Moving to TN....suburb or urban?

urbanmamma

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ms. Mama, and this is an extra perk of living in this area. The people are very friendly, very helpful...with some notable exceptions, of course. But what you're finding here is what you'll find to be the norm, at least in my experience

NO KIDDING!! This is awesome! one BIG thing we so love about the south!! little diff up here - not horrible - but different :rolleyes:

WOW nashvol85! Awesome pics and illustrations! that helps a ton...had no idea that it was "hilly" on the Hendersonville end. I am intrigued and will be checking out Hendersonville too in this search of ours! I feel like we have SO many options! Great but also overwhelming!!

So....hate to ask this question here since I could get the evil eye so I will ask it carefully :cry: !! Austin was another area that DH and I had talked about forever and really haven't brought up for a while - but was curious how you thought the two compared in raising a family etc?? When this job search came up, Nashville and Austin were the 2 areas that ended up coming up and sticking (this has been a long process) and we know some about there as well but am curious how you guys think the two stack up??Such a huge decision to move 2000miles away!! :blink:

Glad you guys loved it up here!! It is absolutely gorgeous...would you ever want to leave Nashville to move North and raise a family?? From an outside perspective, how does Seattle "look"?? That is interesting to me :)

I've never been to Austin, but from what I understand Nashville and Austin could be sisters, and we're both pretty.

Guess I'll leave that to one to others who know better. But my hunch is that Austin is right up there at the top of many lists.

But, hey, we want you, so put Austin out of your mind. :)

I loved Seattle and Portland. They seemed to project the urban/natural combination I like so much. Downtown Seattle was impressive to say the least. My last visit found me headquartered at the W, so I was very close to lots of things. Downtown seemed very lively...probably because one could buy coffee every ten feet. A caffeineated sense of urgency prevailed everywhere I went. Basically, I saw in Seattle many things I see happening here in Nashville, although on a smaller scale, and behind but working to catch up.

I drove to Olympia and Portland, then back up the coast (where possible). Nothing beats a frigid, beating ocean to make one toss out the beach towel for other pursuits. I was a little disappointed that my seaside restaurant told me the salmon I was eating was flown in from east...frozen. Gee, can't you just stand at the creek and scoop them up? Sigh. The foothills to the mountains reminded me of Eastern Tennessee and Western North Carolina. Have you ever seen the Great Smoky Mountains? That, in itself, will sell the area. So beautiful.

Middle Tennessee has these magnificent geologic gorges and waterfalls. The state park system is good and large, always places to discover.

We do hope our area wins ... do I need to go the Austin section and snoop to see what kind of sales job the guys down there are trying?

Hey Ms. Mama,

To answer your question... no we have not made a final decision... but we had narrowed it down a little bit, (till I just found out Hendersonville has hills :blink: ... there we go again.. .heheheh)

Have you ever been to Nashville? I think you kind of have to go and see the place, and drive around, to really get a feel for where you want to be. I have been in Franklin, Cool Springs, Brentwood and Nashville. Unfortunately we never got up to Hendersonville. To the South I've been to Chattanooga and the east, to Knoxville and Gatlinburg. Of all those places in Tennessee we liked Williamson county (where Franklin/Cool Springs is) and Nashville the best. So this is what we have come to:

IF we decide to buy some land with a home on it (about 2 to 5 acres), we would like to do so in Williamson County... the natural beauty there is breathtaking. There is a stretch of road there that is REALLY beautiful... I don't know the name of the area though.... but I do know the zip is 37069, maybe someone here can help. It's between Franklin and Belle Meade when you take Hillsboro Rd. That was our FAVORITE route to take. It is GORGEOUS!!! So that's where we would LOVE to buy some land.

Now... if we were to buy a home in a small town, we would buy it in Downtown Franklin. The houses there are REALLY beautiful... theres always people walking down the streets, talking on porches... and you walk a block and your in downtown Franklin, with the shops and cafes... WONDERFUL! But a house there starts at about 600,000... so it's not gonna happen :cry:

Now... if we still wanted to stay in the suburbs and live in a development (which we don't), we would probably go to Cool Springs. It's a great place... I really liked it there. If we stayed in Franklin... Westhaven sounds really nice.

Now, since we don't want to live in a development... that pretty much leaves Nashville (Williamson county doesn't have alot of neighborhoods).

In Nashville, if we could afford it we would live in Belle Meade (who wouldn't). You can still find houses there in the 400,000's (not many, though), so if you can afford it... drive around... it's really great, Radnor Park is nearby and so is the lovely Percy Warner Park. Same goes for Forest Hill and Green Hills. Oak Hill.. etc...

And like everyone else here already said... the West End, Belmont, Hillsboro area is PERFECT!!!! In the downtown area there is East Nashville and Germantown. We've been looking at Germantown lately and you can get some fixer uppers at a really good price. I love old houses, and they have 100 year old houses there with 10 foot ceilings, oak floors, big windows.... Not to mention that area, while not so nice now, will be AMAZING a few years down the road. They have some great new residential buildings and townhomes going up in the area. And it has quite a view of the skyline... and that great park! Having grown up in Chicago... living in the city really appeals to me.

Now, from the perspective of raising a family... I am from South Florida and cannot think of a better place then Middle Tennessee. And we are sort of leaning in the direction of buying some land in the Franklin hills for precisely that reason.... My family was fortunate enough to spend a year on a small "farm" (no more than 10 acres) when I was a little girl... I can tell you there is nothing like it! I think the kids learn so much from being in nature, with some farm animals, etc... Now, I could never live in a farm in the middle of nowhere... but thats what is soooo cool about Nashville... You could be in an area of Franklin where it seems like your in the middle of nowhere... then you drive 15 minutes and your in the city! You can't beat that!!!

Hope this helps... though it probably doesn't... it seems that I'm just as spread out in the options department as you .... ^_^

Paula

So....hate to ask this question here since I could get the evil eye so I will ask it carefully  :cry: !! Austin was another area that DH and I had talked about forever and really haven't brought up for a while - but was curious how you thought the two compared in raising a family etc?? When this job search came up, Nashville and Austin were the 2 areas that ended up coming up and sticking  (this has been a long process) and we know some about there as well but am curious how you guys think the two stack up??Such a huge decision to move 2000miles away!! :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm no Austin expert, but I used to take frequent day/weekend trips there from Houston with my wife.

IMHO, Austin still resembles a college town which is a negative for me.

I think the biggest difference between Austin and Nashville would be the politics. Austin is more or less resolutely leftwing, progressive, and activist-- a Texas version of Berkeley, if that's what you're looking/not looking for. And those political sentiments extends out way beyond the University of Texas community.

Economically, Austin is probably more prone to ups and downs, being a tech center, but both cities have the stability of state government.

Weatherwise, Austin is a helluva lot hotter, maybe a little bit drier.

Musically, they both have a lot to offer.

Culturally you might find Nashville more interesting, being a more classically Southern place, although Austin offers its own cultural stew of Texana--hispanic, czech, german, etc.

I would also guesstimate that Austin housing costs are probably more expensive.

Outside of the immediate downtown core of Austin, most of the place doesn't have the urban fabric of Nashville. After all, Nashville was a much larger city for a much longer period of time than Austin, and has the older housing stock.

:thumbsup: Okay! ya sold me! Not that Austin really has been on our "list" lately...pretty much just Nashville. Was just curious as to how other Southerners viewed that specific city. Helps so much to have these views!!

linclink - no, haven't been to Nashville. Funny how it is so stuck on us already too, huh!? Everything we have heard though has been positive and we have had several friends move in and out of there who either moved back to stay or are trying so hard to move back. (most of them aren't into "urban" living though so that is why this forum has been a great one for us since we are torn!)

I would LOVE to visit and I think we may after tax season wraps up for DH...busy busy! Definitely will before we take the plunge though and accept any jobs etc.

its just dave - so agree about the NW...pretty amazing up here. (....causes doubts to rise at times.....) :cry: But for some reason just can't shake this desire to move South. Just something about it I guess!

I love these tips so much and DH is wondering where I have gotten so much knowledge!! :thumbsup: Way to go guys! Although, like Linclink....am still SO confused on even where to begin! Too many awesome places!!

am still SO confused on even where to begin! Too many awesome places!!

Ms. Mama,

Exactly what kind of place would you like to live in? Do you have your heart set on living in the city? If so, that really narrows your search down... If you are not into subdivisions, and are not into living out in the country.... that kind of eliminates Williamson County and probably Hendersonville, too.... (Unless you live in Historic Franklin.... but it's still VERY small town).

So if you decide you want to live in the city... that pretty much leaves you with the West side of Nashville and Germantown and East Nashville (which is not the whole east side of Nashville, just a part that sits across the river and has great views of downtown.)

Folks here who know the area a whole lot more than me can probably tell you what parts of downtown are best for a family... where you could be very close to downtown and still have a yard... etc....

Hope this helps you narrow things down a bit!

Paula

Paul;a's pretty much got Franklin down pack. Downtown homes are very expensive, but very nice. There are wonderful developments, like mine, called Heath Place. They can have decent size homes- 2 to 3 thousand and run for about 250 thousand. My neighborhood also has decent size yards for this day and age.

However, if you want to buy land, do so quickly. Land rates are rising up like smoke from a volcano. I would recommend buying land in the Spring Hill area-it's not too bad there.

Hope this helps.

However, if you want to buy land, do so quickly. Land rates are rising up like smoke from a volcano.  I would recommend buying land in the Spring Hill area-it's not too bad there.

Hope this helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah if you don't mind paying double in Gas because it will take you twice as long to get anywhere...I don't understand why people would want to commute from Spring Hill to Nashville but some do.

NO KIDDING!! This is awesome! one BIG thing we so love about the south!! little diff up here - not horrible - but different :rolleyes:

WOW nashvol85! Awesome pics and illustrations! that helps a ton...had no idea that it was "hilly" on the Hendersonville end. I am intrigued and will be checking out Hendersonville too in this search of ours! I feel like we have SO many options! Great but also overwhelming!!

So....hate to ask this question here since I could get the evil eye so I will ask it carefully  :cry: !! Austin was another area that DH and I had talked about forever and really haven't brought up for a while - but was curious how you thought the two compared in raising a family etc?? When this job search came up, Nashville and Austin were the 2 areas that ended up coming up and sticking  (this has been a long process) and we know some about there as well but am curious how you guys think the two stack up??Such a huge decision to move 2000miles away!! :blink:

Glad you guys loved it up here!! It is absolutely gorgeous...would you ever want to leave Nashville to move North and raise a family?? From an outside perspective, how does Seattle "look"?? That is interesting to me :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya know...I am not sure exactly what type of lace we woupld like to live in?! We are drawn very much to older homes with somewhat of a yard. I would love to have something to cosmetically fix up and draw the beauty out of - so fun. But, we aren't opposed to a newer home (although, I would be one to try and fix it up inside as well and make it look "older" :wacko: ) crazy I know! Green Hills is pretty appealing right now - espcially how close it is to everything. And of course, what I have seen in the Belmont(??) area is amazing as well. I think it is going to call for a drive around town and get the "feel" of each area.

We were told good things about Spring Hill too but I am not sure we want to go that far out. If DH is working in Brentwood that may change things up a bit though :w00t:

So...where do all of guys live in Nashville? Is it where you would choose first to live or are you looking/striving to move elsewhere eventually?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Greetings-- I'm able to squirt this long-winded reply as I'm fighting the flu and need the distraction. You're talking about 2 of my favorite cities. I grew up in Nashville (moved there from ATL at age 5 in '55) Lived there 3 times in my youth for total of 17 years. Left in '75 for Austin, and lived there twice with 3 years in LA sandwiched in for a total of 11 years in Austin. The two cities are VERY different but that's coming from someone who knows both intimately. There are many superficial similarities though. Nashville is more lush botanically, but the hills west of Austin are bigger than the ones around Nashburg and have as much or more visual impact, but not as much greenery. But you can go 50 miles to the east of Nashville to the Cumberland mountains, and the Texas Hill Country can't beat this geography. (Hill Country culture however is way more interesting than the Cumberlands) There is much more preserved land in the Cumberlands now than when I was living there, with wilderness areas. The Nashville area also has many more colleges and universities than Austin. Austin area maybe has 75,000 students in 4-year institutions, all in the city and in San Marcus and Georgetown, in 4 universities. Nashville area has 70,000 in 4 counties with about 19 4-year schools. As it happens I have degrees from both cities, Vanderbilt '72 and UTexas '81. Nashville has a terrific symphony and a very interesting trio of art museums, the Frist, the Parthenon and Cheekwood. Austin's symphony is not notable, and it has a couple of small art museums of interest. Austin doesn't have any interesting suburbs unless you count Westlake, which is gorgeous but otherwise boring. Nashville has the stupendous Franklin, Brentwood, Forest Hills, and fabulous in-town 'burb of Belle Meade and the very attractive Green Hills retail and residential district, something unknown in Austin. Not to mention, for economic impact, Murfreesboro, Smyrna, and La Verne which are in one of the nation's fastest growing counties, with a large university there too. Austin area has the economic powerhouse of Round Rock, which probably is the country's fastest growing city, but not nearly as interesting a burb as the ones near Nashville. However residential areas of west Austin and unincorporated areas around Lake Travis are quite beautiful and unique. As for Downtowns, Austin has the edge because of Town Lake and surrounding parkland and running/biking trails. But you have to see the Warner Park (pair of parks) complex in Nashville to believe it. I think that only Griffith Park in LA is larger city park. Also you have antebellum mansions all around Nashville. N's downtown night life has finally caught up to A's after lagging for several decades. Tons of live music of all kinds in both places. I think Nashville area has about 200,000-400,000 more residents. But it was almost twice the size of A., when I moved to A. in the 70's and has big league sports while A does not. (Though Austin is growing faster.) Both places have a midtown district but A's is dominated by the University, while N's is larger & much more heterogeneous/interesting with a university and historic park to boot. Both places have economies that are driven by high educational levels. And I must mention that Nashville has several top tier, historic private prep schools, Austin does not. Nashville has a medical center in the nation's top 20, Austin does not have a major medical center.

Austin is culturally and politically to the left of Nashville but both Davidson and Travis counties went for Kerry. Travis was the only large county in Texas to do so, but I think 3 large counties in TN went for Kerry. You may have to get used to Red state culture, but both cities are real tolerant. BTW the only person to have served as governor of more than one state was Sam Houston who served in Nashville and Austin, and resigned both positions. (for what it's worth the TN capitol bldg can't compare to the grandeur of the one in Austin. But then Nashville has the Parthenon)

Don't know if I can recommend one place over the other, sorry. I live in Houston and miss life in both of those cities

Dragon, thanks for the informative post. One thing I've discovered here in this discussion is the fairness in descriptions. Some other forums would have turned this into a whizzing match long ago. I'm enjoying reading things about my town as you've described them, and discovering Austin as well. It also makes me quite curious about the Texas Hill Country culture. There's some reading in my future.

Ms. Mama, did you ever think you'd get this avalance of information?

I've never lived in Austin, or Texas for that matter. Driving across the entire state listening to Mother Divine on late night radio doesn't give one much intimacy for one's surroundings, but Texas, in all is facets is an incredibly interesting state (or universe as I've heard stated).

Hey, dragon, drink your fluids, get some rest and keep the good posts coming. Get well.

Ya know...I am not sure exactly what type of lace we woupld like to live in?! We are drawn very much to older homes with somewhat of a yard. I would love to have something to cosmetically fix up and draw the beauty out of - so fun. But, we aren't opposed to a newer home (although, I would be one to try and fix it up inside as well and make it look "older"  :wacko: ) crazy I know! Green Hills is pretty appealing right now - espcially how close it is to everything. And of course, what I have seen in the Belmont(??) area is amazing as well. I think it is going to call for a drive around town and get the "feel" of each area.

We were told good things about Spring Hill too but I am not sure we want to go that far out. If DH is working in Brentwood that may change things up a bit  though :w00t:

So...where do all of guys live in Nashville? Is it where you would choose first to live or are you looking/striving to move elsewhere eventually?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spring Hill is pretty rural. You'll have a probably 20 minute commuter to Brentwood at the least and you'll be nearly 45 mintes from downtown Nashville without traffic.

Green Hills is pretty close to everything. It is one of the best retail-districts in the city, only a few minutes from Downtown/West-End or Cool Springs/Brentwood and has easy interstate access to get to other big areas of the city like Rivergate, Hickory Hollow, and Opryland/Airport. The main drawbackis home prices.. which are the highest in the metro.

I live in Hendersinville and enjoy it because I work in this area and I'm only a few minutes from downtown and all the cultural attractions Nashville has to offer. I love living near the lake too! Considering my job, I would definitely choose to live here first. If I worked in Nashville and had a family I would probably stick with Hendersonville too. If I was on my own I might go more for the West-End and Hillsboro Village areas.

I live in Inglewood on the east side of town. It's an up and coming early suburb about three miles from historic Edgefield and about 5 miles from the city center. I enjoy the convenience of being close to downtown and can be there in under 10 minutes. The Shelby Greenway is easily accessible as is the Two Rivers Greenway connection. I'm across the Cumberland River from the Opryland area and can hear the riverboat on its daily departures. And I can see the spotlights from major events and hear the outdoor concerts...but faintly.

The neighborhood is very diverse. Many young couples with kids have moved in, childless couples, gay couples, working class folks, single men and women from all over the country. The homes are affordable and some parts of the neighborhood near me are very park-like especially those on the high river bluff. It makes me feel right at home with my landscaping hobby.

I really enjoy living in this area. It's one of the most often mentioned "next new places of interest." Briley Parkway and Ellington Pky are five minutes from the house, and from those points, I can get anywhere.

My neighbors are very friendly, mostly young professionals with whom we share cookouts, dinners and movies. The neighborhood feels very safe. It has a way to go, but progress is at hand.

I'm a graphic artist by trade, working for an entertainment company. I'm gay, have a partner...but we're too old and settled to stir up much of a ruckus. He has a house, I have a house. I've lived in Nashville most of my life. There were stints in NYC and LA, but being home is important. My family is here, my old friends and familiar territory is here.

It would take a dramatic event for me to leave this town.

ohhhh Dragonfly! Get better!! Flu is flying around us as well -THE WORST!

Thanks for the awesome detial! NO!! Did NOT expect this at all...so fun! I too thought this would be much more of a "battle" so to speak, but it has been so educational for me! The comparisons between A and N is terrific and I was truly able to see it all more vividly in my mind. Thank you!

rocket9561 - sounds like you really like Hendersonville! That is so great. Funny though -haven't really stumbled across anyone that doesn't really NOT like where they live in Nashville!! That is a good thing!

its just dave - that is awesome about you loving Nashville even after some "pauses" in NY and LA...NY espeically...LOVE it there! :wub: Just so amazing in that city!

You answered my next question - you were reading my mind! I was going to ask about diversity and the overall atmosphere I guess you could say. (Gee...leave it up to me to ask the crazy and possibly stressful questions!! :blush: )

One thing we adore about Seattle is the diversity - SO many cultures, so laid back and accepting of...life and people I guess you could say. We have several friends up here that think we have literally lost our minds for wanting to move to the "S-O-U-T-H"....(and they tend to say it that slowly and hesitantly as well) Not at all trying to say that people don't like the South - but with how accepting and laid back life is up here, they think we are crazy to say the least from what they have "heard". I have assured them that not all the rumors are true when it comes to the bad rap the South tends to get at times. (we'll go to bat for ya! :thumbsup: ) That it is very much more up and coming than they have in their minds!!

loved the info on Inglewood - sounds very Seattleish! We have several of those in-between neighborhoods that are on their way up and it takes those terrific people to move in and just go for it! Those types of areas where you look back 5,6,7yrs down the road and wonder why you didn't just go for it too! We've been there!

and to comment on TX as well...truly is an intriguing state - just something about it that sticks with ya!

As far as diversity goes, Nashville is pretty well mixed, but not to the level of some cities.

Nashville (city proper):

White - 359,581 - 65.9%

Black - 146,235 - 26.8%

American Indian - 1,639 - .3%

Asian - 12,992 - 2.4%

Hawaiian/Pacific Islander - 400 - .1%

Other race - 13,677 - 2.5%

Two or more races - 11,000 - 2.0%

Hispanic - 25,774 - 4.7%

Seattle (city proper):

White - 394,889 - 70.1%

Black - 47,541 - 8.4%

American Indian - 5,659 - 1.0%

Asian - 73,910 - 13.1%

Hawaiian/Pacific Islander - 2,804 - 0.5%

Other race - 13,423 - 2.5%

Two or more races - 25,148 - 4.5%

Hispanic - 29,719 - 5.3%

The two cities are somewhat similar, but with Nashville having a much higher black population and Seattle has a much higher Asian population.

**There are also a fair number of foreign born residents, including the largest Kurdish population in the United States (about 8-10,000 people...they call us "Little Kurdistan")

Thank you! Impressive layout! (you would make an terrific reference librarian!! :thumbsup: ). That was a perfect visual for me. And understandable for me as well after reading that and will be a great table to spur on some conversation!! Thank you! Knowledge is power :D

I remembered another question I had (and I figure I will only continue to gather up info as I get more and more excited to make a move). Does anyone know some good zip codes I could plug in as we continue to look at homes etc.? I have Franklin/Hendersonville down pretty well, but any others closer in that have some good areas for homes would be terrific. I think I found a few for Green Hills and Hillsboro area - any tips on some good zip areas that are more in the Eastern urban areas since I know there are some areas to avoid, others that are up and coming, and some that are already in their prime. (and to job my memory - is the hillsboro/Belmont area considered in/around Vanderbilt?).

Hey Ms. Momma,

I can't answer this as well as others here, since I am not from Nashville, but based on my searches.... Green hills is 37215, belle meade 37205, Franklin 37069 and 37064, and then theres 37204 (belmont/green hills, I think).... I am not very familiar with the east side zip codes... I usually put germantown and historic edgefield and inglewood down on the subdivision part of that website I gave you.... but you may be better off with actual zipcodes for the east side....

Paula

Ack! Ack! Egad!

I lived in Hillsboro/Belmont for 17 years in a nice quaint places. When time came to buy a house, I couldn't afford my own neighborhood. Today, I visited realtor.com to check out availabilities (curiosity) and find that I'll probably never be able to move back. But, I'm very happy in Inglewood, thank goodness. My 1500 sq. foot ranch plus giant two-car attached garage (and, I oh-so-humbly submit, my remarkable landscaping) is fine for me. When I think of what I have and what I paid for it, I'm aghast at the financial commitments it takes to move to the ultra-trendy sections of town. I'm content spending my discretionary income on things I want and need and not spending all of it on a car payment and a living room with no furniture. I like to shop, what can I say?

This is great, a house I bought 8 years ago in Inglewood is bigger and nicer than some I see at 37212 for LOTS more. They do have beautiful areas, though. There are varied price points in good areas all over town. One just has to keep the eyes open.

My secret to the happy, trendy life? Keep in touch with old neighbors. You can always visit, have dinner, and YOU don't have to pay their taxes or mow their lawns. And hopefully, they'll have a pool.

Hey Dave,

I have a question... is the Belmont/Waverly area any good? We had a realtor in Nashville call us about a house there for sale... its around 120,000... which is a great price for the belmont area... but when it's belmont/waverly is that still good? Is it close to music row? I looked it up on the map and haven't been able to figure out what its close to. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!!!

Paula

Archived