

Thanks soo much... I really like the feel of the homes there... I figured the price break might be due to high crime or something... thats why I asked... thanks!

Sorry for all the questions... all over the board too... but out west is West Meade a bad area? What about Bellevue.... They seem to be less expensive areas in the West .... why is that?

Thanks,

Paula

oh no...another place I have questions about now! Donelson?? Is that over there by Bellevue/West Meade? when you mention "Trendy"..which places come to mind for you, Nashvol85? Just curious :)

Thanks Linclink - LOVE that website!! You guys have been right on with it all -such a great thread!

Okay...another area I remembered I had heard of: Cherokee Park? Oh and Shelby Park too.

have a great night everyone!

oh no...another place I have questions about now! Donelson?? Is that over there by Bellevue/West Meade? when you mention "Trendy"..which places come to mind for you, Nashvol85? Just curious :)

Thanks Linclink - LOVE that website!! You guys have been right on with it all -such a great thread!

Okay...another area I remembered I had heard of: Cherokee Park? Oh and Shelby Park too.

have a great night everyone!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Donelson is out on the east side near the airport and Opryland. It's a pretty quiet neighborhood as far as crime goes...a good deal over older houses (30's-50's in some areas).

The traffic isn't terrible in the area...but it's somewhat loud being near the airport...the housing prices are moderate too...also, a lot of elderly folks live out there.

Several of my friends live in Donelson. Great prices out there, and the neighborhood has a good feel to it -- working class, safe, no pretension. Also - many of the homes have super reinforced sound-proof windows (or something to that effect). The airport came through and refitted tons of houses a few years back. However, everyone I know out there complains about the traffic on I40 in the morning (coming in to town).

However, everyone I know out there complains about the traffic on I40 in the morning (coming in to town).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I-40 sucks, but Lebanon Road is a straight shot in and almost no one seems to use it. It's only about a 10-15 min trip and it drops you off right DT.

I will agree Lebanon Road is a great little secret. IMO if you learn the pikes and secondary roads in Nashville you can usually forget about the interstates in most situations. If you explore and learn traffic patterns you can often make killer times off the interstates, which seem to not only be clogged with cars, but often slowed up by multiple accidents or construction virtually all the time anymore. I hardly EVER get on the interstate, simply no need. You'd be amazed how people will get on the interstate and risk getting stuck in traffic for the shortest of trips that could be made much easier via a non-interstate route.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you're right, i was a delivery driver for about 3 years and the secondary roads will save a lot of time. there are times when the interstate is faster however. construction is usually the main reason to get on the secondary roads. especially around the 24/40 split. god that's a mess.

Okay...getting familiar now with the "Gulch"...!? What area exactly does this represent? What areas to live in are near/around there? Is this more of a "walking community" like we have talked about before? I hear (and have seen the new site!!) that shows all that is about to go on in/around there. I am sorry if I am repeating some of the questions on here - I feel as though I am dancing all over the map trying to get familiar with the area!! I promise it will all 'click' at some point!

Also - elementary schools Percy Priest and Julia Green were mentioned before as well. Are these lottery schools? I am thinking not if you live within the right "zone" - is that right? I looked up both sites and was pretty impressed with what I saw. Seattle is talking about closing down 10 (that is right 10!!!) urban schools and it is so heartbreaking to see the community lost and the education system derail over here :( Seeing some well established schools within urban Nashville was pretty impressive to say the least!

love your input as always, guys! You are the best!!

Okay...getting familiar now with the "Gulch"...!? What area exactly does this represent? What areas to live in are near/around there? Is this more of a "walking community" like we have talked about before?  I hear (and have seen the new site!!) that shows all that is about to go on in/around there. I am sorry if I am repeating some of the questions on here - I feel as though I am dancing all over the map trying to get familiar with the area!! I promise it will all 'click' at some point!

Also - elementary schools Percy Priest and Julia Green were mentioned before as well. Are these lottery schools? I am thinking not if you live within the right "zone" - is that right?  I looked up both sites and was pretty impressed with what I saw. Seattle is talking about closing down 10 (that is right 10!!!) urban schools and it is so heartbreaking to see the community lost and the education system derail over here  :(  Seeing some well established schools within urban Nashville was pretty impressive to say the least!

love your input as always, guys! You are the best!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Percy Priest and Julia Green are zoned schools. No lottery.

Here's a map that shows the elementary schools in the Hillsboro cluster. Julia Green and Percy Priest draw from nice areas...

http://www.mnps.org/schools/PDF-schools/Hillsboro_CH_SM2.pdf

This is the link for a map for all elementary schools.

http://www.mnps.org/schools/MNPS-schools_cluster.html

The gulch is the old railroad area right next to downtown. It really is a gulch...all of the main streets have viaducts over the area, only 11th ave. travels through it. This area is being redeveloped to have restaurants and residential. Dave probably knows a lot more about this area and the developments.

http://www.nashvillegulch.com/vision/

I don't know if the Gulch is ready or where you would want to move to at the moment. Its still very much a work in progress. If you want to live downtown the Cumberland is a very nice option, depending on you resources and how much space you require. Which for a family looking a CBD, I would think it would not be that bad it the scheme of things for all it would offer. There are several families with kids who live downtown that I know of, but there might be many more outside of those, but I don't think there are very many. Schooling might be an issue downtown since I'm not sure where those kids get sent.

Dave is definately the most knowledgable on this topic. So I would go off what he says.

Also - elementary schools Percy Priest and Julia Green were mentioned before as well. Are these lottery schools?

I don't know about Julia Green but I do know Percy Priest is a lottery school. My daughter goes there and got in on the lottery. My other daughter is also able to attend because her sister is there.

Once you get in a school through the lottery your children are also able to attend all of the schools in that district. My daughters will attend Moore Middle and Hillsboro High Schools.

As far as a neighborhood to locate is concerned, I strongly reccomend the suburbs. Oak Hill, Crieve Hall, Bellevue - anything besides East Nashville. That is unless you want to sacrifice your children's safety just so you can walk to a store.

Many people duped into the "back-to-the-city" philosophy of the current Major and Planning Department are starting to feel burned. For good reason.

Check out this article form last Sundy's Tennessean.

http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/0...ent_ID=68625022

That is unless you want to sacrifice your children's safety just so you can walk to a store.

Many people duped into the "back-to-the-city" philosophy of the current Major and Planning Department are starting to feel burned.  For good reason.

Check out this article form last Sundy's Tennessean.

http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/0...ent_ID=68625022

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That all really depends on the location. Yes, anything near South 5th or along Gallatin Pk. or Ellington Pkwy is rough, but let's not say all of East Nashville. There are some pretty nice parts. As you move away from the main roads, it gets better...besides, last year was a "low" year in crime...the increase is alarming, but not surprising.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived